Snap.do - MBAM doesn't see it or remove it - some reason?

GeoffinOz

Had a laptop handed to me today with the Snap.do 'helper' which proved quite hard to get rid of.   MBAM cleaned up 120+ PUP and Adware but didn't even mention Snap.do which is a browser hijacker and there was something called Griffith Service as well, not sure what that was.  Given that Snap.do is at best PUP and a browser hijacker and redirector, is there some sensible reason MBAM doesn't detect it or remove it?

Geoff in Oz

Try this:

Lets clean out any adware: (this will require a reboot so save all your work)

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.

Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator

• Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • When it's done you'll see: Pending: Please uncheck elements you don't want removed.
  • Now click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • Look over the log especially under Files/Folders for any program you want to save.
  • If there's a program you may want to save, just uncheck it from AdwCleaner.
  • If you're not sure, post the log for review. (all items found are adware/spyware/foistware)
  • If you're ready to clean it all up.....click the Clean button.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[s0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
  • Items that are deleted are moved to the Quarantine Folder: C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine
  • To restore an item that has been deleted:
  • Go to Tools > Quarantine Manager > check what you want restored > now click on Restore.
Then..................

Open up Malwarebytes > Settings Tab > Scanner Settings > Under action for PUP > Select Show in Results List and Check for removal.

Please Update and run a Quick Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, post the report.

Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

Please let me know how computer is running now, MrC

Thank you sir, I appreciate your input.   However I'd already managed to remove the problem using essentially the same method, my question was simply why doesn't MBAM detect and remove this particular bit of malware/adware?  I assume there's a reason, but I'd just like to know what it is, as it seems to me it should be able to find it and kill it.

Geoff in Oz

Thank you sir, I appreciate your input. However I'd already managed to remove the problem using essentially the same method, my question was simply why doesn't MBAM detect and remove this particular bit of malware/adware? I assume there's a reason, but I'd just like to know what it is, as it seems to me it should be able to find it and kill it.

Geoff in Oz

Some browser plug-ins are being bundled with free software and most commonly computer users install it without realizing it.

Such shady advertising have caused a bad reputation and many computer users think that these add-ons are a virus or malware which have infiltrated their computers without their consent.

In reality these browser plug-ins are not a virus, it's an unwanted application which installs on user's computer together with free software or other browser add-ons.

A good example is when you update your Java or Adobe Flash Player

Next time you update your Java make sure you remove the check mark / tick from adding the additional add-on if you don't want it.

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!