USB crash?

Yaro

Several months ago i had installed a program that snuck Entrusted and Sweetpacks on my computer, i cant remember what the program was since its long been removed, and i thought they were too until they popped up again recently, trying to hijack my browsers.

So i did a quick search on how to remediate them, and did a quick scan with Malwarebytes after checking my programs and resetting my browsers. Malwarebytes found them and a couple others that were related and listed AVGtoolbar aswell which was strange but the toolbar had tried to hijack my search engine and it was just the toolbar that i never enabled so went ahed to the removal. It showed the long list of potential things that might be infected, not wanting to risk it staying i didnt uncheck any of them.

It deletes it, i restart my computer, and now i have a black screen and an error saying that

"(path)/Malwarebytes/(Ehh..).dll was missing or could not be found." I restart thinking it was a simple error, same thing, i press enter and it shows my desktop, but my mouse is locked. Its on and it shows "Installing device software" in the corner for a second but then changes to "the installation failed 'click here to see why'" I used my phone (as i am now) to find ways to investigate this without a mouse, eventually making my way to Device Manager to see three categories of "Unknown" at the end, with the branches covering nearly all my peripherals besides my Keyboard, from Wi-Fi USB to my mouse and others. All of them had unknown properties but the same "Error 31" which should be solved by a simple restart but for me isnt by any means. I cant see what couldve caused the en masse bricking other than removing the infections but now i dont know what is wrong, if i removed something critical or if the infections did it as a last laugh or if there is a new one entirely. I'm running another scan now to try an figure things out.

Summary

- Error 31 on all peripherals except keyboard

- Happened after removing infections with Malwarebytes (latest free)

I cant run or download the dds files since my wi fi hub will not be recognized. Simply unplugging it and plugging it back in does nothing, i am considering a check disk and a rollback.

I'm sorry i cant be more informative but thank you for any help or advice you can give me.

I assume you cannot boot to safe mode, you have access to another PC?

download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here:                                                                  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

save it to a USB flash drive. Ensure to get the correct version for your system,  64 bit <--- YOU SAY THIS?

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flash drive into the infected PC.

If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt Here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8-recovery-environment-command-prompt/ to enter System Recovery Command prompt.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options I give two methods, use whichever is convenient for you.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select Your Country as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:

• Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select Your Country as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair

System Restore

Windows Complete PC Restore

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type  e:\frst64 or e:\frst depending on your version. Press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Because the computers affliction was with the USB/Peripheral drivers that wouldnt have worked simply because I would plug the flashdrive in and wouldnt be able to access it. All my drivers were marked "Unknown" in Device Manager. However I have found a solution which for me was to simply restore my computer. Luckily it did so automatically 4 days ago so I dont lose much if anything. Im sorry I couldnt provide a better solution but I thank you for your help and If I am in another situation ill be sure to come here. 

Good to hear you have restored your PC to a usable state. It is always best to make regular backups of system and important data so you never lose anything.

Windows 7 has that inherent capability but is often overlooked, have a look at the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/products/features/backup-and-restore

Take care,

Kevin....

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!