China has a massive Windows XP problem

Firefox

China has a massive Windows XP problem

By the time of XP's retirement in April, around 10% of all U.S. computers will be running the OS; in China, 65% of companies will do so

The Chinese are going to have a very, very hard time kicking the Windows XP habit.

The deadline for the retirement of Microsoft's most successful operating system ever is eight months from tomorrow: April 8, 2014. That's the day when the Redmond, Wash. company is to deliver the last XP security update.

The problem is that a significant chunk of the world's PCs continue to run the aged OS, and with just months to go, a seemingly impossible task faces those users: Getting off the 12-year-old XP and onto something newer.

According to analytics company Net Applications, 37.2% of the globe's personal computers ran Windows XP last month. If Microsoft's estimate of 1.4 billion Windows PCs worldwide is accurate, XP's share translates into nearly 570 million machines.

But while much digital ink has been spilled on the impending deadline -- what one popular Windows blogger called a "coming Windows XP Apocalypse" on Tuesday -- the truth is that some countries have a bigger headache than others.

In the U.S., for example, 16.4% of all personal computers ran Windows XP in July, or about one in six, Net Applications' data showed.

But in China, where XP remains king, 72.1% of the country's computers relied on the soon-to-retire operating system last month, or nearly three out of every four systems. In any XP doomsday scenario, that means China is in a position four times more precarious than the U.S.

And it will get worse for China, not better, as the remaining eight months flip off the calendar.

If one assumes that recent trends in XP's decline continue, then its share in the U.S. will drop to between 9.1% and 11.1% by April 2014 (depending on whether the forecast is based on the last three months or the last six months, respectively).

China, however, is in a tougher spot because while it's been shedding Windows XP at about the same clip as the U.S., the country's much larger current share puts it at a severe disadvantage. By April 2014, XP will still be on between 65.2% and 65.7% of its personal computers. Eight months from now, China's XP problem will be six or seven times bigger than the U.S.'s.

For more on this story click on the logo below....

cwlogo.JPG

• Root Admin

What the articles fails to realize is that probably the vast majority of those XP computers have little plans to get off of XP deadline or no deadline.  It works and does what they want and until there is some other issues to force the change they will still be running XP 5 years from now.

i agree ...

it is a case of "only when they pry it from cold dead hands ..." for a lot of folks .

sometimes it is not about wanting to stay with XP but rather needing to due to economic constraints (aka : poor as a church mouse) .

it is the "emerging countries" and similar types that will have the highest percentage of machines staying on XP .

in this country , for a small business that has 3-10 machines it can be a tough call to migrate to a newer OS .

two of my friends are in exactly this position ... much as the dentist said "your teeth are fine but the gums have got to go ..." .

their comps are in great shape hardware wise (cpu speed , ram , hd , etc.) but their economic and technical positions leave them awash .

if they could do their own work on the installation , migration , driver/program updating and those other "little things" (he says euphemistically) they would be ok .

as it stands , they do not have the time or prowess to work on their own stuff/system to this degree .

a couple of local comp outfits have put in "guesstimate quotes" (that i deciphered for them) ...

i won't go into great detail , but , they want almost as much for brand new machines as to load a copy of W7 on the old ones ! this does not include the software/driver/etc "make it work" side .

/methinks someone is getting bent over .

in this country , for a small business that has 3-10 machines it can be a tough call to migrate to a newer OS .

There-in lies another major problem ............

It is not getting them to update to another OS, but installing New Computers with them.

A 10 year (or more) old computer is often the cause of many of these related built-in problems.

I have 3 old (former XP system computers) but I would never consider installing Windows 7 or 8 in these computers.

We must start to think about HDD degeneration, and many other problems that will start now.

The XP I am typing on needs a Keyboard, a Mouse, a CD/DVD player (might salvage one) and HDD readings are now showing long term wear (not fatal yet) but these will all fail in time, even with Win 7 installed.

Add to that, I would need to replace and upgrade RAM, so it is a compounding problem.

Cheaper to but a new Win 7 or (ugh) 8 ready made and with a year or 2 warranty included -

:unsure: Just my take on it -

• Root Admin

That's part of it to be sure.  But again I think the point that many miss in many posts around the Internet on this subject is that many times its not even in Office use.  It's in manufacturing or testing areas and often has no access to the Internet and does a repetitive task over and over each day.  So if its doing it job daily why would you want to spend anywhere from a couple hundred to a thousand dollars per computer to replace it?  You don't need the new features, you don't have to be afraid of infections, etc, etc.

I can't resist posting guys. :lol:

I was a user of Windows XP since 2001 using a new Dell Inspiron desktop w/ a 320 gb HD and considered Windows XP to be an untouchable OS till I made an upgrade to Windows 7 Professional OS with a "refurbished" Dell Optiplex 740 tower I picked up on-line from Wal-Mart on March 31st of this year. Sure they supplied a genertic keyboard and mouse that were not quite up to standard, but I ended up with a 1 tb HD and a OS I'm quite happy with. I sure the heck didn't want to go the route of Windows 8 which is about all that is available anymore. I downloaded Libre Office and put it on to take the place of using Word. Documents even look like they were done with Word. A lot of free programs are available if you look around. Windows 7 is a bit different than XP, but I would never go back in time. I like the idea of having an "Administrator" account for access to all programs and updates something that was not necessary with Windows XP as I had it set up.

W3FSY - Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 8 isn't half bad once you get a hammer and bang it into shape. It's faster than Windows 7, and I never ever get BSOD's or full box crashes anymore. I have the install disks for Win 7 Pro just in case my OEM 8 bites the dust. This article gives me an idea. I think I will write to my publisher. Our book was written for XP. :lol:

I like my XP pro and had all those othere Windows 95 Aptiva was a nice machine also for it has a sub system difficult to hack at that time. I am tired of buying computers , it is that simple. I lost all the work on 95 due to changes in newer programs and that continues to happen with each new machine. My daughter learned Basic, Basic 3 and 4 and worked on her own , I think called Lynx and now none of her education is worth all that much.. Sad very sad and greedy

Hi everyone :)

Me I have an old computer, IBM Intel Pentium 4, 3,00 GHz. I have Windows XP Pro service pack 3. I LOVE XP! And it's like AS said; I will use it for 5 more years if I can.

Some of my friends have Windows 7 and still prefer XP. But the problem is, for my experiences, with old machines it's better XP. And XP with not all the updates...Cause my last computer was on XP and I put all the updates and it begins to have a lot of problems...Sorry (maybe I am just paranoïd :D) but I think that microsoft want the people to upgrade their machines and their Windows.

So for now my computer is faster than some of my friends with bigger machines and Windows 7. I'm here cause I caught a virus for the first time(yeah, yeah!), and I want to save my computer and my XP for long! But for now the problem is almost solved with the big help of AS!

I'M not a rich girl, and I'll try to keep this machine, the more powerful I had still now.

One really can say XP vs. Win7.

The majority of XP users will be using the 32bit version of XP (aka; XP/32).  While there was a 64bit version, it just didn't have a large user base.  Windows 7 is another story.  I can't tell you the ratio of users with Windows 7 32bit (aka; Win7/32) vs. Windows 7 64bit (aka; Win7/64) but there are a significant number to the point where one can say that Win7/64 has a large user base.

That being said...

To compare XP you can to compare XP/32 with Win7/32.  One can't compare XP/32 with Win7/64.  Guaranteed the 64bit OS will be slower than its 32bit sibling.

I have in front of me right now a Dell Optiplex GX620.  The owner knew XP will be at EoL April 2014 so she bought Windows 7.  Since the Dell Optiplex GX620 can only have a maximum of 4GB, she obtained Win7/32.  It runs extremely well and I'd be hard pressed to say anything but it runs as fast or probably even faster than the XP/32 she had on it.

I can also state that I have have installed Vista/32 on this platform and while I haven't bench marked XP/32 vs. Vista/32 vs. Win7/32 I can say I am very impressed with the speed of Win7/32 on this 2005/2006 era PC.

The question I have is what exactly is this (make and model);  IBM Intel Pentium 4, 3GHz PC ?

it's better XP. And XP with not all the updates...Cause my last computer was on XP and I put all the updates <snip>

I'm here cause I caught a virus for the first time(yeah, yeah!),

Hi:

Cost of upgrading hardware/OS & nostalgia aside, DHL and the other experts can address the performance and benchmarking issues of the various versions of Windows. :)

But, from the standpoint of an end user, an unpatched XP computer connected to the internet is pretty much the digital version of Typhoid Mary, no?

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-warns-windows-xp-users-risk-zero-day-forever-7000019503/

<just sayin'>

I wouldn't say it is "the digital version of Typhoid Mary,"

If memory serves me she was a carrier of a disease but was immune to it.  Thus she had a high propensity of passing on the infection to a large number of people without ever succumbing to the disease she carried.

I would equate it to a population of of indigenous natives such as the Lenni Lenape of the Eastern USA or the Hawaiins.

These indigenous people had zero immunity to European diseases and so very large portions of their population succumbed to them and died.

So in comparison...

A PC that has not been properly patched, updated and protected is akin  to a human population who has no immunities nor inoculations for human related disease and thus will succumb to them. 

A PC that has not been properly patched, updated and protected therefore has a higher propensity of computer related infections.

(Look up the fate of the indigenous Delaware people and their "friend", Sir Jeffery Amherst, for another historical analogy. :) )

Lenni Lenape

"The Lenape /ləˈnɑːpi/ are Native American peoples now living in Canada and the United States. They are also called Delaware Indians, or the Delaware Nation"

300px-Lenape_Languages.png

The Lenape indigenous people were "here" where I live.  Many of the town, rivers, streets and place names are derived from their names.  Not far from me is a Lenape trail that goes from the beaches of the Atlantic Ocean to the shores of the Delaware River in the Mount Holly area.  That old "Indian Trail" is now a well traveled County Road.

I pay homage to those indigenous people that came before us.

< OK, That's enough OT for this thread, back to the XP EoL discussion >

"Some of my friends have Windows 7 and still prefer XP. But the problem is, for my experiences, with old machines it's better XP. And XP with not all the updates...Cause my last computer was on XP and I put all the updates and it begins to have a lot of problems...Sorry (maybe I am just paranoïd :D) but I think that microsoft want the people to upgrade their machines and their Windows."

while it is true that , on occasion , microsoft did put out a patch that had an ill effect on some machines , these were pulled , beat into shape and put back up .

the advantage that XP has is "time in grade" ; all the patches and what-not have been time tested and proven (the absolutely new patches notwithstanding) .

there are many causes for "poor performance" ; fragmented hard drives , a screwed up registry , programs running in the background (known and unknown) , etc . one of the biggest problems of them all is : operator head-space hindered inflicted technology .

i do not believe that microsoft would put themselves into a bad position (legally) by "creating" problems via patches in order to get users to "change over" .

still , like it or not , all things evolve and software is one of them .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody :)

I'm just a simple girl, poor, relatively new beginner with computers. I don't know a lot of things about it and I just wrote in this topic because it was saying that poor people using XP will continue to use it cause it works fine and does the job; and that's what it is for me.

I don't have a diploma in technology, I just speak for my own littles experiments; I don't mean to force my ideas....

I have in front of me right now a Dell Optiplex GX620.  The owner knew XP will be at EoL April 2014 so she bought Windows 7.  Since the Dell Optiplex GX620 can only have a maximum of 4GB, she obtained Win7/32.  It runs extremely well and I'd be hard pressed to say anything but it runs as fast or probably even faster than the XP/32 she had on it.

I can also state that I have have installed Vista/32 on this platform and while I haven't bench marked XP/32 vs. Vista/32 vs. Win7/32 I can say I am very impressed with the speed of Win7/32 on this 2005/2006 era PC.

Good, I'm happy for her. ... Me I know the Dell company but Optiplex GX620 is like Chinese( :D) for me. I don't say that Windows 7 is not better, I just say that for me and my few friends, we are more satisfied with the XP. Like the Chinese in the topic's subject.

The question I have is what exactly is this (make and model);  IBM Intel Pentium 4, 3GHz PC ?

?? I'm not sure I understand you well here; I'm sorry I didn't know we needed to be very precise when we speak about our machines....I thought that saying the brand name and the kind of processor and his speed was sufficient to give an idea that I don't have a "bomb" for machine and that I prefer XP (in the China-Windows XP subject). ... But here: IBM Thinkcenter 8187F4F

Hi:

Cost of upgrading hardware/OS & nostalgia aside, DHL and the other experts can address the performance and benchmarking issues of the various versions of Windows. :)

But, from the standpoint of an end user, an unpatched XP computer connected to the internet is pretty much the digital version of Typhoid Mary, no?

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-warns-windows-xp-users-risk-zero-day-forever-7000019503/

<just sayin'>

I caught a virus because I downloaded a FREE game on my computer and turned off my AV when it warned me...I thought it was just making trouble cause it was a game. That's how. Now I KNOW about FREE stuff. But before that I NEVER got infected.

Disabled your AV on a big new machine with a new OS with all the updates and go download free stuff and things from bad sites and I think you will be infected!

Typhoid Mary.... Oh, my bad, I thought it was a chocolate bar! :)

still , like it or not , all things evolve and software is one of them .

Oh it's not that I don't like it; I'm poor and my friends too and we try to do our best with what we have and keep it long term. Here, old IBM and Windows XP are like gold...

Go buy me a new powerful machine with a new OS, give it to me and I will gladly take it! ;)

We're doing with what we have!

Very interesting this topic, I didn't know the Chinese was using that much XP. :)

overview specs for the IBM Thinkcenter 8187F4F : http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-51144 .

a range of processors were used . your machine has (for a cpu) what some of us call the "P4 hotplate" .

(for those that do not know , a "hotplate" is a flat electric heating element designed for cooking on)

i have a couple of the older motherboards and CPUs around my place , i had many more and have worked on a lot of stuff ... the motherboards are dying one-by-one (capacitors going bad) .

while replacing the capacitors on a motherboard is possible (i have done a lot of repair in this area) the costs involved quickly add up .

as an example : a new "cheapo" motherboard that is actually a step above your present motherboard is available for about 40 USD , the cost to replace the bad capacitors on a motherboard will be above this amount (by quite a bit) . so , spending 40 dollars makes more pocketbook sense .

however , a new copy of XP will be needed (a new motherboard requires a new OS or key) .

(i will not entertain nor debate the use of "cracked" copies of XP and otherwise bogus methods of implementation .

staying legal keeps one out of the cross-bar motel (aka : prison/jail) .

one can obtain a legitimate copy of XP for around 50 USD (check on ebay ... carefully) .

you will also more than likely (not always) need a newer processor that is compatible with your new motherboard , say 50 usd .

add some up-to-date RAM for the motherboard ... say , 30 usd (maybe even used RAM would be available ... i have a bunch in my bone-pile)

shove all of this in your existing box and fire it up ... for about 170 usd you have a working XP machine .

if you purchase a copy of W7 to load , it will cost you more (again , check on ebay) .

now you can start saving up for a new power supply ... because your old one has been running for years and will die on you ... hopefully it will not take out your new motherboard when it releases the "magic smoke" .

sooo ... there does come a point when it is cheaper in the long run to get rid of the old stuff rather than have it "nickel and dime" one to death .

as for "making do" ...

if someone wants to hand me some brand new stuff , i would have a tough time accepting it .

i have been "making do" for years ... not because i have to but because i want to .

i am one of those fortunate (or is that unfortunate ?) people that like to figure out ways to avoid falling prey to "the system" ...

education about certain matters is important ... it helps keep one from becoming "just another one of the sheep" .

Hi :)

My computer was free. It was a bank who got rid of its old machines. I know that my Windows XP is legal cause I don't think company are using cracked OS. But I don't have the CD.

Me and my friends don't have money to spend to buy even old parts.....what we have are gifts, or stuff throwed in recycle bin. So if we can put our hands on a not so bad machine like mine..It's like gold!

I'M satisfied with what I have, and I take good care of my machine cause I know it's used and that someday it will die. I don't use it in hot summer days and I turn it off when I leave.

And I will not use it to cook some eggs or bacon :D so maybe it will still last for a few more years.

as your machine came from a bank , i would bet the OS is legitimate .

many businesses do "give away" their old machines but the hard drives have been removed and destroyed (been there , done that) .

some businesses wipe the hard drive and re-install the OS .

some businesses "de-personalize" a machine (restore the machine/OS to a "factory fresh" condition) .

heat shortens the life of a machine ... make sure that the machine has good free air flow around it (do not place it in a cabinet) .

keep the dust and what-not out of it :

pull the side cover and use a long bristle brush to clean out the dust . one can use a vacuum cleaner along with the brush .

using a can of "compressed air" to blow out the dust (especially from the cpu cooler) is ok .

the use of a "real" air compressor is ok if you have access to one .

don't forget the power supply ... those need all the help they can get .

in all cases , do not let any fan "spin up" while cleaning ... this makes the fan act as an alternator/generator and as such may cause damage to components in the fan drive circuitry .

a part of the gist of this thread is the fact that M$ is pulling the plug on XP in a short time .

this means that no new "security" patches will be written for XP unless those patches apply by "legacy" from the newer operating systems .

this is not about "if it aint broke ..." , it is more about being prudent and wise .

one cannot do anything about M$ pulling the pin on XP so , one has to do the best next correct indicated thing (according to their financial situation) .

for some individuals this means upgrading to W7 or W8/W8.1 .

for those individuals with machines that will not "upgrade" to the newer operating systems or their financial situation precludes purchasing a new(er) OS , this would indicate using the option of switching over to a (say) linux OS .

there is another side to this : just because (not "cause") a machine is only five years old does not mean that it can be upgraded to W7 .

M$ has a utility that one can run in order to determine if a machine will run W7 ... in some cases a bios upgrade and/or MB driver will be needed .

in actuality , i have had much better luck installing W8.1b in a variety of older machines "as is" ... some of these were machines that the M$ compatibility tool indicated would not run W7 .

(all the bets are off with/on toshiba machines)

the upgrading fine points aside ...

with the lack of "security" patches , i would put money on the malware and other nefarious type of ill-intentioned pond-scum to attack XP .

this is common sense ... a pack of wolves will attack a sick , old , crippled and defenseless animal before they will run after a healthy animal that can get away easily .

if you cannot afford to "upgrade" to a new(er) OS then making darn sure that your "anti" stuff and firewall are the best you can afford and are up to date .