Sign in to follow this  
PeregrineKodiak

Recurrent Malware Issue? Involuntary Backups?

How is the computer running now?

Are you still experiencing any issues related to malware?

Please download Security Check from here or here.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.73  
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 10  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
 WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300  
 Java 6 Update 18  
 Java version out of Date!
 Adobe Flash Player 11.8.800.168  
 Adobe Reader 10.1.7 Adobe Reader out of Date!  
 Mozilla Firefox (23.0.1)
 Google Chrome 29.0.1547.62  
 Google Chrome 29.0.1547.66  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 5%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

I think the malware is gone. Probably what's causing my computer to stay on and run all the time has something to do with updates. It still won't always sleep, or shut itself down. Still getting the back-up folders (or update folders... whatever they are).

I've always had problem with Adobe reader and Flash Player - those programs don't work right and don't update right. Maybe that has something to do with it. Once someone tried to give me their big Adobe package, and it "didn't work". I guess that was probably a cracked version. Maybe in deleting it, I deleted something that I shouldn't have? I don't know. I'm taking stabs in the dark. I'm not even sure that episode happened on this computer. That may have been longer ago.

Run JavaRa

• Please download JavaRa and unzip it in a folder on your desktop.
  • Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program.
  • Click on Settings and Place a checkmark beside Create a log file. Click on Back.
  • DO NOT click on Update JavaRa Definitions.
  • Choose Remove JRE, since you already uninstalled Java, please click on Next.
  • Now click on Perform Removal Routine to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
  • When that's succesfully done, please click OK to close the message.
  • Now click on Close this wizard and click Finish.
  • From the main menu please choose Additional Tasks
  • Place a checkmark beside Remove Outdated JRE Firefox Extentions and click Run. Mozilla Firefox should be closed before running this task.
  • When that's succesfully done you will see a message at the top saying: "Selected tasks completed successfully".
  • A log file should be created in the same directory as JavaRa.
  • Please post the log in your next reply.
  • Close JavaRa by clicking the red cross button.

JavaRa: It worked a little differently than described, and it didn't create a log - is it because I hit "back" and not "save"?

I searched "java" in my search bar and found no logs, just hundreds of java files, with "SysWow" extensions and other extensions.

JavaRa had prompted me to update when I tried it - so now I tried the JavaRa 2.3. It doesn't have a "create a log" option under "settings" now. Then I went back to the JavaRa 2.0 and tried to see if I could "Save" the setting "Create a log", but that wasn't an option.

I'll move onto the next instructions you listed.

Okay the Windows updates are setup to run automatically and in fact is scheduled to update again tomorrow for one of the broken updates that Microsoft pushed out for Office 2007 updates.  This should now be fixed so after the updates tomorrow it should no longer keep offering those updates.

So as long as the computer is on and it runs then it should complete that Windows update.

Please run this tool again and let's see if it was able to remove the Java entries or not.

Please download Security Check from here or here.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.73  
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 10  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
 WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300  
 Java 6 Update 18  
 Java version out of Date!
 Adobe Flash Player 11.8.800.168  
 Adobe Reader 10.1.7 Adobe Reader out of Date!  
 Mozilla Firefox (23.0.1)
 Google Chrome 29.0.1547.62  
 Google Chrome 29.0.1547.66  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 6%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Okay, let me look up the older version of this tool and see if it can remove the Java for us.

In the mean time please check for updates in your Adobe Reader to get the latest update or uninstall the 10.x version and install the 11.x version.

Please download JavaRa-1.16 and save it to your computer.

• Double click to open the zip file and then select all and choose Copy.
  • Create a new folder on your Desktop named RemoveJava and paste the files into this new folder.
  • Quit all browsers and other running applications.
  • Right-click on JavaRa.exe in RemoveJava folder and choose Run as administrator to start the program.
  • From the drop-down menu, choose English and click on Select.
  • JavaRa will open; click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
  • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location and post it in your next reply.

No luck either Uninstalling Adobe Reader or Installing Update. When I try to uninstall, I get an error message that another program is uploading or running (or something). When I try to update, the update task status never goes anywhere. It never begins to update, it just sits on the window, saying its updating with no progress. Whatever is making it do that, I suspect is interfering with my Flash Player too.

Now I'll work on the JavaRa program.

I'm having problems and creating new ones. I made a mistake. I searched for all of my java files, then moved them all to the RemoveJava folder. Not sure how to bail myself out of that one. Can't just move them back - I don't know where they came from.

Also, when I click on the JavaRa Zip folder, it tells me I need to install Java to run JavaRa, and takes me to a page where I can install Java.

Then, re: what you said: "Adobe could be updating" - both Adobe Reader and Flash have been screwed up for almost as long as I've had this computer. They're never able to install or update, and often don't run correctly.

Today my computer is running hot and choppy. I get those "a script is running - do you want to stop the script" messages a lot. Ugh.

Okay you need to please slow down and read what you've been asked to do and if you're not sure then don't proceed, come back and ask questions before you do get into more trouble.

So how many files are now in this RemoveJava folder?

Please download and run the following tool to help remove the Adobe software:  Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool

Then after it's removal restart the computer and run me a new DDS scan and post back those logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply as an attachment: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
  • You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file and just post it or attach it.

OK, here's one problem. I'm using Zipeg to zip and unzip - this could be why I have Java (which I tried to avoid). Now that some of the Java files are gone, I can't unzip - or that's the message I'm getting. When I click on these zipped programs, it says "Zipeg needs Java" and it takes me to the Java download page.

I can uninstall Zipeg. Do you have any other recommendations for a zipper?

Please press the Windows Key and R key at the same time and it should bring up a RUN dialog box.

Then copy/paste the following text from the code box below into that line and click on OK

That will create a new document on your desktop named MyDesktopFiles.txt

Please attach that file on your next reply - don't copy/paste directly here.

%ComSpec% /c dir /a /s "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop" > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\MyDesktopFiles.txt"

Thanks.  I've deleted the attachment as I've got it now.

Well not sure how you managed to find and move all those like that but the good thing is that probably at least 95% or more are certainly no issue being moved there.

There are a few I'm not sure if it will cause you issues or not as I'm not familiar with them but for now just leave that folder alone and we'll see how it goes over the next few days.

Yes, remove Zipeg and get 7 Zip

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z920-x64.msi

Were you able to run the Adobe Removal tool?