Malwarebytes is Detecting Installmate as PUP

Q454

Hi, I scan my laptop today with malwarebytes and it came up with 2 files that belongs to installmate as PUP which is a legitimate, licensed program used by developers for installing/updating software. I have put it on my ignore list till this is resolved. I hope this gets resolve soon, cause alote of people who don't know much are going to end up getting the same false positive and are going to delete the items. Thanks in advance

Please reference:

Malwarebytes Adopts Aggressive PUP Policy 

and

PUP.Optional listings and disputes

Due to increasing requests for Malwarebytes to take a more aggressive stance against Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) we have done exactly this, you can read our official statement HERE.

If we have listed your software as a Potentially Unwanted Program and you wish to dispute this please contact us at legal AT malwarebytes DOT org. For the subject please include the detection we are using for your software and your primary domain.

Please be advised that we are not listing PUPs as malicious or dangerous, only as the words are defined, Potentially Unwanted. Evaluation will be based on the following criteria:

How often do users intentionally install your software? <- This does not include default check marks in bundleware that we all know people don't read and usually assume are part of the intended application.

Once the user sees that your software is installed and sees that it can be removed, how often do they intentionally remove it?

Do users typically refer to your software as malware/virus/other non-benign label?

so ur telling me that is not going to be remove from the database. cause is a false positive. so ur trying to tell me that Due to increasing requests for Malwarebytes to take a more aggressive stance against Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) that I just have to keep it in the ignore list. mine u is a  is a legitimate licensed program used by developers for installing/updating software

I am not telling you anything.  I am giving you authoritative subject matter reference material.

If you have a disagreement with the detection, follow the the directions in what I quoted. 

But, if you do, I suggest you use English properly to state your case,  u no wut i mean cause wut u wrote wont help ur case.

So u trying to act all smart now because I use the word u as a short cut for you. so stop being a smart ass and concentrate on helping others like my self fix this issue. don't ever question my English or my intelligence over a miss spell or a short cut. this is a forum not who's the smartest. I came here to let people know that malwarebytes was detecting installmate as PUP and for answers, which by the looks of it this issue has not been solved like forever. instead u oh I mean you want to play Mr. Smart mouth.

No I am trying to impress upon you that your application of language is a detractor from any efforts you may have in getting a detection negation performed.

This is not good English

"so ur telling me that is not going to be remove from the database. cause is a false positive."

The objective of Language is to convey an idea from one to another.  You are failing in that attempt and I suggest you take your time and write properly and eloquently in making a request to negate the detection.  Otherwise you will have a higher probability of an unsuccessful venture and will be just ignored or shrugged off because you could not even convey why a detection negation should be performed.

I shan't be replying further.  I suggest you heed my advice and not attack it.

As David already indicated, this is not a False Positive.  Also, MBAM is by no means alone in detecting similar PUPs as "Adware.InstallMate"   It's just that some AV's choose not to detect it ...

Here are three VT reports illustrating this:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/4668135ad030312fa28aebeb2fe8264ac42992f0f5291d53869741f58d03de8c/analysis/

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/fc5e0e2b6887dbe2a9ff4163556b2c1251e9fc34fc43f39df83ae0dd06f6089f/analysis/

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/3d6ddff86008070348686f613e1ea317f5741ba91ff8a6877794ba678edf7233/analysis/+