Help! Slow laptop - but it's still new!

Kuroe

Hello. About 2 months ago, I purchased a Dell Inspiron laptop.

- 2.50 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor

- 6GB RAM

- Windows 8 (64-bit)

When I bought it, it was very fast and had no problems whatsoever. However, about 3 weeks ago, it began to slow down, and has since then only been getting slower. When I start up Chrome, it takes several seconds for what I type in the address bar to appear. Opening windows, right-clicking anything - not always, but the majority of the time is quite slow. I cannot think of anything that has happened to cause this - I have always been very cautious with what I download and it was more of a gradual thing than an immediate change.

This happens even if I have nothing running in the background - I opened task manager, and nothing seems out of place. I disabled some startup programs I did not need or care for, ran Disk Cleanup, used CCleaner, used PC-decrapifier to delete unwanted programs, I used MalwareBytes (both a full & quick scan), Avira, and SuperAntiSpyware. None of the anti-virus programs even detected anything other than a couple minor threats, which were of course removed.

It's not my internet either, it's like this no matter what I am doing. Now I'm pretty good with computers, but at this point I am at a loss of what to do. No one else uses this computer but me, it was not psychically damaged and has not ever had anything spilled on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? It's still so new and the specs are quite good, I was able to run graphic intensive games on it with no lag before, but now it's a hassle even when the settings are low! I just can't imagine what the problem could be.

• Root Admin

Hello and :welcome:

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs. 

Make sure to temporarily disable your antivirus while it's running and then re-enable it when the scanner is done.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply as an attachment: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
  • You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file and just post it or attach it.

• Root Admin

Well this is not a good sign.  You need to run a Full Disk check on this drive and possibly test it for pending failure.
If the computer has disk testing software built-in you can use that to test the hard drive.
If not then you'll need to download software to test your drive.

Seagate and Western Digital are two of the most common hard drives now days.

==== Event Viewer Messages From Past Week ========
9/28/2013 7:05:23 PM, Error: Ntfs [55]  - A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume OS. The Master File Table (MFT) contains a corrupted file record.  The file reference number is 0x2000000013306.  The name of the file is "<unable to determine file name>".
10/1/2013 10:59:30 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7022]  - The Windows Defender Service service hung on starting.
==== End Of File ===========================

Please run a Full Disk Check on your system drive.  If needed here are some links on how to run a Disk Check.

On Windows 8 the disk check log is in the Event Logs under Application with a heading source of  Chkdsk

How to Check a Drive for Errors with "chkdsk" in Windows 8

How to Read the Event Viewer Log for Check Disk (chkdsk) in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8