Sign in to follow this  
PeregrineKodiak

Recurrent Malware Issue? Involuntary Backups?

Hi Ron,

Now the external hard drive shows that it has backed up all of my files when I search for the the files, but just clicking through the drive itself, I can't find the D_VOL. I'm stumped. When I click "open location" on a file, it shows that "D_VOL" is a subfolder under  "Backup", but when I navigate, I can't find that folder, and can't navigate to the D_VOL folder anywhere.

Any thoughts?

Searching for "D_VOL" under "Backups" also comes up with nothing. You had asked about the size of what was stored in my D drive - it's about 120 G. Could that be why it didn't seem to complete?

From the Admin command line please run the following.

DIR /A /S F:\Backup\D_VOL
That should start listing all the files that are on the F: drive under that folder.

Alright, it listed 19564 files, but if I want to navigate through the D_VOL, that directory doesn't show up in my "Backup" file. I can only find a file in the D_VOL if I search for it by name - and I can't remember all 19564 names :(

OK, I followed that. Two things: first - it warned me against "hiding protected operating system files" because I  could accidentally edit or delete it, and then my computer wouldn't work right.

Next thing: D_VOL is still not showing up in the directory.

No I'm not waiting for any log from you.  That was just some extra code I used for copy/paste to that link and I forgot to remove it is all.

Start an Admin command prompt and type the following line by line and press the Enter key at the end of each line

F:CD F:\Backup\D_VOLSTART .

That last line has a period on the end.  By doing that it should open the folder directly at that level and show you what is in there.

You can also do the following and we'll see if we can tell what's going on.  

dir F:\Backup\D_VOL  /s /ash *.ini >F:\Myinitfiles.txt

Then post back the F:\Myinitfiles.txt

You can also do this one.

attrib F:\Backup\D_VOL   /s *.ini >MyAttribfiles.txt

Then post back your F:\MyAttribfiles.txt file

Also try restarting the computer to see if that helps to see this new folder.

Your first commands brought up the directory. So all of the files are there, and could be navigated that way. Let me follow your other instructions now.

It may be due to a limitation on Vista. You can ignore it. The other file you posted is good enough.

I have to get on the road but will try to look at it later tonight and get back to you on it.

I've deleted it as you listed all files instead of just the .ini files, which again might be a Vista issue.

OK, but it looks as though everything is backed up, yes? So if I have to navigate my D_VOL folder with cmd admin access, that's fine, I'd say. I'm ready to go forward. I've got the instructions that Vineet from Acronis emailed me yesterday, but I won't follow them until you give me the all-clear.

When you say you can't find the files. Are opening My Computer and then double-clicking on the F: drive, then Backup then D_VOL

or are you using the Search feature to try to find?

Do you see the DESKTOP.INI files when you browse the data using My Computer to drill down?

If you're not seeing them then you still have something enabled preventing you from seeing hidden files and folders.

When I type "desktop.ini" in the "Start" search bar, it comes up. I double click on it and select "open file location". It shows me that it is located under C:\Windows\System32. But when I scroll down through that location, I don't see the Desktop.ini file. And if I search the System 32 folder, nothing is found.

As far as finding the D_VOL on F: - I can't search for the D_VOL - search does not find it. But if I search for a specific file that I know is in there, the file shows up under F:/Backups/D_VOL/"Specific File/Folder etc." But when navigating, I can click on F:, then Backups, and that is all that is shown. D_VOL is hidden.

...or maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Is "Desktop.ini" a directory? We made "Myinitfiles.txt" which was a directory, and we tried to make "MyAttribfiles.txt" which didn't result in a file.

I'm thinking that one of the desktop.ini files are causing you to not be able to see the D_VOL folder is all.

Let me review and see if I can give you a fix for this.   You can't use a normal search because the F: drive is not indexed to be searched.  Microsoft by default only searches in a few indexed places.

Here is what I think you can do to fix this.   Please type it EXACTLY from an elevated admin command prompt, any mistake can delete the wrong files.

DEL F:\Backup\D_VOL\DESKTOP.INI /S /F

Then restart the computer and then see if you can double click on Computer ---> F:\ disk and then you should see the D_VOL folder and then double-click on that folder to go inside it and let me know if you can now see your files or not.

Notice that an Admin console has the word Administrator:  on the title of the box.

post-2065-0-46931700-1383182024_thumb.pn

I followed your instructions. As far as I can tell, there is no change. I searched for a file that should be in the D_VOL, and when it was found, clicked on "Open File Location". The file was located in the D_VOL.

You showed me how to get a list of the D_VOL contents. For me, it seems like just an extra step to get to what files I'm looking for, to follow these directions of yours to open a list of my D_VOL contents. Shouldn't I be satisfied with that? Don't you think that all of the files are in there, and I can navigate them just by following these earlier directions of yours?

"Start an Admin command prompt and type the following line by line and press the Enter key at the end of each line

F:
CD F:\Backup\D_VOL
START

That last line has a period on the end.  By doing that it should open the folder directly at that level and show you what is in there."

I'm satisfied, if the files are actually saved to my F drive. I'm ready to go forward it we can.

Okay then,  Please use an Admin command prompt that has elevated admin rights and run these two commands again and it will backup only the files that have changed since.

ROBOCOPY "C:\Users" "F:\Backup\Users" /s /xo /xj /r:0 /w:0
ROBOCOPY "D:" "F:\Backup\D_VOL" /s /xo /xj /r:1 /w:1

Now any files or folders that you've saved that are not within your C:\Users    location will not be backed up so you still need to review and look for any other possible files that you might want or need to be backed up.

This command will attempt to look through the entire hard drive except for the C:\Users folder as that has already been backed up by the command above.   It will look for certain file types and copy them over to the F: backup hard drive.

ROBOCOPY "C:" "F:\Backup\Docs" *.do?? *.xls?? *.pdf? *.pst *.n2k *.jp?? *.bmp *.txt *.avi *.dic *.flv *.flx *.key *.mp?? *.pages *.pp?? *.q* *.tif? *.wbk *.wma *.wp?? *.zip *.rar   /xd "C:\Users"  /s /xo /xj /r:0 /w:0

I've also attached a text file with those commands to make it easier to copy/paste or read.

RoboCopyCommands.txt