I am sick of this hidden virus...."alureon" Please advise, thanks.

Hello! See title....I have been getting Microsoft warnings of Malicious Software on my computer along with a message that Microsoft has been only able to partially remove the threat. This happens more often lately. I have run both Malwarebytes (always finds a threat, says removed, not true), and Avast! which doesn't even find any threats at all.

I'm a computer novice, but even I found the Virus in question. It's the same one that has been there for weeks. It is called Alureon/. It doesn't appear to effect day to day operations of the computer itself, but who knows what it is doing in the background.

Why Malwarebytes is able to locate and say it's removed but it's still there, I don't know. I read that a download of Kaspersky TDSS Killer will solve the issue. Can you tell me if this is accurate? I want to fix this without having to resort to calling IYogi or taking my computer somewhere. Thank-you so much.

Jayne. :)

PS Can you advise how dangerous you think this alureon is? I don't keep banking info online, but have email, other various password accounts, etc.

Hello Jayne! My name is Borislav and I will be glad to help you solve your malware problem.

Please note:

• If you are a paying customer, you have the privilege to contact the help desk at Consumer Support. If you choose this option to get help, please let me know.
  • I recommend you to keep the instructions I will be giving you so that they are available to you at any time. You can save them in a text file or print them.
  • Make sure you read all of the instructions and fixes thoroughly before continuing with them.
  • Follow my instructions strictly and don’t hesitate to stop and ask me if you have any questions.
  • Post your log files, don't attach them. Every log file should be copy/pasted in your next reply.
  • Do not perform any kind of scanning and fixing without my instructions. If you want to proceed on your own, please let me know.
I'm afraid I have bad news.

One or more of the identified infections is a rootkit. Rootkits are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

I suggest you disconnect this computer from the Internet immediately you finish reading this post.

If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the computer, or if it contains any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, your computer is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted.

Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the Operating System.

Visit the following sites for more information on Internet theft and when to reformat!

Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?

Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do? Part II

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will of course do our best to clean the computer of any infections that we can see but, as I already stated, we can in no way guarantee it to be trustworthy.

If you have any questions before making a final decision, please feel free to ask.

Instructions how to format and reinstall Windows can be found here

Thanks very much for the info.....depressing as it is! I do have another computer (but would be limited on my usage). The only bit of good news is I have an unopened brand new Windows 7 in the house Somewhere along the line, (probably dealing with the Iyogi people when I had a service contract with them) I was told my Windows 7 program was corrupted-- hence buying the new Windows 7.

I couldn't see any obvious changes in my operational system except for the occasional blue screen crash and decided to not install the new Windows 7 program. Also, I kind of hate the idea of wiping everything on my computer. But this Alureon has been hanging around sometime and I'm fed up with it.

I have another question for you. If I completely un-install my Windows 7 and put the new Windows 7 on, then how can I be sure I won't pick up this alureon again? My family tells me the reason I end up with virus's and they don't is due to the fact I surf so many sites, albeit sometimes for only a few seconds. Maybe 100 a week, just looking up information, or Googling things of interest. I try to be careful and look at the address to ensure it doesn't have a weird name...but nothing is full proof. Anyway, didn't mean to get off track. Guess I'm asking if to be safe I'm going to have to limit myself to 3 or 4 favorite sites and that's it? Appreciate your help and sorry that I'm bit slow with all the computer know how. Jayne

PS. Almost forgot, if you think it's best, would someone like yourself mind helping me with instructions on un-installing Windows 7 and re-installing the new one? Thanks again, Jayne

^^^ Just realized I hadn't yet read those hyper links you posted Maniac.....I'll get to checking those right out. Jayne

If I completely un-install my Windows 7 and put the new Windows 7 on, then how can I be sure I won't pick up this alureon again?

The safest, if not transferring any backup. Alternatively, if you want to transfer any information, it should be limited to photos, documents and similar type files. Extremely inadvisable to upload any executable files (.exe for example).

PS. Almost forgot, if you think it's best, would someone like yourself mind helping me with instructions on un-installing Windows 7 and re-installing the new one? Thanks again, Jayne

^^^ Just realized I hadn't yet read those hyper links you posted Maniac.....I'll get to checking those right out. Jayne

Everything you need to know is at the links I already send you.

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!