Ignore list item being ignored

Hi,

I have entered a program into the ignore list but I keep getting popups telling me that a process is being blocked.

The process has the same name as the item I added to the ignore list.

Yes I can turn off the notification popups but that merely hides the fact that malwarebytes is still blocking the process does it not ?

How can I force malwarebytes to actually use its own ignore list correctly?

Hello and welcome, apaseall: :)

I assume you're following the steps listed here? How do I add a file, program or folder to Ignore List? :)

If that's not working, I think the staff will likely need a bit more info in order to sort this out for you. :)
>>>In particular, what is the process or program that you are trying to ignore?

Please follow the steps below and post back with the logs attached to your next reply.

• Checkresults.txt from mbam-check
  • A couple of protection logs, if you have them
  • DDS.txt from DDS
  • Attach.txt from DDS

These will provide the MBAM staff with a bit of information that will help them to pinpoint the cause and the solution for you.

Thanks!

daledoc1

-----------------------------

Step 1 -- Create an mbam-check log:

Download mbam-check.exe from HERE and save it to your desktop.
Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file.
Please attach to your next reply the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop.

Then, if you can, please also upload your 3 most recent Protection module logs:

In Windows XP, these logs are located in: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs
In Windows Vista/7/8, these logs are located in: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Step 2 -- Run DDS and create 2 logs:

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once it is downloaded, you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

•  
  • When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please attach both of the following logs to your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    --->You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Thanks, Porthos. ;)

@apaseall:

Porthos is quite correct - what you are experiencing is IP blocks, not a detection of a program/process as malware by MBAM.

Azureus is a P2P-type program, is it not?
If so, then you'll want to review the instructions in this KB topic: Why does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware block BitTorrent or other Peer to Peer Clients?
It explains why the MBAM IP-blocking module is blocking IPs in your torrent program, and how to safely deal with them.

Also:
Risks of File-Sharing Technology.
P2P file sharing: Know the risks

The staff may have some additional advice for you.

HTH,

daledoc1

Would IP Blocks be "enable malicious website blocking" ?

So if I disabled that option in settings, immediately malwarebyte would cease to perform IP Blocks ?

Yes Azureus used P2P amongst other things.

Ideally I want to not have to manually enable and disable stuff in malwarebytes when I want to use another program.

Oh and thank you all for your comments on this, much appreciated.

Hi, again:

Yes, that is the feature. :)

However, it's not a good idea to disable it.

The IP protection module is one of the primary components of MBAM's real-time protection: What does it mean when I get an IP alert about blocking a 'malicious' site?

The IPs that are being blocked are being blocked for a reason, as some can be associated with transmission of malware, particularly on file-sharing networks.

It would be safer to enable the IP blocking module, and to disable the tooltip balloon notifications, if they are frequent or bothersome.

Again, this is explained here: Why does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware block BitTorrent or other Peer to Peer Clients?

Frequently when using a peer-to-peer (P2P) client to download, such as a BitTorrent client, you may see notifications that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has blocked access to a potentially malicious website.

This is quite normal and occurs because P2P applications connect to a wide variety of IP addresses, which can often include IP addresses known for hosting malicious content, such as malware, so these IP's may be in our website blocking database.

If the notifications are too frequent and you wish to disable them while still allowing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to continue protecting your PC by blocking the malicious websites, then you may do the following:

1. Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and access the Protection tab
  2. Uncheck the box next to Show tooltip balloon when malicious website is blocked.
  3. Click the Exit button

However, it's your choice, of course.

Kind regards,

daledoc1

Yes I would prefer to not have to turn off IP Protection because as you say it is quite a large part of why I bought Pro in the first place.

However turning off the notifications does not stop the blocking does it.

Since each popup does clearly state the process causing the IP Block trigger I did assume that filtering via the ignore list would work.

Plainly I am keen on having the IP Protection but not if it is triggered by a process that I choose to trust.

I would like to keep IP Protection on but to have it ignore triggers generated by processes I pick.

Hi:

I don't use any P2P software, but it's my understanding that turning off the balloon notifications while leaving the IP blocking module enabled ought to have no noticeable impact on the performance of the torrent program.

IOW, it will still work just fine, but you will still be protected from potentially malicious IPs, while not having to see the balloon notifications.

That's because it's NOT the process itself that is being blocked, merely connection to the potentially malicious IPs.

OTOH, If you disable the website blocking/IP protection module, your computer will be more vulnerable to malware infection, especially through continued use of file-sharing programs, such as Vuze. (Kindly refer to the links in my earlier reply >>HERE<<.)

We'll need to wait for one of the staff to arrive & they will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it's currently possible to do what you want, the way you want to do it, with the IP blocking module.

Please wait for further assistance from one of the MBAM staff.

Alternatively, since you are paid user of MBAM PRO, you may wish to open a ticket with the help desk, by filling out the web form >>HERE<<.

If you do, please include the link back to this forum topic when you submit your request.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=130471

Kind regards,

daledoc1