Auto update doesn't work

I'm a Pro user and I've been using the pro version for probably a year now and as far as I know auto update has never worked. I've read dozens of forum posts going all the way back to 2008 where others had this issue and I never saw any real resolutions.

1. MBAM Scheduler Service is running and is set to auto-start

2. MBAM runs on Windows start

3. My account is administrator level

4. My computer is always on and logged in during the scheduled update time

5. I do have an update task set in the MBAM scheduler

6. I checked the Windows Task Scheduler and there are no tasks for MBAM

7. I tried creating my own Windows Task Scheduler update task using the command line calling "C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /update -silent as mentioned in the mbam.chm help file, but every time I ran the command line it would bring up a pop-up window saying that Malwarebytes is already running.

Windows Vista 64-bit, SP2, all Windows updates.

Bitdefender AV, but previously used Norton and it never updated then either.

Thanks.

Solved (sort of):

A reboot solved the problem with the "Malwarebytes is already running" issue when running the update from the command line. So I was successfully able to make a Windows Task Scheduler task to update it using:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /update -silent

So I guess the task scheduler in MBAM doesn't work but as long as I can do it myself with Windows TS, good enough.

Hello and :welcome:

Sorry you are having issues with your Malwarebytes, there is no reason to have to do it using the windows task scheduler, if you like someone can look at your logs to figure out why its not updating as it should.....

Please run the tools below and ATTACH (do not copy and paste) the logs so someone can better assist you.

Please post an mbam-check log:

Create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please attach the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next reply
Next:

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt

You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I noticed in CheckResult the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\autoupdate = 0, so I tried changing it to 1 and changing the scheduled update to a few minutes later than the current time, waited for it, but it still didn't run the autoupdate (I'm watching in task manager and also have it set to display a notification when an update occurs.) I changed the key back to 0.

CheckResults.txt

dds.txt

attach.txt

• Root Admin

Well the computer is experiencing some issues that need to be resolved. I would recommend running a Disk Check on your drives.

CHKDSK C: /R

CHKDSK D: /R

CHKDSK E: /R

CHKDSK G: /R

Please run a Full Disk Check on your system drive. If needed here are some links on how to run a Disk Check.

On Windows Vista / 7 the disk check log is in the Event Logs under Application with a heading source of Wininit

How to Run Disk Check in Windows Vista / 7

How to Read the Event Viewer Log for Check Disk (chkdsk) in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8

==== Event Viewer Messages From Past Week ========.9/30/2013 1:54:26 PM, Error: Ntfs [55]  - The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \\?\Volume{a1314e0e-6c53-4da1-896d-9876562a6298}.9/30/2013 1:54:00 PM, Error: Ntfs [55]  - The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume H:.9/30/2013 1:53:58 PM, Error: Ntfs [55]  - The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \\?\Volume{70ecfc9f-b142-11e2-9b5f-fa1a369aa39b}.9/29/2013 10:40:36 AM, Error: EventLog [6008]  - The previous system shutdown at 10:37:28 PM on 9/28/2013 was unexpected.10/4/2013 1:53:43 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7026]  - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:  Beep10/4/2013 1:53:43 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7023]  -10/4/2013 1:52:36 AM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-PrintSpooler [19]  - The print spooler failed to share printer Brother HL-2040 with shared resource name Brother HL-2040. Error 2114. The printer cannot be used by others on the network.10/3/2013 11:51:08 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient [20]  - Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070103: NVIDIA Corporation - Audio Device, Other hardware - NVIDIA High Definition Audio.10/3/2013 1:21:19 AM, Error: PlugPlayManager [12]  - The device 'USB Mass Storage Device' (USB\VID_04E8&PID_61C8\00000000011E0D46) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.10/3/2013 1:21:19 AM, Error: PlugPlayManager [12]  - The device 'Samsung P3 Portable USB Device' (USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Samsung&Prod_P3_Portable&Rev_3_\00000000011E0D46&0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.10/2/2013 9:36:03 PM, Error: VDS Dynamic Provider [10]  - The provider failed while storing notifications from the driver. The Virtual Disk Service should be restarted. hr=8004250510/2/2013 6:48:59 PM, Error: bowser [8003]  - The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer CORE2DUO that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{F6499D23-21AF-4240-8805-6F26C348B049}. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.10/2/2013 10:20:49 PM, Error: disk [11]  - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk6\DR6.10/2/2013 10:11:52 PM, Error: disk [11]  - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\DR5.10/1/2013 9:54:38 PM, Error: PlugPlayManager [12]  - The device 'USB Mass Storage Device' (USB\VID_0930&PID_6545\5B811E00008D) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.10/1/2013 9:54:38 PM, Error: PlugPlayManager [12]  - The device 'USB Flash Memory USB Device' (USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_&Prod_USB_Flash_Memory&Rev_PMAP\5B811E00008D&0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.10/1/2013 4:11:38 PM, Error: PlugPlayManager [12]  - The device 'USB Mass Storage Device' (USB\VID_13FE&PID_1F00\50E6990A001A5B) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.10/1/2013 4:11:38 PM, Error: PlugPlayManager [12]  - The device 'OCZ DIESEL USB Device' (USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_OCZ&Prod_DIESEL&Rev_PMAP\50E6990A001A5B&0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal..==== End Of File ===========================

Resetting the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware schedules from the command line.

There is a 15 minute randomized delay in the scheduler for MBAM updates so + or - 15 minutes is normal for updates with the scheduler. Scans will run at the time set for though.

From an elevated admin command prompt please do the following.

How to Open an Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 7

Please type the following and press the Enter key at the end of the line.

You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

On Windows XP and Windows 7 x86

CD "%ProgramFiles%\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware"

On Windows 7 x64

CD "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware"

Please type the following and press the Enter key at the end of each line. There will not be any feedback normally unless you type it wrong.

mbam.exe /unschedule /all

mbam.exe /schedule /update /silent /hourly /every 4 /starting 10/04/2013 16:15:00 /recover 2

mbam.exe /schedule /scan -quick -log -silent -remove -reboot /silent /daily /every 1 /starting 10/04/2013 17:30:00 /recover 23

Now open the MBAM program and go to the Protection tab and click on the Scheduler button

If completed correctly it should look very similar to the image below.

scheduler_settings_zps5f895d05.png

>> Well the computer is experiencing some issues that need to be resolved. I would recommend running a Disk Check on your drives.

>> 9/30/2013 1:54:26 PM, Error: Ntfs [55] - The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \\?\Volume{a1314e0e-6c53-4da1-896d-9876562a6298}. 9/30/2013 1:54:00 PM, Error: Ntfs [55] - The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume H:. 9/30/2013 1:53:58 PM, Error: Ntfs [55] - The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \\?\Volume{70ecfc9f-b142-11e2-9b5f-fa1a369aa39b}.

Actually these are not issues. This is because I had a Mac partitioned external hard drive attached to the system (setting up a hackintosh). They're not my internal drives.

>> 10/3/2013 11:51:08 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient [20] - Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the

>> following update with error 0x80070103: NVIDIA Corporation - Audio Device, Other hardware - NVIDIA High Definition Audio.

And this one was just a driver Windows Update was offering but it was older than my installed one from NVIDIA.

>> 10/3/2013 1:21:19 AM, Error: PlugPlayManager [12] - The device 'Samsung P3 Portable USB

>> Device' (USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Samsung&Prod_P3_Portable&Rev_3_\00000000011E0D46&0) disappeared from the system

>> without first being prepared for removal.

All of these instances were having to forceably remove USB drives because Windows would not release them and I grew impatient waiting. Nothing important was on these. It was all while I was ferrying files for the hackintosh build.

>> 9/30/2013 1:54:26 PM, Error: Ntfs [55] - The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility

>>on the volume \\?\Volume{a1314e0e-6c53-4da1-896d-9876562a6298}. 9/30/2013 1:54:00 PM, Error: Ntfs [55] - The file system

>>structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume H:. 9/30/2013 1:53:58 PM, Error: Ntfs [55]

>>- The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \\?\Volume{70ecfc9f-

>>b142-11e2-9b5f-fa1a369aa39b}.

Let me explain this better... This was an external USB drive with one partition set to HFS+ (OSX) and one partition as NTFS. I was having trouble repartitioning it in Windows and it gave me those errors. I then repartitioned it in OSX and it was fine. Regardless, this was an external drive (H:) and is something I just bought a week ago and almost never have it connected. My issues have been going back a year or more now.

Then please try the following.

MBAM Clean Removal Process

I will do this, but as I was looking through my MBAM settings to record the Ignore List I suddenly saw it pick up an update. This was barely within the 15 minute window from the last update time I set when I set it to Hourly. Because I was in the MBAM window when this happened, I don't know if it was an auto update or if by double clicking on the ignored item somehow triggered an update, but regardless, it may have updated itself for once. The ONLY change I made to the scheduled task was to set it to Hourly instead of Daily. I wonder if this might be the source of the problems.

But I have a question: Is there a way to roll back or delete the definitions so I can test the auto update by setting it for 20 minutes from now? Because it just got the latest update so I will have to wait a day or two until a new update is available to know if this change or running the clean removal process and reinstalling helped anything.

Thanks!

Nevermind, I found the protection log files in C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs that tell me when updates are run. It looks like it ran the scheduled update several times today since it was set on Hourly... I will do some testing.

Looking through the old logs I'm seeing an interesting pattern... I tend to just put my computer into sleep mode at night instead of actually rebooting it. There have been periods where I had it on for a month or more between reboots. During these long sessions without a reboot, there can be days or whole weeks at a time there are no log entries made, which means no updates were attempted. I can tell when a reboot happened in the log because it makes "Starting protection" entries. It appears that during the day or two following a reboot, there are usually some auto updates that happen. Occasionally, they happen successfully and I see an entry:

2013/09/25 18:45:30 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Executing scheduled update:  Daily
2013/09/25 18:45:35 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Database already up-to-date

or

2013/09/25 23:44:24 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Executing scheduled update:  Daily
2013/09/25 23:44:28 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Scheduled update executed successfully:  database updated from version v2013.09.25.09 to version v2013.09.26.01

But there are many other times where the update doesn't ever seem to finish:

2013/09/21 11:19:59 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Executing scheduled update:  Daily

(... no other entries follow to signify a successful update or that the database is already updated.)

There are no update attempts in the logs until the next reboot on 9/25 -- 4 days without an update attempt. There are other log entries of blocked processes, but no update attempts.

It apears to me that the auto updater is getting stuck at some point and the process never finishes, therefore MBAM's scheduler never initiates the next scheduled update until reboot. Like I said, there are gaps in my logs longer than a week with no update attempts. I usually update the definitions myself manually when it starts bugging me about the database being outdated by 7 days.

So ultimately, I'm suspecting this is a bug in MBAM's scheduler. It should check for a stuck update process and kill it after a certain amount of time. Please report this to the development team.

Because of the nature of this problem, it may take me a week to even determine if any changes I make help.

• Root Admin

No ultimately it is Windows itself really.  We simply make a call to wake up the computer.  If Windows or power management do not respond there is nothing in our code we can do about it.

Also running Windows for a month without rebooting isn't really getting you anything except errors and issues like this.  If your computer were a server that was only serving out a file share then yes running it for months without a reboot would be perfectly fine.  Running a desktop / laptop computer is another story altogether as you probably run a web browser daily that downloads all sorts of items and has to interact with other programs and antivirus and memory.  Then most users run all sorts of other applications and often those can run threads that get orphaned when the program is closed which leads to more possible memory space issues.  Rebooting your computer at least once a week would actually help prevent issues like this.

No ultimately it is Windows itself really.  We simply make a call to wake up the computer.  If Windows or power management do not respond there is nothing in our code we can do about it.

Actually, the computer is always awake when these unfinished tasks are occuring because my scheduled update time is during the day. It's not an issue of power management. If it misses the task because of a power management issue that's one thing, but the task IS being started, just never finishing. MBAM should be able to tell this task is stuck and kill it.

Even Windows Task Scheduler has an option to kill a process when it was unable to finish. I don't see how this is Windows' fault if the process starts but is unable to finish. If you were to simply use Windows Task Manager, it would handle killing the process in these cases, but you are using your own scheduler, which doesn't seem to.

>> Also running Windows for a month without rebooting isn't really getting you anything except errors and issues like this. If your

>> computer were a server that was only serving out a file share then yes running it for months without a reboot would be perfectly

>> fine. Running a desktop / laptop computer is another story altogether as you probably run a web browser daily that downloads

>> all sorts of items and has to interact with other programs and antivirus and memory. Then most users run all sorts of other

>> applications and often those can run threads that get orphaned when the program is closed which leads to more possible

>> memory space issues. Rebooting your computer at least once a week would actually help prevent issues like this.

I understand issues can come up when you don't reboot for long periods, but this is pretty par for the course for laptop users. Close the lid, open the lid. Probably 90% of laptop users work this way. (I'm not on a laptop BTW).

I do a lot of development work and deal with many programs that are heavy (Maya, Unity, Visual Studio, Photoshop, etc.) and none of these programs exhibit any ill behavior even when Windows has been running for days or weeks at a time. Windows Task Scheduler has no problems either, so I don't think its unreasonable that a simple database update process work correctly without having to reboot every day. Norton AV, Bitdefender, and every other antivirus program I have used over the years also managed to keep their updates coming regardless of how long the PC has been on.

Also note that the updates don't start failing after a month of being on. They usually fail within days of the reboot, then continue to fail for the rest of the month after that initial failure. So we're not talking about a month of continuous use before the failure occurs -- we're talking a day or two or three. That's an absolutely typical usage pattern and should be covered.

• Root Admin

Well sorry but I don't have an answer for you as you have not done as requested either.  The logs clearly show you've never run MBAM CLEAN as requested.

If you're not satisfied with the program you can contact the help desk to see about getting a refund.

Thank you

Augiem,

I hope you're able to get the issue fixed.

I'm running Windows  64 bit on a Desktop and Laptop.

I've been running the Pro version on both PC's for about a year.  My Laptop is in Standby (Sleep) mode most of the time but I've not had any auto-update or unattended scheduled scan issues related to Standby mode.  When I wake the Laptop, it runs the update along with the Flash Scan.

I usually don't restart the Laptop on a regular basis but it will receive occasional Windows Update restarts so it gets a fresh reload every once in a while.

My Desktop is in use daily but I also use the Standby mode instead of shutting it down or locking the PC (<win> l).

However, I disabled the "hibernate" power option in "powercfg" on my Desktop because I prefer a faster wake after Standby and I don't have the need of saving the session environment to the HDD prior to entering Stansby since I always close up apps, Outlook, IE, etc, before initiating Sleep mode.

I'm using another program's Backup tool to wake my Desktop a few minutes before my overnight MBAM scan begins so I haven't tested the MBAM "wakeup PC" feature but I'm guessing that it works ok for most users.

I wonder if MBAM uses their code (in Windows Vista & 7) to prevent the PC from returning to Standby mode before any unattended scheduled scan completes.

I had to change the "unattended sleep timeout" value in the Registry to keep my PC awake during unattended scans when I was running a previous AV product.

That was necessary since the default timeout value in Vista and 7 is set for 120 seconds in the Registry.  I set mine to 5 hours since my current AV tool (Norton) has an option to put the PC back to sleep after its unattended scan completes. 

Well sorry but I don't have an answer for you as you have not done as requested either.  The logs clearly show you've never run MBAM CLEAN as requested.

If you're not satisfied with the program you can contact the help desk to see about getting a refund.

Thank you

I'm trying to be helpful and share what I discovered from the logs about what specfically is going on with this updating problem, which as a quick google search will show, has been going on for over 5 years. I thought that maybe by doing so you'd be able to track down the source of this persistent problem finally and never have to deal with it again. If the developers choose to ignore it, that's fine, but the information is there. I am a programmer too and I'm pretty good at finding bugs.

Like I said, I would try the clean uninstall, but also it would take at least a week for me to determine if its updating consistently. It's only been a few hours, so don't expect me to post any results on this today.

Augiem,

I hope you're able to get the issue fixed.

I'm running Windows  64 bit on a Desktop and Laptop.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm glad to hear you haven't had any problems with it. That's good. My case is a little different because I never have it wake from sleep for any reason. My computer is almost always on all day until 2-3 am and my updates are scheduled well before that. If for some reason its in standby when the update is scheduled, I'd expect it to just try running the next day, which would be fine.

I'll report back here a week from now on progress.

Well, I thought I wouldn't be posting back for a week, but after the clean removal and reinstall its not updating anymore at all even after a reboot. I tried three times to schedule updates for 20 minutes in the future, the first time set to Daily and the 2nd and 3rd time set to Hourly. I let more than 20 minutes pass beyond the scheduled update time before I determined it wasn't going to update (since you said +/- 15 minutes).

It's now been more than an hour since the last update should have been run, but the logs show no attempt.

2013/10/04 17:45:45 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Executing scheduled update:  Daily
2013/10/04 17:45:46 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Starting protection
2013/10/04 17:45:46 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Protection started successfully
2013/10/04 17:45:46 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Starting IP protection
2013/10/04 17:45:52 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully
2013/10/04 18:11:18 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Starting protection
2013/10/04 18:11:18 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Protection started successfully
2013/10/04 18:11:18 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Starting IP protection
2013/10/04 18:11:25 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully
2013/10/04 19:04:16 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Executing scheduled update:  Hourly

There was one attempt the moment I reinstalled after doing the clean uninstall that failed. Rebooted after the install as instructed in the link. After the reboot, my 3rd attempt actually tried to execute (the last line), but obviously failed and never finished. The DB is > 180 days out of date (because of the fresh install), yet the hung task 1) did not update the db and 2) is hung so it guarantees I will never receive any updates during this session.

Using Windows Task Scheduler:

2013/10/04 20:20:07 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Starting database refresh
2013/10/04 20:20:07 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Stopping IP protection
2013/10/04 20:20:07 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE IP Protection stopped successfully
2013/10/04 20:20:09 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Database refreshed successfully
2013/10/04 20:20:09 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE Starting IP protection
2013/10/04 20:20:10 -0700 AUGIE-COREI7 Augie MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

Updated.

• Root Admin

If you want this to work then I really think you need to have someone assist you with reviewing for possible infections or conflicts but if you want disagree with them or not follow their directions then they're not going to help you.  I don't mean to be negative here but I've been doing computer support for over 20 years now and I've helped thousands of users get their computer working when they follow directions.

As for antivirus able to update all the time I'm sorry but I disagree with you.  I've managed very large networks with over a hundred thousand desktops and there are always about 3% of those desktops that need manual intervention to fix issues with updates or running and which kept Analyst busy every month.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue. 

There are tools and methods to check on why something is or is not working but we do not allow their use in this forum.  Those type of issues need to be handled in the other forum as listed in that link.   

If you want I can assist you, or you can choose someone else or you can even use the Helpesk if you like but bottom line is "something" is wrong with your computer.  I can't share the exact figures but we have thousands of users purchase the software each month and as you can see from the forum that there are only a handful of helpers.  If the updater was as bad as you make it out to be we would be inundated with so many requests we wouldn't be able to handle the amount of tickets that would generated.  I myself have almost a dozen different computers of my own and none of them have issues updating the software and I'm sure if you let us we can get it working for you too.

Thank you again

If you want this to work then I really think you need to have someone assist you with reviewing for possible infections or conflicts but if you want disagree with them or not follow their directions then they're not going to help you.

Thanks for your reply.

There is not one thing you have told me to do that I have not done.

Thanks again, but I'm inclined to decline your help as thus far it has amounted to nothing more than copy and paste. Thanks and have a good one.