One iota's got an XP too

Hi D-Fred Brown.

This thread is for my infected XP desktop.

Thank you for helping. I intend to make a big fat donation just as soon as I get my wife's credit card. :)

Hi,

Should I run the same FRST as I did on the W7 laptop? (except the 32bit version) or is there a different one for XP?

(I have to wait till I get to work tomorrow, to copy the fixlist you made for my W7 laptop, but should be able to run it on my lunch break.)

Fixing this on XP is a little different. Windows XP doesn't have a Recovery Environment, so we have to use a different way to run FRST.

Do you have your Windows XP CD? If not, let me know before proceeding with the following.

--------------------------

Let's try to boot your computer using the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4win).

Please print this guide for future reference!

You will need a blank CD, a clean computer and a flash drive.

Please follow the steps below and let me know if you were successful. If you were unable to create the UBCD4win, please tell me what error messages you got and/or what steps you got hung up on.

step1.gif

1. Download and Run Ultimate Boot CD for Windows

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-Click on the UBCD4Win.EXE that you just downloaded to your desktop.
  • Follow all of the instructions/prompts that come up.
    NOTES:
  • Do not install to a folder with spaces in it's name.
  • Your Anti-Virus may report viruses or trojans when you extract UBCD4Win, these are "False-Positives." Read HERE for information regarding the files that normally trigger AV software.

2. Insert your XP CD with SP1/SP2/SP3 into a CD Rom drive

• Double-Click on UBCD4WinBuilder.exe located in your C:\ubcd4win folder.
  • Click "I agree" to the Builders License.
  • Click NO to Search for Windows Installation Files
  • Make the following selections from the Main Screen that pops up:
    • Builder
    • Source:(path to Windows installation files)
    • Enter the path to the drive where your XP CD is located.
    • You can click on the "..." button on the right to navigate to the path as well.
  • Custom: (include files and folders from this directory)
    • No information is necessary, leave blank.
  • Output: (C:\ubcd4win\BartPE)
    • Keep the default BartPE
  • Media output
  • Choose Create ISO image
  • Do not choose Burn to CD/DVD

Please note: If your XP install disc is SP1 then please .....

• Disable- DComLaunch Service
  • Enable- LargeIDE Fix

This can be done by pressing the "Plugin" button and checking or unchecking the appropriate selections

Also note: If you have a Dell XP install disc you will need to follow the instructions here
http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#dell
3. Click on the "Build" button

• You will see the Windows EULA message. Click on I Agree
  • You will now see the Build Screen. Let it run it's course
  • When the Build is finished you can click close, then exit

4. Burn your ISO file to CD

• Please see HERE on how to burn an ISO to CD.

==========

step2.gif

Next, from your clean computer:

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
and save it to your flash drive.

Now plug your flashdrive back into your sick computer and follow the next instructions:

==========

step3.gif

1. Restart Your sick Computer Using the UBCD4Win Disc That You Have Created

• Insert the UBCD4Win disc in to one of your CD/DVD drives.
  • Restart your computer.
    • The computer should choose to boot from the UBCD4Win CD automatically. If it doesn't and you are asked if you want to boot from CD, then choose that option.
  • In the window that pops up select Launch The Ultimate Boot CD For Windows and press Enter.
    • It may take a little longer for the Desktop to appear than it does when you start your computer normally. Just let the process run itself until the desktop appears.
  • Once the desktop appears, you will receive a message asking: Do you want to start Network support?
    • Click on Yes if you want to use the PE environment to get online post your log and reply by way of an Ethernet connection.
  • You should now have a desktop that looks like this:

Main.jpg

==========

step4.gif

• Single click My computer from your UBCD4W desktop to navigate to the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool you saved to your flash drive.
  • Double click on it to begin running the tool.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your next reply.

Aaargh! I bought the computer from Fry's, they didn't give me a cd with it.

Hell yeah!

I don't want to mess you up, so i'm being cautious.

I click on the link at the bottom of your PM, it says FastReply, but looks like would post to the thread.

Is FastReply private or public?

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!