Java removal incomplete.

Hi.

I recently bought a new laptop. One of the first things I did was to uninstall Java from my computer.

I thought that I had successfully rid myself of Java but the logs seem to suggest otherwise...

Warnings (2)

Java Auto-Updater - Unsuccessful application removal. 15/09/2013 19:41

Java 7, Update 9 (64-bit) - Unsuccessful application reconfiguration. 15/09/2013 19:41

Informational Events (2)

Java 7, Update 9 - successful application removal. 15/09/2013 19:41

Java 7, Update 9 (64-bit) - successful application removal. 15/09/2013 19:41

The logs seem a bit contradictory.

Plus the Java deployment tooklit has been left in Firefox which I don't know how to remove. It is disabled but I would rather have all trace of it removed.

Any suggestions ?

• Root Admin

As long as the computer is not infected then I'd recommend the following.  The older tool seems to be better at removal than the newer one.

Please download JavaRa-1.16 and save it to your computer.

• Double click to open the zip file and then select all and choose Copy.
  • Create a new folder on your Desktop named RemoveJava and paste the files into this new folder.
  • Quit all browsers and other running applications.
  • Right-click on JavaRa.exe in RemoveJava folder and choose Run as administrator to start the program.
  • From the drop-down menu, choose English and click on Select.
  • JavaRa will open; click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
  • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location and post it in your next reply.

Hi.

I tried the older version. I don't think it found anything. But I did get this message at the end: cannot find the C:\Java.Ra.log file

And the Java Deployment Toolkit add-on is still in Firefox.

Should I try the newer version of Java.Ra.

Note: I'm running Windows 8 64-bit

Well, the simple fact that it's still there IS the problem.

I uninstalled Java because I do not want Java on my system and yet it left behind an add-on in my browser which I cannot remove.

I mean, okay it is disabled. But I don't like the fact that a notoriously insecure add-on has been left behind in my browser. I did not ask for it to be on my computer when I bought it and I want rid of it.

No its only a perceived problem.  It is a problem IFF something doesn't work because of its presence.

JavaRa removes the software.  That's a known fact.  If JavaRa leaves a remnant in Firefox it is just a string saying its there but the software that actually makes the add-on an application is not there. 

It not unlike going to Control Panel's "Add/Remove Programs" or "Programs and Features" and you see a line item for the software but the actual software is no longer present.  Just a line item saying it's there.

The phone book says Marvin Smith is at 110 Main Street so you go there and find the house vacant.  The phone book has entry there but the inhabitants are not there any longer.

Hi:

Just to add to what the other, more expert, members have advised, here are a couple of KB articles from mozillaZine forum.

They include instructions for manually removing Java Deployment Toolkit from Firefox -- it's quite simple, once you know the file path.

I've done it before, myself, without any problems (but it's always a good idea to back up one's profile -- FEBE or Mozbackup or similar -- before making such changes).

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Java

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Issues_related_to_plugins

This thread is a bit dated, but the information is basically still correct: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1856975

(If you search the forum there, you'll find several other, similar threads.)

HTH,

daledoc1

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I went to about:plugins in FF and found the location of the file on my comupter: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\npDeployJava1.dll

So just to check: will simply deleting 'npDeployJava1.dll' get rid of it safely without causing any browser / system instability ?

I've moved the file to 'my documents' and I now see that the Java Deployment Toolkit has disappeared from Firefox. :)

Doesn't appear to have caused any ill effects for my browser / system, but I will follow your advice and keep the file for a few days just in case.

Hopefully that's me Java free now.

Thanks again for the help.

Yup, you should be fine.

I don't install Java on any of my systems any longer, but when I removed the totally unnecessary Java Deployment Toolkit a few times in the past, I've never had any issues.

Having said that, it's a good idea to follow AdvancedSetup's expert advice.

Cheers!

daledoc1