Sign in to follow this  
PeregrineKodiak

Recurrent Malware Issue? Involuntary Backups?

You posted a link for purchasing a Windows 7 disk and starting from scratch. Is that what you think I ought to do, rather than reinstall my Vista and upgrade online to 7? Also, there's an online store called Missionsofts that has windows 7 disks on sale for $59. Is there anything wrong with that?

http://www.missionsofts.com/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-sp1-32-bit-oem-dell/?gclid=CKHQxde7qLoCFYpDMgodgHEAPg

It's up to you really.  A clean install of Vista will work and if you're happy with Vista there should not be an issue.  Windows 7 was a unanimous win over Vista for most users  as it was much faster and not quite as clunky at doing some things and has better support for other hardware and software than Vista does.

As for Missionsofts - stay away.  That is snake oil and potentially stolen software repackaged (not confirmed).

NewEgg or TigerDirect are 2 of the larger online retailers that will not sell you stolen or repackaged software.  They are legit DVD packages from Microsoft.

Do you have another computer that you can download your Acronis software to in order to get working?

If not then please contact their support to see what options they have available please.

I'll contact their tech support and explain my situation to them, and find out what I can do.

Concerning Vista vs 7, I might be happy enough with Vista. My most demanding need is when I'm DJing video, when I'm running Virtual DJ, and sometimes extending my screen. I just need to be able to rely on it that it won't crash or freeze, or get pixelated. Do you think Vista slows it down enough that I would have problems like that?

Also, sometimes I like to have a few programs open, like Gimp and Scribus and iTunes and internet and Window Media all at once. Would Vista have a harder time running?

With a reinstall it should work just as well as it's been working previously so if you were happy with it before you should still be happy with it.

Do you have an external drive to do your backups?

I have a 1 TB external hard drive. I'm still trying to get Acronis installed. They helped me create a bootable CD, so hopefully that will work. I'm going to try it now.

Yes, a bootable CD is my choice of use as it precludes problems that might be in Windows.

You may or may not have Robocopy on your computer as it shipped with Windows 7 and is offered to other operating systems.

If you start a DOS command prompt and type:   ROBOCOPY.EXE and press the Enter key you should get something like this below.  If you get an error of "is not recognized as an internal or external command," then we'll need to get you a copy of the program.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  ROBOCOPY     ::     Robust File Copy for Windows
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started : Tue Oct 22 15:21:00 2013

Simple Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination /MIR

source :: Source Directory (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
       destination :: Destination Dir  (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
              /MIR :: Mirror a complete directory tree.

For more usage information run ROBOCOPY /?

***  /MIR can DELETE files as well as copy them !

I do have Robocopy - somehow it's date stamped from the middle of May, this year.

OK, I have this bootable CD. The tech support guy told me to stand by, that he would email me instructions on how to use it. But that was 3 hours ago. I didn't get an email. I'm going to try to get a hold of him, but he's probably gone home for the day.

Oh boy! He didn't respond in 3 hours because he was trying to come up with an answer  for how to proceed. Yikes. I'm going to follow his instructions. But I'm afraid to do it without you :(

He says: There could be many reason behind this issue such as " we may have a Windows Installer issue, where another Windows installation is in progress".

Installing the whole operating from scratch, might loose most of your valuable information since, we don't have any backups. Even if, we use Acronis bootable media to create but, that cannot be reverted because reverting will bring the machine back to same state as now.

Through some research, I have found some key information that might help to fix our ongoing problem, here are the suggestion which you may try:

Step 1: Check if you are able to install in clean boot.

To put the computer in clean boot state follow the steps in the article “How to perform Clean Boot” http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Step 2: Check the Windows Installer Service.

1.Click Start, in the start search box, type Services or start-> run (services.msc) and press Enter.

2.Scroll down and find the Windows Installer.  Double-click “Windows Installer” in the Services list.

3.On the General tab, make sure the service is started under “Service status”.

4.If the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK.

5) if no, please stop services and restart.

Step 3:  Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer

1.Click Start, in the start search box, type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER, and then click OK.

2.Click Start, in the start search box, type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER, and then click OK. After you run this command, the operation is complete.

3) Restart the machine, check if instillation succeeds.

Is there a chance that if I follow his instructions, I won't be able to access my docs and files? Should I just drag all of my precious files into a folder on my external hard drive? What could it hurt? I have a whole TB.

No, do not drag the files.  It can be done but I've seen users loose data by not knowing where and what they were doing.

What his suggestions are have nothing to do with loosing data, but very odd that he says it cannot come back as I'm 99.99% certain that you can pick and choose single files or folders to recover out of an image.  I own a copy of True Image but have never actually used it.  Maybe I'll install it and test it out to make sure.

Anyways...  what is the driver letter of your USB external drive?

What time zone are you in?

Okay since you have Robocopy you should be able to open an Admin command prompt.  You know how to do that now correct?

Then copy/paste or type exactly what it says here and it will backup all the files from your Users directories that are not locked by some process.

You should close all open applications and browsers and let it run.  Depending on how much data you have it can take a few hours to complete.

That will be the majority of your data.  Then we can look at backing up other folders once this main one is completed.

ROBOCOPY "C:\Users" "F:\Backup\Users" /s /xo /xj /r:0 /w:0

It is very important that you either copy/paste or type it exactly as shown.

OK, it is. I'm just checking in from hub's computer. I didn't close my internet browser until after it started - does that matter?

This is great. Thank you for this help.

No it will copy just fine with the browser open normally but just in case it's best to leave applications closed as any locked file will not copy using this method.

That's nice - I just checked out the files in the external hard drive - they're all there. Now to do the same for the D drive - I operate everything out of my D drive because my C drive is full.

Hmmm.. typically the D: drive is a recovery drive.

How big is the D: drive?

You can run the following from that same Admin command prompt if you like.

ROBOCOPY "D:" "F:\Backup\D_VOL" /s /xo /xj /r:1 /w:1

That should copy the entire drive over as long as there is available space on the drive.