Question Concerning Remove Selected

This may be a silly question but I was just asked this and since I don't have an infected computer to test this with I thought better to ask it here.

After running the scan and receiving the Scan Completed message box, clicking OK to see results the Remove Selected Screen comes up. Are the check marks automatically put in place in the boxes by the MBA-M program or does the user have to manually place them into the boxes? If they are not automatically placed is there an option to Select All?

post-6530-0-18846300-1378302022_thumb.jp

Hi, jholland1964: :)

MBAM's default reporting depends on the category of the detection.

Malware will be detected, reported and automatically checked for removal.
For PUPs, the default setting is "Show in results and do not check for removal".

If you want Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove PUP detections reported after a scan, each item must be checked.

• To do so quickly, you can highlight one of the detections by left clicking on it.
  • Then, right click on the highlighted detection, and select 'Check All Items'.
  • Next, click 'Remove Selected'. That should address the PUP entries.

If you want to edit the way any particular category of detections is reported and handled, e.g. PUPs, you can edit the MBAM settings, as described below:

• Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, click the 'Settings' tab.
  • Click the 'Scanner Settings' tab.
  • Click the menu bar for each and select one of the following options: "Do not show results in list", "Show in results list and check for removal", or "Show in results list and do not check for removal".
  • When done, click the 'Exit' button.

>>>>If you aren't sure what to remove and what to keep, the best bet would be to have one of our malware analysts take a look at some logs.
If so, please follow the recommendations in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
A qualified helper will guide you through the cleanup process.

Thanks,

daledoc1

Thanks for your very prompt response. I'm very familiar with MBA-M and thought in the past the items found did have the check marks placed so was surprised that nothing was removed but now knowing the difference concerning PUP's  I will definitely remember this different setting for those.

Yes, these items most definitely ARE PUP's and I know without a doubt that all are bad. There were 450 of these found in the original scan and the log produced on first run showed of course -> No action taken because after choosing Ok to show results then the user saw the list but then simply hit the Remove Selected box. When I told him he'd have to run the Full Scan again and put in the check marks manually he asked if there was a way to check all instead of doing them one at a time.

Thanks again for the prompt response!

Hi:

Yes, the PUP policy has changed recently.
What are the 'PUP' detections, are they threats and should they be deleted?
Malwarebytes Adopts Aggressive PUP Policy
PUP.Optional listings and disputes

I wasn't sure from your post (or the screenshot) if you were specifically referring to PUPs.
And I certainly didn't want to provide bad advice (e.g. changing the settings for MALWARE).

Since you were, in fact, referring to PUPs, you can either follow the steps in my earlier reply,...

...Or you can follow forum Admin Exile360's method (which is another means to the same end of deleting all PUPs):

• Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and click on the Settings tab.
  • Click on the Scanner Settings sub-tab
  • Click on the drop down menu next to "Action for potentially unwanted programs (PUP)" and select "Show in results list and check for removal".
  • Once that is completed, click on the Scanner tab and select "Perform Quick scan" and click on the Scan button.
  • Once the scan completes, click on "Remove Selected" and click "Yes", if prompted to restart your system to complete the removal process.

BTW, routine Full scans are neither necessary, nor recommended.
Except in certain specific cases, a Quick scan should be all that is needed. :)

Cheers,

daledoc1

Sorry, should have stated in my original post that the items in question were/are PUPs. I am very familiar and pleased with the new changes concerning PUP's, Thanks for the additional links too! I regularly help with malware removal at a forum and had passed that new info on concerning the more aggressive take for PUP's but didn't realize that they would not be automatically checked for removals if found. Since I don't have an infected computer to be able to show the screen I was talking about I just had to grab one from the bleepingcomputer instructions in order to show what I was talking about, hope that doesn't get me in trouble with somebody :unsure:

I will pass your additional links on to our forum admins too. Thanks again!