I recall a Hub in San Francisco  doing this very thing in the mid 1990's and glad to see others are now doing something about it. So much personal information was taken , mostly by those in Hollywood to write films, I have heard 3 people besides me who know there work was confiscated and used in the film industry .

:lol: yep, I bet they have them filed away somewhere :P.

I lost some car keys a few years back.

I ought to give them a call to see if they "found" them.

As for the Europeans (and the Russians and the Chinese and the Venezuelans and the Ecuadorians and the Brits and the Cubans and the Koreans....), well, all I can say is: All nations collect intelligence, Obama says

I mean, seriously, does anyone really harbor any fantasy that the U.S. is the only country engaged in surveillance?

Tz0Vf7T.gif<JUST SAYIN', as I run to duck and cover>Tz0Vf7T.gif

• Root Admin

Nope - but the US is one of the few that allows public views to potentially change its behavior and one of the few that even entertains the idea and allow lawyers to openly debate or defy the Government over it.  Then when or IF you get caught bugging your own "friends" room well I suppose one would look down on it.

I would tend to agree with Jean Asselborn at least on some level.

"The Americans justify everything with combating terrorism," said the Luxembourg foreign minister, Jean Asselborn, who on Sunday described the latest allegations as disgusting. "The EU and its diplomats are not terrorists."

Nope - but the US is one of the few that allows public views to potentially change its behavior and one of the few that even entertains the idea and allow lawyers to openly debate or defy the Government over it.  Then when or IF you get caught bugging your own "friends" room well I suppose one would look down on it.

I would tend to agree with Jean Asselborn at least on some level.

Agree.

And both the "culture" and the surveillance infrastructure were put into place -- in some measure justifiably -- after 9/11 (recall: The Patriot Act).

No doubt the fear and surveillance industry have been ginned up and exploited in many ways since then (by media, by politicians, & by pundits).

(Ironically, none of this seemed to generate such a vociferous outcry under the previous administration.)

Devil's Advocate: when we get hit again, will the same voices protesting so loudly now be the same ones to ask, "Why didn't we know?".

We will always struggle to balance privacy and security, individual liberties and public good.

As you suggested, our democracy thankfully allows us the luxury of even having the discussion & debate.

<Just sayin'>

Didn't 9/11 happen in year 2,001  I was talking about year 97  and 98, now all that thieft did not stop the attack on the Stock Exchange, now did it? And some in Hollywood were afraid to be hit next in  after the Stock Exchange, could it be there were plans on putting a part of Hollywood right at the back door of a Mosk and really make some one angry? I know I had my machine fried in 1997 and was so glad it was still under warranty , and the only reason that was done, was so I could not prove it was hacked. I did go to the local police who were not equipped and was told to contact the FBI so I did. They wanted me to give them all the information to get those who hacked, and if I was able to do that, I wouldn't need the FBI ...so dream on