Infected laptop need help

new development....I left the AVG window alone and wen to run malwarebytes and it came up with an error saying     This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel

It also gives me that error when I try to open firefox...

I can put Malwarebytes on a flash drive and run it from there I think, should I try that?

Thank you,

Anne

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't start any program now, even the snippet tool to show you the screen shot, but AVG popped up a window with big red AVG DETECTION and says it blocked several threats...one being combofix, which isn't of course, the other says it is Trojan Horse PSW.Generic11.ASJG  with c:\Windows/SysWOW64\clipures.dll below it...it is asking if I want to remove one or both of them...

Did you see this post I put up yesterday about what happened with AVG and Combofix?  

help, I messed up and told AVG to temporary disable until I restarted and it did but ComboFix is preparing the log report now and an AVG window popped up saying Trojan horse PSW.Generic11.ASJG was detected!

My choices are Protect Me (let's AVG deal with it)  or Ignore the threat...what do I do now? 

Sorry for my error...

I will have to do the rkill off of the flash drive as I have done before...the AVG shows the threat could not be removed Access is denied...I will run the rkill then update and run malwarebytes and let you know...seems like I can't get rid of one virus before it has another one!

Thanks!

Anne

You are infected again, it's possible that your flash drive is infected and you're transferring malware form computer to computer.

Download and install Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine on the good computer and when it's installed...plug in the flash drive and any other flash drives you use to be vaccinated. 
Then delete anything on them and/or scan them with Malwarebytes. (you won't be able to delete the file placed on there by Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine.
You should do this on the sick computer also asap:
http://research.pandasecurity.com/Panda-USB-and-AutoRun-Vaccine/

On the sick computer.....

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a folder. (64bit version)

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

MrC

Thanks for sticking with me, but I have spent the better part of two days (you have as well) and if I can't get it working again shortly I have no choice but to do that...I have other obligations I have been shirking thinking I can get his computer fixed with your help...I  will hang in here a bit longer but at some point I do have to call it quits...

I do appreciate all of  your help however and I thought we were close there until the file association thing started happening...since then I have been feeling like I may not be able to do this...

I will give these next things a go though and see if we can't get this!

Anne

I put it on the vaccinated flash drive and ran it from there, it created a restore point then said it was done and to restart the computer, which I did...still can't run programs...the instructions on this were not very clear on what is supposed to happen.

I have to leave now, thanks again for all of your help but I am done with this laptop!

Anne