Will restoring my computer to original state fix?

jpagefan456

I have had problems ongoing for months. My biggest concerns now are my Firewall "can't" be set to recommended settings, the Windows Security Center Service is OFF (and you can't turn on), all of my "Important"  Windows Security Updates have failed over the last few months. Additionally, I experience blue screen crashes periodically and have had and may still have the Win 64 alureon.gen ! A virus.

I just found out from my own computer instruction manual if I hit the F10 on my Sony Vaio then it will take me to a process that restores the computer to the day I got it. So, I presume it basically wipes it clean.

My question is, if I do that will that really clean everything out bad and malicious that is in there now and allow my Windows Security Updates to come through again?

Thank-you in advance very much! Jayne

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes

I see you had some help back in Jul 2013, is this the same computer you were getting help with that had the rootkit infection? Doing a factory restore would clean out everything including any data you may have saved on that computer. If you perform a backup of the data make sure you only backup documents, pictures and the sort, do not backup any executable programs as those may be infected.

Once you do a factory restore you could always have an expert review your logs to see if its clean, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

Yes, it is the same computer. I had yet another issue prior to July that I came here for help too. I appreciated the help regarding the steps to take to solve the issues(s). However, no one explains in enough detail how to get to these logs or run these programs. Some of us have no tech experience at all. I remember being ticked off they couldn't include a written manual when I bought this machine. Yes, the guide is IN the computer. How clever. What if you can't figure out how to start it up?  

Honestly, it's very frustrating. In my case I'm thinking that going back to the beginning point again may be my best option. I posted this to confirm that any and all virus/malware will be gone. (provided I only backup what you suggest).  I really appreciate your reply. It's sounds like it will work out okay as long as I'm careful about what I backup and save. I only have a few letters and photos so it won't be a lot of data. I do plan to reinstall ITunes, Skype, Google Earth, and Malware Anti-Malware programs once it's clean.

Thanks very much for your time and reply. :)

As for being 100% sure, in the computer world with malware nothing is 100%. This is why I said earlier that once you restore, you could always have one of the experts check logs for you.

If you do get the computer back to factory defaults, make sure you perform updates once you are done. Also make sure you also install an antivirus program (as Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program) and update it as well before you go surfing the internet and before you copy your data back.

i'll throw my two cents in here ...

"However, no one explains in enough detail how to get to these logs or run these programs. Some of us have no tech experience at all. I remember being ticked off they couldn't include a written manual when I bought this machine. Yes, the guide is IN the computer. How clever. What if you can't figure out how to start it up?"

for the majority of "users" a simplistic and straight forward set of instructions that are specific task oriented is usually the best bet , it is akin to a set of "driving instructions" that tell you how to get from point "A" to point "B" .

the truth is that the vast majority of users do not have the wherewithal to learn the nuances of a comp system ... and most of them have no desire to learn anything beyond the basics .

and this is akin to people that drive automobiles ...

some just sit behind the wheel

some can barely keep it where the weeds have been mowed

some can delve a bit further in

some can actually and truly drive the vehicle

etc .

the reason that printed manuals are not normally supplied is the cost ... and to be very thorough they would have to be written in very simple terms (lowest common denominator in abilities) . they would be huge , written with/in several languages in a tome .

and the truth is , if a person can't figure out how to push the "on" button and click on a "read me , i'm the manual" then maybe they should not own a comp .

(sort of like "darwin awards")

restoring a system ...

if you are thinking of the "factory restore" function that does not have the OS , drivers and such on media separate from the hard drive (think disks that say "operating system") but rather have the OS and associated items located on/in a partition (visible or hidden) on the hard drive , there is a chance that those files stashed on the corrupted/infected hard drive can be compromised .

i agree , it is a PITA since they stopped including a set of disks that allowed one to do a full format and re-installation of a system ...

again , it is the costs involved and the general lack of technical abilities of the "average" user that lead to this .