Flash and Silverlight?

Weyoun

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been asked before or not, I can't seem to find if it has so I apologize if it has and I just missed it. On the MBAE page on the malwarebytes.org website it says "Java, Flash, Shockwave, Acrobat, and any other browser plugin", but on the MBAE interface it does not list Flash and Silverlight as being protected applications. Are they covered, or is it that they will be covered in a future release?

Thanks!

Weyoun

• Staff

Yes, any modules which may be loaded within the browser (such as Flash, Java, Shockwave, Acrobat, Silverlight, etc.) will be protected by MBAE. In the shields tab it doesn't mention each one individually as there may be thousands of available plug-ins, add-ons, etc.

Great! Why does it specifically mention Java then? I was thinking since it mentioned that one (Java) specifically that it would for others such as Flash and Silverlight; good to know that it will cover Flash and Silverlight, Silverlight is a must have for me, so I can watch hours upon hours of Star Trek on Netflix... lol :P

• Staff

Not only Java, also Acrobat is shown separately. This is because these two are "special" apps. Not only do they function as browser plugins but also as independent apps (think opening a pdf attached to email). They are also by far the most targeted apps in terms of exploits.

Ah, that makes sense. I know all about Java being targeted, I use Java as absolutely little as possible. I know about Acrobat being a separate app, but I didn't know Java could be used as a stand alone app, I thought it was within the browser only. Well anyway, now it makes sense, so thanks for explaining :) So it is all plugins including but not limited to: Java, Flash, Silverlight, etc. ?  Just want to make sure I got it right.

Thanks!