Boot up problems

SAP3691

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 that will not boot up normally, or in safe mode or last known good configuration.

The message - C0000218 (registry file failure) cannot load hive (file) \systemRoot\system32\config\software or it's log on alternatives.

I have booted to the XP CD and run the recovery console and entered the repair command, but the 'system cannot find the file specified'

Any other options??

I hope I have posted this in the right place.

Thank you

I ran into this about 2 weeks ago at work... It ended up being a defective HDD. If you cannot repair the O/S, I would try doing a diagnostic on the HDD with either Dell's diagnostic tools that are usually included or one from the UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD).

Also, if you need to grab files off before a complete format, you can use a UBCD for Windows CD or Ubuntu Live CD to grab those files off the HDD.

Hope this helps,

swagger

I ran into this about 2 weeks ago at work... It ended up being a defective HDD. If you cannot repair the O/S, I would try doing a diagnostic on the HDD with either Dell's diagnostic tools that are usually included or one from the UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD).

Also, if you need to grab files off before a complete format, you can use a UBCD for Windows CD or Ubuntu Live CD to grab those files off the HDD.

Hope this helps,

swagger

Swagger

Thank you

I am not an expert - so how do I run from C:\ as the XP boot disc is still in the laptop

Regards

What do you mean run from C:\? What are you trying to run? The Dell diagnostic utility is usually somewhere in the Boot menu (F12) on most Dell machines. The UBCD for Windows or Ubuntu Live CDs are image files that you would burn to a recordable media like a CD-R that runs from the CD-rom drive.

swagger

What do you mean run from C:\? What are you trying to run? The Dell diagnostic utility is usually somewhere in the Boot menu (F12) on most Dell machines. The UBCD for Windows or Ubuntu Live CDs are image files that you would burn to a recordable media like a CD-R that runs from the CD-rom drive.

swagger

Swagger

Many thanks.

I ran diagnostic 'start DST short test - FAIL

error code 1000-0146

message unit 0:dst log contains previous errors

I have now tried to reinstall XP disc - error message 'set up could not find any hard disc drives installed on your computer'

Sorry to be dense - any idea of next steps??

Regards

Swagger

Many thanks.

I ran diagnostic 'start DST short test - FAIL

error code 1000-0146

message unit 0:dst log contains previous errors

I have now tried to reinstall XP disc - error message 'set up could not find any hard disc drives installed on your computer'

Sorry to be dense - any idea of next steps??

Regards

SAP3691,

I am afraid my first thoughts were correct. Your hard drive is failing. It failed one of the hard drive tests. You may still be able to get important data off of the HDD by using a Ubuntu Live CD or slaving this HDD from another computer. If you don't have anything that's that important or you have backups, I would just buy a new HDD and install Windows. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

swagger

I just got through building a computer for a friend. This makes the 4th computer ive built myself.

I install everything properly. Everything is plugged in, and installed correctly.

I finally plug it up to the wall, and hit the power button. Everything powers on. Hd is on, all fans(including cpu fan which is powered through the mobo), mootherboard lights come on, cdrom, ect. But nothing boots up. No beeping sounds from built in speaker, nothing comes up on the monitor, and no hard drive activity.

Any idea on what could be the problem? Im leaning towards a defective motherboard or processor. I just wanted a second opinion before I start shipping things off for replacement.

Thanks.

I just got through building a computer for a friend. This makes the 4th computer ive built myself.

I install everything properly. Everything is plugged in, and installed correctly.

I finally plug it up to the wall, and hit the power button. Everything powers on. Hd is on, all fans(including cpu fan which is powered through the mobo), mootherboard lights come on, cdrom, ect. But nothing boots up. No beeping sounds from built in speaker, nothing comes up on the monitor, and no hard drive activity.

Any idea on what could be the problem? Im leaning towards a defective motherboard or processor. I just wanted a second opinion before I start shipping things off for replacement.

Thanks.

If you have a problem, start a seperate thread vnvnvn2000. Please don't hijack others' threads...

swagger

Have you tried looking in the bios to see if the drive is turned on properly? I had that happen once, not sure how, but the drive was turned off in bios, fortunately, I DID check it and turn it back on and everything was hunky dory...

Another option is to check the drive with MicroScope from Micro2000. Expensive lil progie, but one of the best out there for pure hardware issues.