Hello,

My boyfriend recently got a virus on his computer.  I wish I could remember the name of it, but I don't.  Anywho, he came running to me because I'm a programmer, and people often mistake programmers as people who can fix computers.  I was able to remove the virus, but now Internet Explorer is having some trouble.

When I open Explorer I get a blank screen and a spinning wheel forever.  I am unable to close the program or access the tools.  I read though this post: (  http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=33273  )  which suggested that I access Explorer's LAN settings and uncheck Proxy if it is checked. 

However, I'm not sure how to do this without opening Internet Explorer.  

Here's the catch.  My boyfriend's first language is not English so when I right click on Explorer all of my options are in Japanese.  If possible (sorry for the extra request) please screen shot how I can access my LAN settings, or at least be a bit more specific as to where each button is located.

Thanks a bunch for reading this, and sorry for the extra trouble!

"...which suggested that I access Explorer's LAN settings and uncheck Proxy if it is checked."

Go to; Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Connections --> Lan settings
Uncheck all check box locations.

If you feel that there can be further "malware" on this PC, please read; I'm infected - What do I do now? and then post in...

Malware Removal Help

Thanks for your response David.  

Now here comes the really annoying part of my request.  I was able to get so far as Control Panel --> Internet Options.  However, I do not know the Japanese word for "Connections".  Any ideas as to which button it might be ( guessing by location an images )?

Thanks for putting up with me!  :)

comp_zps15d03e82.jpg

Hi:

Until DHL returns, it looks as if the OS is Vista or 7?

Here are some screen grabs from Win7:

kgLhRgv.png

CngJ3as.png

fQIn55W.png

hAD1GmV.png

However, it would probably be best to follow DHL's suggestion to have one of the malware analysts check the system for remnants of infection, as there may be other damage from the malware.

The help over in the malware removal section is free.

Kind regards,

daledoc1

Yeah, I don't understand Japanese { 私は日本人を理解していない }

However the way Control Panel displays depends upon the OS version at hand and if it is its Default view or  "Large Icons" or "Classic View". 

The following is a Screen Shot highlighting the Control Panel applet "Internet Options" on a Windows Vista platform in "Classic View" mode.

post-14644-0-89352200-1377404476_thumb.j

Until DHL returns, it looks as if the OS is Vista or 7?

Here are some screen grabs from Win7:

Thank you VERY much.  I know this took you some time to put together and I really appreciate it! I was able to find the Proxy settings.

Though after all of this, the box was unchecked. (>_<)  Haha, go figure.

I guess I will take David's advice and see if there is another Malware on his computer that is causing this problem.

( ps: Thanks David for also uploading a picture.  It helps a lot! )

Thank you VERY much.  I know this took you some time to put together and I really appreciate it! I was able to find the Proxy settings.

You are most welcome and it was no trouble at all -- it only took a minute or two.

In this case, "a picture speaks a 1000 words" could not be more apt.

Though after all of this, the box was unchecked. (>_<)  Haha, go figure.

Bummer.

I guess I will take David's advice and see if there is another Malware on his computer that is causing this problem.

Yes, that is best.

The malware analysts will have a range of diagnostic scans and repair tools to help you.

You'll have your work cut out for you, I imagine, trying to do this on the Japanese OS.

Perhaps your BF can help with real-time translation?

Good luck!

daledoc1

In this case, "a picture speaks a 1000 words" could not be more apt.

Haha, very true!

You'll have your work cut out for you, I imagine, trying to do this on the Japanese OS.

Perhaps your BF can help with real-time translation?

Unfortunately (but fortunately in this case), this is not his first virus. So I am pretty good at getting through the Anti-Malware software despite the Japanese.  I am hoping to get this finished before he comes home from work to be a good surprise when he comes home.   :D

I will let you know if it is a success or not when I am finished. ( ^_^ )