Applied fixes, hangs on reboot

gyster

Looks like that is the culprit, Set system back to normal boot. Do not re-boot yet. Select start > type services.msc into the search box and hit enter. The services window will open.

Scroll to the service for the problem entry, right click on that entry and select Properties In the new window change the start up type to manual . select apply > ok.

Close out services windows and re-boot, With the problem service set to manual it will be inactive at boot. Do we have a fix?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the following services disabled, and haven't had any hang ups in a couple days:

AdobeSwitchboard

TomTomHomeService

Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Intel Management and Security Application User Notification Service

Intel PROset/Wireless Zero Configuration Service

I plan to run like this for a week or so, then turn on services one by one with about a week to run on each configuration until I find the offending service.  If I'm lucky, the first service I enable will cause the problem, and I won't have to run for a whole week at a time.  :)

Personally I would turn off all none essential entries running at boot, they can be started manually when/if needed.

Do you have CCleaner installed? if so run CCleaner, select > Tools > Start up > Windows tab. That will show the full list of start up entries, look to the bottom right hand corner you will see "Save to text file" use that option and post the file for me to see....

Kevin....

Yeah...me again...I had to boot in safe mode this afternoon because after 3 or 4 hangs on startup, I got a brief blue screen, then the system tried to run startup repair.  I did not select restore, and let it run.  When finished it said it couldn't correct the problem.  I safe mode, I ran msconfig>unchecked run startup items, and disabled all non-ms services.  I started Norton 360, downloaded and ran CC, and here's that file:

No HKCU:Run TomTomHOME.exe TomTom "C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMERunner.exe"
Yes HKCU:RunOnce Del766744 Microsoft Corporation cmd.exe /Q /D /c del "C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Local\Temp\0.del"
No HKLM:Run AccuWeatherWidget Unlimited Realities "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Stage\Dell Stage\AccuWeather\accuweather.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Stage\Dell Stage\AccuWeather\start.umj" --startup
No HKLM:Run Acrobat Assistant 8.0 Adobe Systems Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe"
No HKLM:Run Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat_sl.exe"
No HKLM:Run Adobe ARM Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
No HKLM:Run Adobe Creative Cloud Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe" --showwindow=false --onOSstartup=true
No HKLM:Run AdobeAAMUpdater-1.0 Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\UWA\UpdaterStartupUtility.exe"
No HKLM:Run AdobeCS6ServiceManager Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS6ServiceManager\CS6ServiceManager.exe" -launchedbylogin
No HKLM:Run Apoint Alps Electric Co., Ltd. C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
No HKLM:Run APSDaemon Apple Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
No HKLM:Run BTMTrayAgent Microsoft Corporation rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\btmshell.dll",TrayApp
No HKLM:Run Dell DataSafe Online Dell, Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Datasafe Online\NOBuClient.exe
No HKLM:Run Dell Webcam Central Creative Technology Ltd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Webcam\Dell Webcam Central\WebcamDell2.exe" /mode2
No HKLM:Run DellStage Unlimited Realities "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Stage\Dell Stage\stage_primary.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Stage\Dell Stage\start.umj" --startup
No HKLM:Run GrooveMonitor Microsoft Corporation "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
No HKLM:Run HotKeysCmds Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
No HKLM:Run HP Software Update Hewlett-Packard C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
No HKLM:Run IAStorIcon Intel Corporation C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIconLaunch.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe" 60
No HKLM:Run IgfxTray Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
No HKLM:Run IntelMyWiFiDashboard Intel® Corporation C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\CCDashServer.exe /startup
No HKLM:Run IntelTBRunOnce Microsoft Corporation wscript.exe //b //nologo "C:\Program Files\Intel\TurboBoost\RunTBGadgetOnce.vbs"
No HKLM:Run iTunesHelper Apple Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
No HKLM:Run NeroLauncher Nero AG C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\SyncUP\NeroLauncher.exe 900
No HKLM:Run Persistence Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
No HKLM:Run QuickTime Task Apple Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
No HKLM:Run Stage Remote ArcSoft, Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Stage Remote\StageRemote.exe -Quiet
No HKLM:Run SwitchBoard Adobe Systems Incorporated C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard\SwitchBoard.exe
No HKLM:Run SysTrayApp IDT, Inc. C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM\sttray64.exe
No HKLM:Run TkBellExe RealNetworks, Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Real\RealPlayer\update\realsched.exe"  -osboot
No HKLM:Run USB3MON Intel Corporation "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver\Application\iusb3mon.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run vProt AVG Technologies "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG SafeGuard toolbar\vprot.exe"
Yes HKLM:RunOnce Del766744 Microsoft Corporation cmd.exe /Q /D /c del "C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Local\Temp\0.del"
No Startup Common Audible Download Manager.lnk Audible, Inc. C:\PROGRA~2\Audible\Bin\AUDIBL~1.EXE /Startup
No Startup Common HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\PROGRA~2\HP\DIGITA~1\bin\hpqtra08.exe
No Startup User NexDef Plug-in.lnk  C:\Users\Guy\AppData\Local\Autobahn\nexdef.exe

Haha...you could likely guess.  :)  I'm going to stay the course on process of elimination of services, and see if I can isolate the problem.  As long as it doesn't just quit on me, it's ok.  If I go get bored with that or it does stop booting, I'll go to safe mode and format....In the meantime, I'll back everything up this weekend.  Thanks for your help and the ideas on where to look!

Guy

Personally I believe we`ve taken this as far as we can, I recommend a format  and re-installation.... Once you`re back on track this is my advice....

Make proper use of your antivirus and firewall

Antivirus and Firewall programs are integral to your computer security. However, just having them installed isn't enough. The definitions of these programs are frequently updated to detect the latest malware, if you don't keep up with these updates then you'll be vulnerable to infection. Many antivirus and firewall programs have automatic update features, make use of those if you can. If your program doesn't, then get in the habit of routinely performing manual updates, because it's important.

You should keep your antivirus and firewall guard enabled at all times, NEVER turn them off unless there's a specific reason to do so. Also, regularly performing a full system scan with your antivirus program is a good idea to make sure you're system remains clean. Once a week should be adequate. You can set the scan to run during a time when you don't plan to use the computer and just leave it to complete on its own.

Install and use WinPatrol from here http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html  This will inform you of any attempted unauthorized changes to your system.

WinPatrol features explained here http://www.winpatrol.com/features.html

Go here http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/ run the FileHippo Update Checker, update all applications as suggested by the Update Checker. Ignore any Beta updates. (Use stand alone version, not a full install)

If Java or Adobe are updated please check under Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, ensure any old versions are removed. <--- Very important

Use a safer web browser

Internet Explorer is not the most secure tool for browsing the web. It has been known to be very susceptible to infection, and there are a few good free alternatives:

FireFox http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/,

Opera http://www.opera.com/, and

Chrome http://www.google.com/chrome.

All of these are excellent faster, safer, more powerful and functional free alternatives to Internet Explorer. It's definitely worth the short period of adjustment to start using one of these. If you wish to continue using Internet Explorer, it would be a good idea to follow the tutorial here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial102.html which will help you to make IE MUCH safer.

These browser add-ons will help to make your browser safer:

Web of Trust warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous ones:

Available for Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Green to go,

Yellow for caution, and

Red to stop.

Available for Firefox only. NoScript helps to block malicious scripts and in general gives you much better control over what types of things webpages can do to your computer while you're browsing.

These are just a couple of the most popular add-ons, if you're interested in more, take a look at this article:

http://browsers.about.com/od/addonsplugi2/tp/browser_security_privacy.htm

Here a couple of links by two security experts that will give some excellent tips and advice.

So how did I get infected in the first place by Tony Klein from here: http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?/topic/60955-so-how-did-i-get-infected-in-the-first-place/

How to prevent Malware by Miekiemoes from here: http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/prevention.html

Finally this link http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/38-free-antivirus-and-antispyware-software will give a comprehensive upto date list of free Security programs. To include - Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewall, Antimalware, Online scanners and rescue CD`s.

Don`t forget, the best form of defense is common sense. If you don`t recognize it, don`t open it. If something looks to good to be true, then it aint.

Let me know when its OK to close out your thread....

Take care,

Kevin

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!