MBAM for home server

Guest techhead287

Guest techhead287

Hello everyone,

I have recently set up a home server for file sharing around all the computers at the house.

It's an old laptop running XP, and it already had Trend Micro on it. I want to install MBAM on it, but I'm not sure which edition to install - free or paid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest techhead287

I apoligize in advance for bumping the thread again, but I wanted to note that I also use it as a terminal server that I remote into from other locations, and the version of Trend Micro is kind of old.

• Root Admin

We're going to say you need the Pro version of course.  However if you don't use this computer for Internet browsing or email and mainly only use it to share data on a local network only then making sure the OS is fully patched and up to date and running a fully up to date live running antivirus such as avast (they offer a free version) and make sure the computer does not have or run things like Java, Flash, Acrobat Reader or similar utilities then it should be safe overall.

If on the other hand you're using it to browse and other things then it needs to be treated just like any other computer that can easily be infected by outside threats.

Guest techhead287

Thanks for the reply.

It was an old computer that I found lying around, and it has Adobe Reader 6 (very old, filled with security holes), Adobe Flash (the version where it was called Macromedia Flash, also filled with security holes), and Java (who knows how old that is!). I found that Trend Micro was installed pretty recently and it still downloads the latest updates. The computer does connect to the internet. I will have to uninstall Java (or disable it in the browser) and upgrade Flash and Adobe Reader. It does run Windows XP SP3 so it still gets updates and patches.

Our router is a DrayTek one so it does have a firewall, malware protection and DOS and DDOS protection. It's all enabled. My question is even if I have all the protection through the router, and a paid version of Trend Micro, do I still need the Pro version of MBAM, or can I get away with the free one?

Thanks

• Root Admin

Only you can really answer that question yourself.    For me it's a no brainer at $25 for a lifetime license that can easily help protect the computer, can be transferred to another computer, automated updates, automated scanning, Web blocking of known bad sites.

Regardless whether or not you do purchase the Pro version of MBAM I would still highly suggest having one of the Experts review it for any infection and clean up as needed.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Guest techhead287

Thanks for helping me with all the stuff I've posted, and for giving me that heads up over the messenger.

I'll just stick with the free version, and run scans every now and then.

I have emptied all of my questions onto the forums now, I might not be posting back for a couple of weeks.

techhead287