Still have MB Pro hang ups for Forum Deity

• Root Admin

Please go ahead and run me some new logs scans.

STEP 1

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment. 

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  • DDS.txt
  • Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply as an attachment: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file

STEP 2

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

STEP 3

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

•  
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

STEP 4

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

• Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center/Action Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

STEP 5

Next, download Security Check from here or here.

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Please uninstall the following applications from the Control Panel, Add/Remove and restart the computer.
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03
Macromedia Flash Player

The following item I personally would uninstall and use VLC to play any such files if needed, but that's up to you.
RealPlayer Basic

The program is pretty much Snake Oil and can cause more harm than good. I highly recommend you uninstall it.
Do I need a Windows Registry Cleaner?
Registry Mechanic 6.0

The same goes for this program.  It too is responsible for creating issues in the Registry that are hard to track down. 

Up to you but (IMHO) your computer will thank you for not using it.
iolo technologies' System Mechanic 4 Professional

Nothing wrong with these programs but you should uninstall both entries and if you do want to use the program then download and install the latest version.
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.20

Please run this tool and do both a Short and Long test and let me know the results of your hard drive testing.
SeaTools for Windows

This entry in the Registry is certainly going to cause MBAM and potentially many other programs an issue.
You need to use Regedit and browse to this location and remove that entry for iexplore.exe

Compatibility Flag Settings (Any MBAM file listings should be removed):
=======================================================================

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Then I'd like you to do the following and do an MBAM Clean Removal Process

Then open Microsoft Security Essentials and go to the SETTINGS tab then on the left side click on the "Excluded files and locations" and add in "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" to the exclusions.

Then run a Full Disk check on your drive.  
You may have corrupted files on your disk.  Please try running the following.
First close ALL Applications as this routine will automatically restart your computer.
Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the following entry into the box and click OK

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

Then open MBAM and disable it from starting with Windows on the protection tab and reboot again.

Then run the following.

Please Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Download TFC from here and save it to your desktop.
  • http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double click TFC.exe to run it on XP (for Vista and Windows 7 right click and choose "Run as administrator") and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

Now start MBAM back up and re-enable the Start with Windows and enable the protection modules.

Then defrag the drive (unless it's an SSD drive) and then let me know how the computer and MBAM are running now.

The Event Logs today showed that MBAM.EXE had hung twice today - after the above hopefully there will be no more hanging of the application.

This is gonna take a lot longer...chkdsk is still running on the computer in question. By the time I get it defragged it will take all night. Its my wifes older internet pc. Which defragger do you want me to use? I have been using Defraggler on my other systems.

Ok, completed all tasks and ran a quick scan that completed with a hang or a temporary "not responding" from task manager.

I hope this resolves the issue and I very much appreciate your time and wisdom.

Should I run a full scan also to check?

Ok, completed all tasks and ran a quick scan that completed with a hang or a temporary "not responding" from task manager.

I hope this resolves the issue and I very much appreciate your time and wisdom.

Should I run a full scan also to check?

Sorry should sat Without a hang.

• Root Admin

There are often times where there is not feedback and that is normal.  It is scanning in areas where it has to verify the data it has scanned.  Even on my own system that is running an i7 processor can appear to be doing nothing for short periods of time.  On an older and slower system that time can be even longer, but again is normal.   How long it takes to complete also heavily depends on the speed of the system as well as how many folders and how many files are on the system. 

I'm going to be on the road with limited access to the board until Tuesday but I will try to check back in if possible.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Yes, that is correct because it is busy working and does not respond to a request for it's status.  Normally one just needs to wait a few minutes for it to update its status.

I'm going to be on the road with limited access to the board until Tuesday but I will try to check back in if possible.

Thanks

On this same machine, it would never stop responding every few files, now it does, at least in full scan. It went from about 1 hr to many hours to do a full scan. Maybe its your definitions and what your scanning now. For now I am not having any hangs, so without more of a specific problem, I'm OK.

I want to thank you for your help.

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!