Favorite TV shows?

Osteward

@DD

Ain't that true!
That's because they're too intellectually challenging for the slobbering masses. :P

True 'dat.. :P

I second these!**
**See my post to follow - many similar picks.

I see we both have good taste.. *wry grin*

Yeah, what's the point?
They won't have any clue what we're talking about. :D
(Or, if they do, they will have watched the re-runs, while we watched the originals, in B/W.)

Well; the "purists" may hate him but I so glad Ted Turner colorized all the old war movies and Bogart stuff.. *laugh*

And thank heavens for that!
I'd be seriously lost in space with keeping everything up to date without your timely and informative Software Updates (and other) posts.
Thanks for all those!
I appreciate it!
daledoc1

My pleasure DD; wish I had time and energy to do even more..

BTW; I'm watching COYOTE UGLY  on WE right now (It's been awhile since I've seen it and Netflix doesn't carry it) and never realized it before but the main female character is Piper Perabo (COVERT AFFAIR's Annie Walker) and "Rachael" is Bridget Moynahan (BLUE BLOODS' Erin Reagan-Boyle).. Yowzer..

The world goes 'round, it does..

Steve

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

TV:

• Breaking Bad (probably the best TV drama series ever)

I don't know what to say. I have tried twice to get into that show but either it is the story or the actors or maybe the mood just has not hit me for this one but I just could not get started with it.

Though that was true of the original HEROES shows - then once I got past the 4th one I was hooked on it until near the end of the 3rd Season were it started going down hill quick.

I suppose I'll try again to watch this one and see...

I suppose I'll try again to watch this one and see...

Chemistry is about changing one substance into another.

Walter White (Bryan Cranston) starts out as the mild-mannered, straight-laced, high-school chemistry teacher facing his own imminent cancer mortality.

In a fateful, desperate, and initially reluctant decision, he becomes a meth cooker in order to provide financial stability for the family he will leave behind.

Watching his transformation into the personification of evil has been a most fascinating and engrossing experience.

(This is even more remarkable if you remember Cranston from some of his earlier roles, as in Malcolm in the Middle.)

The characters are complex, the writing is intelligent and outstanding, the humor is dark and sinister, the acting is top-notch, and -- if you're into this sort of thing -- even the sets & the chemstry are amazing (the meth labs are not fake mock-ups, but rather actual recreations of the "real thing").

Just when you think you have it all figured out, the writers will inject <pun intended> some sort of unanticipated surprise/twist/shock.

You likely won't "get it" if you just watch these last few episodes in a vacuum.

I would suggest renting the entire series, starting with Season 1, and go from there.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

Sincerely,

Your local BB fan-girl

@ Shy:

How about the original Perry Mason shows from the 50s and 60s?

(I probably watched the originals with my mom, but was too young to remember them.  However, I was "hooked" on these as re-runs for years (you can still find them on cable).)

Or the original Twilight Zone?

(As with Perry Mason and (much later) Law & Order, it seems "everyone who is everyone" in TV got a start with a minor role in this series.)

Or some of the old cop/medical shows, eg. Homicide - Life on the Street, Murder One, Hill Street Blues, even early NYPD Blue, St. Elsewhere, Dr. Kildare?

Only partially kidding about this last one. It was actually an awesome show :D .

@DD

@ Shy:

How about the original Perry Mason shows from the 50s and 60s?

(I probably watched the originals with my mom, but was too young to remember them.  However, I was "hooked" on these as re-runs for years (you can still find them on cable).)

Or the original Twilight Zone?

(As with Perry Mason and (much later) Law & Order, it seems "everyone who is everyone" in TV got a start with a minor role in this series.)

Or some of the old cop/medical shows, eg. Homicide - Life on the Street, Murder One, Hill Street Blues, even early NYPD Blue, St. Elsewhere, Dr. Kildare?

Only partially kidding about this last one. It was actually an awesome show :D .

Nostalgia Attack!  Nostalgia Attack!  Nostalgia Attack!  Nostalgia Attack!  :D

I could never get "into" the St. Elsewhere and ER series when they ran. Only when the hit the syndicated circuit did I get hooked on both and watch both series from beginning to end. The nurse, who fell in love with George Clooney and eventually quit ER, to join him out west finally reminded me of THE GOOD WIFE which she stars in, another current favorite of mine.

LAW and ORDER'S Dapper cop-turned-actor Dennis Farina (died of heart attack this year) was a good partner for your favorite Jerry Orbach..

And HILLSTREET BLUES, NYPD BLUE, etc, how could I forget. Remember the teenage David Caruso (a gang leader in HSBlues)?? I couldn't stand him then; Can't stand him now in CSI: Miami. ;) We're starting to go back to the golden years of JACK BENNY, The GEORGE BURNS SHOW,  I LOVE LUCY, CAROL BURNETTE SHOW, WELBY MD, etc, et al.. Never liked Twilight Zone for some reason.

I *can* remember the first TV show I watched, period. The HOWDY DOODY SHOW on a childhood friends family TV; the 1st in the neighborhood.. B&W, of course.. The first show in color I watched, was an episode of Dragnet in 1953.. (How'd we forget, "Just the facts ma'am?) Dragnet in our musings??

Now that I've dated myself in time, you all can make fun of the old man.. :P

Off to read the Sunday funnies.. later..

Steve

• Root Admin

Chemistry is about changing one substance into another.

Walter White (Bryan Cranston) starts out as the mild-mannered, straight-laced, high-school chemistry teacher facing his own imminent cancer mortality.

In a fateful, desperate, and initially reluctant decision, he becomes a meth cooker in order to provide financial stability for the family he will leave behind.

Watching his transformation into the personification of evil has been a most fascinating and engrossing experience.

(This is even more remarkable if you remember Cranston from some of his earlier roles, as in Malcolm in the Middle.)

The characters are complex, the writing is intelligent and outstanding, the humor is dark and sinister, the acting is top-notch, and -- if you're into this sort of thing -- even the sets & the chemstry are amazing (the meth labs are not fake mock-ups, but rather actual recreations of the "real thing").

Just when you think you have it all figured out, the writers will inject <pun intended> some sort of unanticipated surprise/twist/shock.

You likely won't "get it" if you just watch these last few episodes in a vacuum.

I would suggest renting the entire series, starting with Season 1, and go from there.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

Sincerely,

Your local BB fan-girl

I guess part of it is I didn't like Malcolm in the Middle that much either (had some funny skits at time but overall didn't care for it)

I suppose I just don't like that actor that much myself.

I guess part of it is I didn't like Malcolm in the Middle that much either (had some funny skits at time but overall didn't care for it)

I suppose I just don't like that actor that much myself.

I could see where you're coming from on this.

I never did watch Malcolm before seeing Cranston in BB.

So, I had no preconceived notion of him.

Having watched a few Malcolm episodes since then -- just out of curiosity -- I've found that it's hard to believe this is the same actor.

'Tis true many shows collect Emmys out of sheer popularity.

However, I'd have to say that BB deserves every one of them.

Cranston --  and the entire cast -- are really quite excellent, aided by a wonderful script and direction.

But, to each his own. :)

• Root Admin
Now that I've dated myself in time, you all can make fun of the old man.. :P

Steve

Actually I envy you Steve.  I think you've lived a life where for the most part you skipped the real depression days and you've experienced both old schools stuff and new technology stuff.  You will more than likely escape much of the hardship that I think is coming.  Most cities are in desperate need of infrastructure repairs but cannot afford it.  Don't see how that's going to be better 50 years from now.  So many difficult issues to deal with that time simply appears to increase the need and difficulty to address.  

Actually I envy you Steve.  I think you've lived a life where for the most part you skipped the real depression days and you've experienced both old schools stuff and new technology stuff.  You will more than likely escape much of the hardship that I think is coming.  Most cities are in desperate need of infrastructure repairs but cannot afford it.  Don't see how that's going to be better 50 years from now.  So many difficult issues to deal with that time simply appears to increase the need and difficulty to address.  

Thanks Ron.. my life HAS been an interesting time for me (altho' probably boring to those somewhat younger. ;))  Internet use for the masses was just starting to come into being tearing Academia's death grip from controlling it, although "commercial advertising" was still prohibited.. and was it and SPAM was taking care of by the MAJORITY users and certain "vigilantes" sent out "cancellation emails" that destroyed the SPAM emails. USENET was the BIG thing back then and I still enjoy remembering the old UNIX programs while operating under a C-shell or BASH and using PINE for email; JOE as an editor, LYNX was the hyperlink tool before browsers, GOPHER or FTP'ng for files.. I used command line operating up until DOS 6.0 went fanny up.. I ran OS/2 instead of Windows and then tried NT for awhile.

Sure wish I'd had money enough to buy some of the tech stocks way back when. *wry grin* But a E1/E2/E3 didn't make diddly in those days.. (Speaking of which, do a GOOGLE search on payscales for E1 thru 4-Star General [2013] and add the housing allowance to it... Holy Moly! ) I got out at 8 years service on the promotion list for E6 (Tech SGT) making $590 a month and $110 housing allowance with a $75 sustenance allowance - not much room for MSFT stock, for sure..

Like man says, "Appreciate TODAY because one day, these days, in the future will be those 'Good old days..' that everyone always talks about."

Steve

• Root Admin

Yes the Military has some red tape to it.  Back in the mid 70's I was an E3 but was getting like $1,300 a month for some reason.  I went down to the clerks office and spoke with them and they could not find the problem and they simply advised not to spend it and that eventually it would fix itself.  Well it lasted for about 10 months like that but eventually my pay did go back down to normal.  I held onto the money for a long time but to this day they've never did ask for it back.  (good thing as I spent it a long time ago too).

• Root Admin

After watching Sarah's Key the Netflix site recommended I watch The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Pretty slow going movie and one could see the end coming but still...

Set during World War II, a story seen through the innocent eyes of Bruno, the eight-year-old son of the commandant at a concentration camp, whose forbidden friendship with a Jewish boy on the other side of the camp fence has startling and unexpected consequences.

Spoiler Alert

Poor mother

• Root Admin

Reminder - don't watch Alphas on Netflix unless you want to be disappointed.   I watch Season 1, then Season 2, (it ends with a major cliff hanger), oh... guess what THERE IS NOT SEASON 3   - Not that it was a great show but it filled the time.  I really dislike it when a series ends like that.  At least do like Battle Star Galactica and end the series quickly but wrap up all the lose ends in the last show. 

[...]

I really dislike it when a series ends like that.  At least do like Battle Star Galactica and end the series quickly but wrap up all the lose ends in the last show. 

That was the ONLY good thing about STARGATE: UNIVERSE which was cancelled after two years.. The entire "crew" was put into cryogenic life-pods (except for one - one pod was damaged) for a ship with just enough resources to make a zillion mile trip from the edge of one galaxy to the next.. *end scene* Sooooooooo; if the series is ever revived (not holding my breath) there's a logical continuation point.

TERRA NOVA wasn't renewed and left everyone hanging with nothing explained... Grrr...

BTW: Besides the extra money to be made can ANYONE explain to me how Wrestlemania fits into the SyFy genre?? E3BJAzr.gif

Steve