GPU running hot but only when i connect to the internet?

Just make sure the chassis is well vented and all dust has been removed such that air can flow unobstructed and no dust is on the graphics card/chip-set heatsink.

Depending on the chassis you may be able to add an additional exhaust fan.

my card has only started doing this in the last few days when idle i usually sit at 30-35C but i still do when not connected online but the second i connect im get high 70s readings which has not happened b4 so there is something wrong as if im idling at 70c i cant play any games as ill melt my card and possibly my motherboard  

If you are worried...  Close all running programs on the PC such that there are no programs that should be accessing the Internet, even for updates.  Then use TCPView or CurrPorts and see if the PC is connecting to oddball web sites.  You can also use Wireshark and capture packets.

If the PC connects to and communicates with oddball sites when there should be no Internet communications (except for the OS itself) then there may be a problem.  If there is no Internet communication then consider it normal.

A little Googling shows that the Radeon 7950 has had incidents of it running hot.