OK to disable real-time scanning on McAfee if MBAM Pro running?

I'm running MBAM Pro. Does this offer the same real time protection that McAfee Real Time Scanning/On Access Scanning does? There's a setting in McA Real Time Scanning to uncheck scanning for "Spyware and other potentially unwanted programs." If I uncheck that but leave McA real time scanning for "viruses, Trojans, worms, bots, rootkits," does MBAM Pro take care of the rest in real time?

I've noticed over the last day or two that McA On Access Scanning is really draining my system resources and want to minimize that.

Thank.

Ken

Hello and welcome, KJIsaacson:

Thanks for your interest in and support of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) PRO.

No, one would NOT want to disable real-time scanning in McAfee if MBAM PRO is running.

MBAM PRO is not an anti-virus (AV), nor is it a substitute for one: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software? :)

It is a specialized tool targeting zero-day and zero-hour threats not covered well by standard AV products.

It is designed and tested to provide layered, complementary, real-time protection alongside a robust, up-to-date AV (either Free or Paid).

Your first line of defense for computer security software is your AV.

(Of course, keeping one's OS, browsers, plugins, and applications updated/patched, and avoiding risky computing practices are also both important.)

Having said that, some users on some systems find it helpful to set mutual exclusions between MBAM PRO and their AV, in order to optimize performance.

Some general instructions for that may be found in this FAQ topic.

If you need help with this, please post back with the exact names and version numbers of your McAfee products, and someone will be more than happy to assist you with it.

Please let us know if this resolves your issue.

If not, the staff will likely need to see a few diagnostic scan logs in order to help resolve your performance issues.

Thanks,

daledoc1

PS I've asked the mod team to remove your email address from your post.  It could be easily harvested by spammers.

Hi:

You are most welcome. :)

Is everything working OK with MBAM PRO and McAfee?

If not, please let us know.

We can have you run a few scans so that the staff can see what's up with your system.

Alternatively, if you are a paid user of MBAM PRO, you may wish instead to open a ticket at the help desk here: Contact Consumer Support.

They will assist you one-on-one via email to optimize performance between MBAM PRO and McAfee.

Kind regards,

daledoc1