CHKDSK question

chimpy

Hi, on start up just before my win 7 laptop ran a CHKDSC saying

Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue. Windows will now check the disk.

Which it has never done before in the two years I've had it, I thought that CHKDSC was a command I had to instruct it? Or can it just decide to run one on its own?

I can post what the results where if needed.

Just wondering what was up with it as now it starts up a bit quicker or that might be my imagination.

Thanks.

Hi chimpy -

I have only posted the First of the shown versions linked above for a while now, as it seems to always run safer, and I have not had the problems that some find with a Disk Check boot loop -

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7:
 • Click the Start button and select Computer

• Right-click on C:(or your main hard drive) and select Properties

• Click on the Tools tab

• Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt

• Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

• Click on the Start button

• When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and Restart your computer

• Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

This will take about 1 to 2 hours (on average) so please let All 5 stages complete.

Do not Force a reboot during the scan, as you can cause damage to your system

Once completed the computer will boot back to its normal operating state -

Thank You -