Which antivirus to use

Yes all of them and searches elsewhere too.

I had said I would go for Bitdefender but the conversation here appears to be favouring Norton.

I know nothing about it. As I said I am a beginner.

I am not able to fiddle about with it I just need to install it  and let it get on with it.

Thanks for help.

geranium

I had said I would go for Bitdefender but the conversation here appears to be favouring Norton.

I am not able to fiddle about with it I just need to install it  and let it get on with it.

Thanks for help.

geranium

You should be ok with either of those choices as they're both reputable mainstream AV tools.  Those 2 were my final choices as well for me.

My nephew is running Bitdefender at his company with good results.

My experiences with Norton are ok so far, about 1 year since installed.  One thing's certain in my case; Norton is outperforming my previous 2 AV's.

I will offer one additional bit of info about my Norton experience to date.  I've not seen hardly any issues with false-positives.  Some AV's tend to detect more of those than others but there are probably numerous variables that come into play depending on one's PC habits and history.

You'll be ok as long as you realize that no AV offers 100% protection 24/7 .  That's why I'm a big proponent of full-disk HDD backup plans.

The PC / AV arena is really a wide window of diversity.  As mentioned, I know some friends that have never been affected by an intrusion.  With me, I'm also a safe surfer and have been hit on average about once per year with about half of those occurrences being repairable/cleanable on my HDD.

Thanks for help.

geranium

I'd say that if you just want something to set and forget and don't have any specific things you are looking for, any well rated AV would do you fine. I guess this takes the discussion back to the first answers given at the beginning, but its really not going to get any more clear than that. Nearly all AV software is made for people who just want it to work. It only gets complicated when you're picky (like me) and want specific things, have a certain level of control, etc. In that case, scouring reviews and going over and over on the topic makes sense, but for the average user, it probably comes more down to cost than anything else. They were not mentioned before, but FSecure, Trend Micro, and Sophos also did very well on the real-world tests and would also be fine. If all else fails, roll some dice. :D

If you're feeling adventurous, feel free to try some out. Every AV program I know of has free trials available. Or you could start with a free one like Avast, see if you like it, if not, get a trial of the next one.

New poster here, but a long term user of Malwarebytes pro (and site reader), as well as MSE user (with no issues); however, there appears to be some worrying news about MSE, if this article is in any way accurate: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/384394/microsoft-security-essentials-is-designed-to-be-bottom-of-the-antivirus-rankings. I've been doing some searching, but haven't had any real success in finding whether the article is completely true or somehow taken out of context. I did find some commentary that Microsoft is not interested in competing with AV providers in AV test rankings, reflecting some of the comments in the article, so it's all a bit confusing. If it's true, then it makes me wonder whether I should start to look at an AV purchase and then which one. Has anyone else heard anything more about what might be happening to MSE?

New poster here, but a long term user of Malwarebytes pro (and site reader), as well as MSE user (with no issues); however, there appears to be some worrying news about MSE, if this article is in any way accurate: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/384394/microsoft-security-essentials-is-designed-to-be-bottom-of-the-antivirus-rankings. I've been doing some searching, but haven't had any real success in finding whether the article is completely true or somehow taken out of context. I did find some commentary that Microsoft is not interested in competing with AV providers in AV test rankings, reflecting some of the comments in the article, so it's all a bit confusing. If it's true, then it makes me wonder whether I should start to look at an AV purchase and then which one. Has anyone else heard anything more about what might be happening to MSE?

Looking at the tests, it sounds pretty accurate: http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

Notice that white line -- that's the protection level of MSE.

I installed MSE a number of years ago on my HTPC. At that time, it was very competitive. Things have definitely changed since then. Since seeing that MSE has dropped off so badly, I replaced it with Avast free on my HTPC. I thought I'd give that one a whirl as there's really nothing to lose by doing so.

MBAM Pro real-time protection is great and blocks a lot of malware, but you really ought to have a good AV paired with it for best protection. I wasn't running Pro until Norton let through a web trojan and decided I needed another layer of protection. Running MBAM together with another AV is pretty much standard practice.

Software firewalls can also be nice to have, and most vendors have an "internet security" or similar package with a firewall. Some people have issues when doing certain things over a firewall like playing games, connecting to video chat, remote desktop, etc., but I haven't had any trouble with Symantec, Bitdefender, or Kaspersky which all do a good job of automatically handling port management.

(As a note, when I got that browsing trojan infection, between MBAM and Kaspersy, Panda, McAfee, and just about every other AV that offers a downloadable cleanup tool, I got rid of most of the infection. I ended up finding a suspicious DLL in the startup myself and quarantined it. I sent the file to Symantec's labs reporting it was suspicious, and they replied back saying their team had found nothing suspicious in the DLL. Fast forward about a year to 3 days ago and Bitdefender found my quarantined DLL in the folder I put it in and flagged it as a trojan! A whole year went by before the AV community confirmed that DLL was malware! I replaced Norton only 3-4 months ago and it didn't flag it either. Come to think of it, MBAM still doesn't flag it. [i kept the DLL around just in case]).

From the MSE article you linked:

Previously, Microsoft would spend resources trying to improve Security Essentials' performance in tests. "We used to have part of our team directed towards predicting test results and figuring out what might be in someone’s test. There’s always a cost to that,"

If I'm reading that correctly, that means MS had a team just to game the tests. Oh brother. So if MS is doing it, we can assume everyone else is too. AnandTech just recently did a big expose on how almost all mobile device makers are cheating in the benchmarks and have gamed the CPU tests to such a degree over the years the results are now meaningless. This is beyond frustrating that this corruption has to exist in every spectrum. It makes it so that if you rely on tests, benchmarks, and the like, you're just being fooled by whichever company is the best at cheating. Disgusting.

Well, talk about coincidence. I was just checking my bank account online and they have an offer for one year's free subscription for Bitdefender Internet Security 2013. So I've downloaded it and will see how it goes while waiting to see if anything arises with MSE down the track. The installation of Bitdefender showed that there were no existing issues on my PC, so all that I can assume is that MSE has been doing its job.

Well, talk about coincidence. I was just checking my bank account online and they have an offer for one year's free subscription for Bitdefender Internet Security 2013. So I've downloaded it and will see how it goes while waiting to see if anything arises with MSE down the track. The installation of Bitdefender showed that there were no existing issues on my PC, so all that I can assume is that MSE has been doing its job.

Awesome! I forgot banks did that now and then. Bank of America sometimes offers McAfee and I know Comcast gives you 7 free Norton IS accounts with internet service, which I why I was using Norton for several years. Got a free after rebate 3 user copy of BitDefender IS w/ 2 yr subscription, so I thought I'd try that for a while.

That was a bust! Bitdefender alerted me to a Windows update (I can't now remember what it was), which I approved and the update proceeded (in the Bitdefender dialogue box) and on completion required a restart. Once restarted, Bitdefender didn't work, saying services couldn't be started, restart or contact support. I restarted twice with the same result and then did a system restore and went back to MSE. Once restored, I checked for Windows updates and nothing like what Bitdefender noted as an update appeared.

Bitdefender crashed less than three hours after installation! Big thumbs down for Bitdefender.

Yes, but one needs to be careful about some of these as often they are "special" versions that are trimmed down and often do not have all the features of the FULL product.  Not saying this is the case for your Bitdefender but the Norton from Comcast is not the full retail version.

Actually the one from Comcast is the full product. I used it for 3-4 years and it has every feature of the retail version. It doesn't have any Comcast branding anymore and they update the core version all the time to the latest (but that requires you redownload it as it will not update year versions by itself).

That was a bust! Bitdefender alerted me to a Windows update (I can't now remember what it was), which I approved and the update proceeded (in the Bitdefender dialogue box) and on completion required a restart. Once restarted, Bitdefender didn't work, saying services couldn't be started, restart or contact support. I restarted twice with the same result and then did a system restore and went back to MSE. Once restored, I checked for Windows updates and nothing like what Bitdefender noted as an update appeared.

Bitdefender crashed less than three hours after installation! Big thumbs down for Bitdefender.

Sorry to hear about that. I haven't had any issues with Windows Updates, but Bitdefender does give me false positives on about 25 Windows components (log files even!) every time it does an autoscan. Curiously, it never flags these things on a full scan. There's a thread on it on their forum http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=42756 which shows this has been going on for a long time and they don't seem to know how to fix it still.

I can understand your not wanting to put up with problems during a Windows update and having to use System Restore. That would probably have been a deal-breaker for me as well had that happened.

I found it quite strange that Bitdefender failed in such a way, effectively leaving my PC without anti-virus protection. Nor was there any real warning, except that the Bitdefender icon on the taskbar was sort of greyed out (something that could be easily missed). I'm using Windows 7, so there really should be no issues with it working, nor do I understand what the important Windows update was all about. Thankfully, it was a free download.

I found it quite strange that Bitdefender failed in such a way, effectively leaving my PC without anti-virus protection. Nor was there any real warning, except that the Bitdefender icon on the taskbar was sort of greyed out (something that could be easily missed). I'm using Windows 7, so there really should be no issues with it working, nor do I understand what the important Windows update was all about. Thankfully, it was a free download.

I'm not trying to beat up on BitDefender here because I do think it's pretty good, I've just been putting it through its paces for the last few months, so I have fresh experience with it. Another annoyance I've had more often than I'd like is having websites blocked by the anti-malware/anti-phising filter when the site is simply not a threat. Even one site I went to today was blocked, the button to allow me to view the site anyway wouldn't work, and then I clicked the button to check the site's threat level on BD's servers ... No threat found according to their online checker, yet my BD was blocking it. I've had this happen maybe 10 times in the last few months, so it's not super terrible, but still... Also, their Sandboxing browsing mode is really bloated and slow, and a number of the controls that appear on the page when you get a blocked site simply don't work.

In general, I feel BitDefender has a quite a few rough edges, but I can live with that as long as the protection is good, which the tests (if they're at all accurate) show to be the case and my anecdotal personal experience with that DLL I found also shows its pretty good at finding malware other packages missed.

Oh I see, you got the Windows update THROUGH BitDefender... I turned off Automatic Vulnerability Scan which includes checking for critical Windows Updates. I think this feature is superflouous as almost all Windows users have automatic updates turned on. You could try disabling this feature from Antivirus Settings and giving the program one more shot, provided you haven't uninstalled it already. AVAST also has a program update checker, which I disabled also.

I didn't realise that this was a feature of Bitdefender and thought it was an extra level of security if something was missing. I have auto updates enabled (warn before installing), so there shouldn't have been any omissions and I thought it just caught a new update that had just come through. I would have been OK with Bitdefender if the restart had brought it back on line, but my only option to fix what was broken was to contact the Bitdefender support line, and who knows how long that would have taken. I was pretty frustrated that something like this would have brought the software to its knees so soon, which prompted me to just uninstall and stick with MSE for the time being. I'm following the recommendations of the Malwarebytes security thread and to date haven't had one issue with malware.