Malwarebytes Adopts Aggressive PUP Policy

• Administrators

I am using malwarebytes and run the Quick Scan daily.  Since the end of July I have been getting "PUPs" showing up....IE:  1 Aug = 5 Pups, 2 Aug = 5 PUPs and then on second scan = 7 PUPs, 3 Aug AM & PM scans = 0 PUPs, 4 Aug = 0 PUPs, 5 Aug = 4 PUPs, 6 Aug AM & PM scans = 0 PUPs, 7 Aug on the scan just run = 0. 

I have always checked eached one a did 'remove' and restart computer.  But they keep coming back.......Browser Defender, Delta A, Smartbar A, Babylon A Tarma A, Bab Solution A,  Wajam,  SweetPacks, SweetIM, Conduit A, and WeCare A.

How can I stop this??  The only thing I did was download a Hearts game as the one I had was acting up (it is fine now) and after this started happening I went in and removed it. I also check my control panel and removed something with  'Sweet" and a 'We Care'....have not found anything in control panel to remove.

Hope you can help.  Thank You!!!!

By default, PUPs we flagged are "Show in results list and do not check for removal". So when you manually delete them from the result list, you technically are not removing them -- that's why they show up again when you scan.

Follow the instructions on this page to change the default option to "Show in results list and check for removal" to permanently remove these PUPs http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/23482988-What-are-the-PUP-detections-are-they-threats-and-should-they-be-deleted
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hello,

have loaded down an update concerning the tool "Garmin express"  being used to

install new maps for the Garmin car navigation sets. A scan prior to the download

resulted into 0 infected items. After the download, Malwarebytes noted

21 pup optionals of various kinds. Maybe these "pups" are essential for

installing the maps correctly, hence should not be removed.

What do you say?

Best regards!

Peter :(       

Hi, Peter67:

It's impossible to say for sure without seeing the MBAM scan log.
PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program
What are the 'PUP' detections, are they threats and should they be deleted?

Since this thread is more of a "news"/"announcement" topic than a diagnostics/troubleshooting thread, I would suggest that you please follow the recommendations in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
A malware analyst will guide you through review of the scan logs, so that you can determine what can/should be removed and what you can safely keep/ignore.

Thanks,

daledoc1

Hello,

have loaded down an update concerning the tool "Garmin express"  being used to

install new maps for the Garmin car navigation sets. A scan prior to the download

resulted into 0 infected items. After the download, Malwarebytes noted

21 pup optionals of various kinds. Maybe these "pups" are essential for

installing the maps correctly, hence should not be removed.

What do you say?

Best regards!

Peter :(       

Greetings Peter.

Did you download the update from the authors website (http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html)

or from a 3rd party hosting site ?

The reason why i ask is i cannot replicate your detections from software hosted at the authors site but when you search "Garmin express" download there are 3rd party sites offering free downloads of which some utilize download wrappers.This is where they add their own choice of  additional softwares.Often this is a pay per install basis so they get paid for installing additional softwares(s) on a end users computer.

In the case of download wrappers the additional software(s) are not mission critical for the original target software but are there to make money for the download hosting site.

Is there anyway to get a select all on those PUP's.

Sometimes on one of my systems, I get  a lot maybe 300 plus PUP's and have to scroll down and manually select each one.

Hi and welcome, benglish60: :)

The default action for PUP detections is "Show in results list and do not check for removal."

If you want Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove these PUP detections reported after a scan, each item must be checked.

• To do so quickly, you can highlight one of the detections by left clicking on it.
  • Then, right click on the highlighted detection, and select 'Check All Items'.
  • Next, click 'Remove Selected'. That should address the PUP entries.

If you want to keep/ignore the PUP detections, because they are familiar to you and you use them, you can add them to the Ignore List.

If you want to edit the way PUP detections are reported and handled, you can edit the MBAM settings, as described below, and then run your scan again:

• Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, click the 'Settings' tab.
  • Click the 'Scanner Settings' tab
  • Click the menu bar for each and select one of the following options: "Do not show results in list", "Show in results list and check for removal", or "Show in results list and do not check for removal".
  • When done, click the 'Exit' button.

These are also explained in this recent blog post:  http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2013/09/selecting-all-pups/

>>Having said all that, if you're not sure what to remove and what to keep/ignore, please follow the recommendations in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.

A malware analyst will guide you through the cleanup process.

Thanks,

daledoc1

Hope this helps,

daledoc1

• 5 months later...

Thank you all very much for the PUP protection being added. I hate all PUP's. If I wanted them I would of asked for them.

A new PUP on the block is Optimazer Pro. At this time Malwarebytes doesn't catch it but I do.

**This maybe helpful:

When ever downloading make a note of all the extra offerings whether you take them or not.

After downloading what you want check your list and see if any of them PUP's have slipped in.

Sometimes when choosing not to install the add on they still are installed.

Like any other security progams Malwarebytes good people will need a little time to check out so many things before adding or deleting things from their protection list.

• 1 month later...

New to this forum.  I bought this service to remove   Pup.Optional.Conduit.A   from my

Vista (64 bit) laptop.  It finds it on a scan; quarantines it.  but it reappears as soon as

I visit yahoo.com on my chrome browser.  It does not find it in real time, and gives me

no option for removal when found in a scan.  Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Many thx

bruno81

New to this forum.  I bought this service to remove   Pup.Optional.Conduit.A   from my

Vista (64 bit) laptop.  It finds it on a scan; quarantines it.  but it reappears as soon as

I visit yahoo.com on my chrome browser.  It does not find it in real time, and gives me

no option for removal when found in a scan.  Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Many thx

bruno81

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Being that you are probably infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

• Root Admin

Just a note for anyone else that might come along reading this posting.  You do not need to purchase the program to scan and remove threats. In fact one should never purchase anything online from a computer that is believed to be infected.  Make sure the computer is clean before using it for any type of sensitive information such as finance or other business transactions.

We certainly do appreciate you purchasing the product and using the Premium version adds real time protection and automated scheduling to help keep your system clean as prevention is always better than cleanup after the fact.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/premium/

• 2 weeks later...

I am starting to like MBAM more since I activated the Premium version, I've had the keys laying around for 3 months in case I couldn't re-activate on my new build.

IT seems to act more like a full AV program with version 2. One site I visit often no longer shows popups and stupid ads.

:D thank you for update. i am a host for server and last thing i need is for my user info get attack. before the update, i was getting pop warning me there is a problem. even know system try to block it. it cant stop it. after this update. it kill all pup and even put a block on a user on other end that may have been attacking my server. all pop stop after the scan on new upgrade. there is 1 more thing i want from you guy to build. i need a app for chrome that will scan download before it let my pc download them or/and scan website before i go on them. i think that will help user all over this world to protect them from bad download or/and bad website. if you can do that. you will be number 1 in my book.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the paid version and because of the other person using this computer PUP's show up scans almost weekly. I always run Spybot Search & Destroy after Malwarebytes and get, on average, between 30 and 60 mid to lower level threat malware, adware and tracking cookies that sometimes affect registry key. I have found using both, and having both, has worked well.

Having these enabled me to help remove a dangerous virus that disabled my antivirus and internet connection. After running them I was able to get online and find out how to remove what she downloaded by clicking "Yes" on a popup that froze the page and claimed I needed to run a scan to find and remove the virus. The same thing happened when a popup, looking like Adobe, said I needed to update the flash player. She has finally learned her lesson, at least when using my pc. Her laptop is another matter and as hard as I try I can't get her to put Malwarebytes, or Spybot S&D on it.