Recurrent Malware Issue? Involuntary Backups?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, this stinks. I can't download 7 zip because "another program is installing" - its my adobe reader updater. Its always running. When I shutdown my computer, I see that Adobe Reader Updater is keeping it from closing - then it gets stuck in the Windows Updates installing grey screen. It never finishes installing. I let it run all night last night, and then after restarting this morning, it's still updating.

• Root Admin

Please restart the computer.

Then run the following tool.

RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes
so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections.
When RKill runs it will kill malware processes and then removes incorrect executable associations and fixes policies
that stop us from using certain tools. When finished it will display a log file that shows the processes that were
terminated while the program was running.

As RKill only terminates a program's running process, and does not delete any files, after running it you should not reboot
your computer as any malware processes that are configured to start automatically will just be started again.
Instead, after running RKill you should immediately scan your computer using the requested scans I've included.

Please download Rkill by Grinler from one of the links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 2

• On Windows XP double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • On Windows Vista/Windows 7 or 8, right-click on the Rkill desktop icon and select Run As Administrator
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.

Then download and install the 7 zip program

Rkill 2.6.1 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
Copyright 2008-2013 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
 http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 09/18/2013 08:27:50 AM in x64 mode.
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* Windows Defender Disabled

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
   "DisableAntiSpyware" = dword:00000001

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* Windows Defender (WinDefend) is not Running.
   Startup Type set to: Manual

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* HOSTS file entries found:

127.0.0.1       localhost

Program finished at: 09/18/2013 08:28:44 AM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 0 minute(s), and 53 seconds(s)

re: 7 Zip - when I try to install, same problem. This window says "Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one."

When I start my computer - even if I do nothing - within 5 minutes, the fan is running full blast and the computer is HOT. I think its the broken Adobe/Windows updates. I'm really stuck.

Here's the log from my second time running Rkill. It's got an entry about Windows updater.

Rkill 2.6.1 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
Copyright 2008-2013 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
 http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 09/18/2013 08:37:31 AM in x64 mode.
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* Windows Defender Disabled

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
   "DisableAntiSpyware" = dword:00000001

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* Windows Defender (WinDefend) is not Running.
   Startup Type set to: Manual

* Windows Update (wuauserv) is not Running.
   Startup Type set to: Automatic (Delayed Start)

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* HOSTS file entries found:

127.0.0.1       localhost

Program finished at: 09/18/2013 08:42:04 AM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 4 minute(s), and 32 seconds(s)

• Root Admin

You can try to reinstall Java

http://www.java.com

At this point though you appear to have the Windows installer stuck in some type of loop which is not really a malware issue but none the less will need to be resolved in order to use the computer.  As this appears to be a work computer you would be better off backing up your data and reinstalling Windows on this computer to alleviate all of these issues.

It is highly unlikely that we'll be able to find and correct all the issues for you by this weekend.

If you're not able to get Windows reinstalled and you want to continue to look at fixing it then let me have  you run Combofix again.  Remember, don't try to self medicate the fixes and if not sure what to do ask before doing so.

Please visit this webpage and read the ComboFix User's Guide:

• Once you've read the article and are ready to use the program you can download it directly from the link below.
  • Important! - Please make sure you save combofix to your desktop and do not run it from your browser
  • Direct download link for: ComboFix.exe
  • Please make sure you disable your security applications before running ComboFix.
  • Once Combofix has completed it will produce and open a log file.  Please be patient as it can take some time to load.
  • Please attach that log file to your next reply.
  • If needed the file can be located here:  C:\combofix.txt
  • NOTE: If you receive the message "illegal operation has been attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion", just reboot the computer.

Combo Fix - when it tells you that you have an error in a file, and asks if you should abort or ignore - which should you choose? It asked me this on my second time running it. The first time I ran it - it went through making the registry back up, with the red and blue progress bars, but I never got the blue screen and actual program run. When I ran it the second time, it told me I couldn't run it with the name ComboFix(1) - its a double download - I still had it from the first time I ran it.

I have a whole bunch of programs on my desktop from this process. I wonder which I can delete/uninstall.

As far as re-installing Windows - where is a good place to go to learn how to do that properly?

Thank you.

OK, I read that. Wow. Its a big deal. I had a question when I read it, and I'm sure that as I'm going through the process, I'll have more. Should I start a link on MBAM General PC forum to get advice? Or stay here?

I might not do this for a couple of weeks. I still have a couple of projects to finish in my computer first.

Thanks!

• Root Admin

Well if this is Sality then your computer is compromised and you should either try to clean it or FDISK, Format, and reinstall Windows with clean media.

I can provide some direction on trying to clean it from your computer if you like.  You can also download the Sality tool and run it and it will tell you right away if it finds it or not.  If it does then we'll need to follow some very specific guidelines to try and remove it.

How to disinfect my computer from Virus.Win32.Sality

salitykiller.exe

• Root Admin

Yes it's very easy and very possible to infect any other computer that has shared any files with a computer infected with Sality.  Do not share CD/DVD/USB drives or sticks

Please just run the Sality tool and if it says you have the infection we can go from there.

The tool ran for a while and then it said "the monitor (something) has stopped. press any key to continue." That was all I got. I'm not finding a log when I search "sality".

Was I supposed to save it to my desktop? And close the internet? I'll save it to desktop, restart the computer, and run it again with the internet off.

• Root Admin

That's fine.  Please run by clicking on START then when copy/paste this into the Search box and when it shows on your menu right click and choose "Run as administrator"

"%userprofile%\desktop\salitykiller.exe" -n -r -x -a -j -k -l c:\report.txt

That should run and create a file on the root of your C: drive name REPORT.TXT  

Post back that log file please.