Rubyw.exe HeadsUp & Feature Request

clc

Hi,

New member/paid user of Malwarbytes Consumer version.

I noticed Malwarbytes was blocking Rubyw internet access, and didn't know why . . . so I did some research and here is what I found:

Rubyw.exe and variants thereof are created by PrivateInternetAccess.  I use PrivateInternetAccess.  Here is their explanation:

"To further follow-up on our last reply to you, what your program is detecting is called rubyw.exe. This is the process that executes all the ruby scripting in our application, that allows it to run. However, we designed it to install to a randomized temporary directory on each launch, along with a randomized filename, to ensure no one can locate it, and thus crack it (while it's running, it contains your login information and binds your local IP, which would be a major security risk if it became visible externally; thus why we randomize it's name and location, so it can't be found by automatic scripts/etc).

However, this randomization causes security software to be unable to recognize it. Security software operates off of a predefined list of allowed apps, called a definition file. If it sees anything that's not on that list (even custom apps like ours), it will state it's untrusted it, and immediately assumes it's not safe (since it doesn't know what it is). This is extremely common, and is why the app developers allow you a way to add your own exceptions for apps on your computer, to allow them to function when you know they're safe. To do this for our app, you need to add the following process exceptions to it's whitelist/allowed app list/etc, which should keep it from interfering with it's operation in the future:

rubyw.exe
ruby*.exe
ruby*.*
*/ruby*.*
*/*ruby*.*
../ruby*.*
../*ruby*.*

. . . .   https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/970/pia-client-setup-question/p1

Feature request for Malwarbytes.  Please allow the user to add program exceptions by explicit name and use of wild cards as laid out by PrivateInternetAccess.  In Malwarbytes, I could only create an exception by pointing to a file, as opposed to naming and there is not ability to wildcard, as needed by PrivateInternetAccess.

Thanks,

Curtis

Feature request for Malwarbytes.  Please allow the user to add program exceptions by explicit name and use of wild cards as laid out by PrivateInternetAccess.  In Malwarbytes, I could only create an exception by pointing to a file, as opposed to naming and there is not ability to wildcard, as needed by PrivateInternetAccess.

Thanks,

Curtis

Here's the place for "feature requests" --> Comments and Suggestions