pop.?.? malware

Hi,

New to forum... but Im curious. I have seldom had any viruses/malware but since like two weeks back Malware Bytes (which Ive been running for at least a year) have found a lot of pop.X.X  - malware.

For example: pop.luckyleap and others. The common thing is that Malwarebytes always puts pop. in front of the name. Is this a special type of malware "pop" / does it stand for like "popup"?

Since my other tools don´t recognise any of these finds (dont remember the others but they were also reported as pop.) I guess this could be some kind of "not that bad" adware?

Also a bit strange - so far I have always found an uninstaller for these "things" so I guess its part of other software?

Does anyone else have a lot more of these, lately?

Also, since I have had a recent crash (WIN8) how much beta is Malwares rootkit tool? :wub:  And do I need it?

Regards, Mem

POP ? no,

PUP = Potentially Unwanted Programs

Please reference: Malwarebytes Adopts Aggressive PUP Policy

As for MBAR.  If you are not experienced in dealing with Malware or computers in general, Beta software should be avoided as program crashes must be an accepted consequence of Beta software.

Thank you. That completely answered my first question (I had googled but strangely without luck) and sorry for misspelling ... :)

My other question came a bit misleading. What I meant was - does MBAR do anything automatic (on installation) or does it "only" scan and then it´s up to user to decide? Thats a huge difference to me considering I have hade a reason wipe.

My experience is above average.

This sub-forum isn't a discussion group.  Its goal is for one-on-one assistive help in actually removing malware infections.

I suggest you post your query in the sub-forum that has been created specifically for MBAR - Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit BETA

I am going to request this topic be closed.