Hello  :)

Firstly, I have been using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for a few months now and I am very happy with the product, so I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the Malwarebytes staff for contributing to producing such a fantastic product.

However, I do have some suggestions to make the product better, I would be extremely grateful if these changes were implemented into your next product version:

1. Can the User Account Control (UAC) warning be removed/skipped? (Like CCleaner does)

I find it quite annoying, especially as I trust Malwarebytes with my PC, so I don't want to keep pressing 'Yes' every single time I want to use it. Also, as far as I'm aware, you cannot add UAC exceptions in Windows 8; otherwise I would've just done that.

2. Could you make the 'Database is outdated' message appear, even when you scan a file/folder with Malwarebytes?

At the moment, it only comes up when you open the application directly. So, if you want to scan just the odd file every now and again which you've just downloaded to double-check it's clean, you end up scanning with outdated database definitions.

Thanks very much,

Transformers

• Root Admin

Hello Transformers and :welcome:

If using the paid Pro version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware then we already do address #1 as the program runs under a service account.  If using the free version then it runs under your account and that is normal to have the UAC ask for permission to a program that can make changes anywhere on the computer.  I do not see us making any changes to the free version to allow it to run as a service at this time.

For item #2 not sure if it can be done but we'll add it to the list of possible program changes for the future.

Thank you

If using the paid Pro version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware then we already do address #1 as the program runs under a service account.  If using the free version then it runs under your account and that is normal to have the UAC ask for permission to a program that can make changes anywhere on the computer.  I do not see us making any changes to the free version to allow it to run as a service at this time.

For item #2 not sure if it can be done but we'll add it to the list of possible program changes for the future.

Thank you

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I now know you're not planning on running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as a service, so could I do this instead, tick the 'Run the program as an administrator' option.  Would that remove the UAC prompt? Is that a good solution and is that safe?

Lastly, although I would be very grateful if you could do feedback #2, I do have an alternative if it's not possible. Allow MBAM to scan individual files/folders even when the application is already running. As currently, the message 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is already running' comes up and it doesn't continue with the scan. This way, the database definitions get updated directly on the application's start-up, then it just continues with the users' specific scan. If that makes sense......

Kind regards,

Transfomers

PS: Would you like me to call you AdvancedSetup or Ron (or even something else) when replying to you in future?  :)

• Root Admin

No setting our program to run as Administrator will actually cause it to not function properly.   You can disable UAC (no recommended), or look at purchasing the program, or just put up with the UAC prompt which again is normal.

I'm sorry but we will not be implementing any type of automated updates for the free version as that is at least one of the reason to purchase the product.  The Protection Modules are a much better reason to help keep the computer from becoming infected in the first place.

You can call me Ron, AS, AdvancedSetup whichever you like.

Thanks

No setting our program to run as Administrator will actually cause it to not function properly.   You can disable UAC (no recommended), or look at purchasing the program, or just put up with the UAC prompt which again is normal.

I'm sorry but we will not be implementing any type of automated updates for the free version as that is at least one of the reason to purchase the product.  The Protection Modules are a much better reason to help keep the computer from becoming infected in the first place.

Thanks

Hi Ron,

I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't asking for automatic background updates. The user would still have to:

1. Open MBAM.

2. Say 'Yes' to the UAC prompt.

3. Say 'Yes' to update the database definitions if they are older than 1 day. (The user has to edit the settings in the program first to be able to get this prompt to come up in future).

4. Then wait for the update to download and install.

5. Then finally find the file and right-click it, then press 'Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware'.

To me that is still a long process, but shorter than the current one. Also, it would still give the user a reason to want to upgrade to the Pro version, as with the Pro version, I'm presuming you just right-click the file and press 'Scan'. Also with the Pro version, the user doesn't ever have to update the database manually, so MBAM Pro is always scanning with the latest version of its database definitions (as you already know).

I hope that makes sense, if it doesn't I will be happy to give a more detailed explanation. Otherwise, you can just stick with feedback #2, if it's easier for us to deal with.  :)

Kind Regards,

Transformers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

As it has been just over a week, I just wanted to know did you read my above comment (in case you missed it), and does the above clarify things?  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you

Hi

I'm a little confused about the UAC/bypass post as I have the Pro version and my Windows acct is an Admin acct but I still have to click on the UAC prompt before the MBAM console launches.

I have a workaround that I use to bypass the UAC (using Windows Task Scheduler) but I'm curious as to why my paid MBAM version prompts the UAC when I launch the console or right-click on an item to perform an MBAM scan on that item.

Because the GUI is not launching as a service.  The scheduler and the scanner underneath are.   Bypassing UAC is not recommended but that's up to you.

In a future version of the program we may run it under a service account which would then negate the UAC prompt.

Thanks fk4ifp.jpg

I use the bypass for a couple of frequently-launched tools, Acronis, Speccy, MBAM, Process Explorer but I have UAC enabled in my acct.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry but I cannot answer that. We review all suggestions but the Management and Development Teams do not publicly disclose which ones will be made or not. Once program updates are made and beta or release is made then those changes are published.

Thank you again

Ron

Thanks for the reply Ron.  :)

Does that mean the 'Management and Development Team' always see all the suggestions put forward by your users on this forum? And is that the case for all your products? e.g. MBAE too.