Am I Infected?

I have had some symptoms like frequent BSODs, aero turning off after waking up from sleep, WMP saying things like database currupted and stops working (even tho I never use it), some random breif moments where the computer gets laggy but the computer is like 7-8 years old and I already did have to get a ne video card. I use norton 360 and did a full scan, it found a couple tracking cookies and "WS.Malware.1" and quarantined it. For some reason McAfee security scan plus is on my computer (I think my brother or something installed it but i dont know for sure). I did a quick scan with malwarebytes (free) and it found 1 thing. It was malware, and I deleted it. I updated the drivers for my video card because some site said that outdated drivers could be a problem. Some of the BSODs I get are strange though, it has a white background and very light blue text. Its almost unreadable. Whenever I pause the scan with MWB i get a blue screen (normal BSOD though, bug?). uTorrent is uninstalled (there is really no uninstall i just deleted the utorrent.exe). I did do a full scan earlier (2 days ago i think) and a little after it started a black screen just appeared so I powered off the computer. Then a hard drive consistancy test appeared (I have no idea what that is) but I looked closely at it and it had no bad sectors or anything like that. There are no new tasks that show up on task manager. I am currently doing a full scan with malwarebytes but that will take like 4-5 hours. Any help would be perfect.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,
my name is Marius and I will be assisting you with your Malware related problems.

Before we move on, please read the following points carefully.

• First, read my instructions completely. If there is anything that you do not understand kindly ask before proceeding.
  • Perform everything in the correct order. Sometimes one step requires the previous one.
  • If you have any problems while you are follow my instructions, Stop there and tell me the exact nature of your problem.
  • Do not run any other scans without instruction or Add/ Remove Software unless I tell you to do so. This would change the output of our tools and could be confusing for me.
  • Post all Logfiles as a reply rather than as an attachment unless I specifically ask you. If you can not post all logfiles in one reply, feel free to use more posts.
  • If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, then this thread will be closed.
  • Stay with me. I will give you some advice about prevention after the cleanup process. Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean.
  • My first language is not english. So please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to read. Thanks for your understanding.

Which windows version is running? Tell me if its 32- or 64bit, too!

Please download Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool to your desktop: FRST 32bit or FRST 64bit (If not sure: Start --> Computer (right click) --> properties)

• Run FRST.
  • Don´t change one of the checkboxes and hit Scan.
  • Logfiles are created on your desktop.
  • Poste the FRST.txt and (after the first scan only!) the Addition.txt.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit from here Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and save it to your desktop.

Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided on that same page.

Caution: This is a beta version so please be sure to read the disclaimer and back up any important data before using.

• Double click the mbar.zip file to open it, then 'Extract all files'.
  • Double click the mbar folder to open it, then double click mbar.exe to start the tool.

Check for Updates, then Scan your system for malware

If malware is found, do NOT press the Cleanup button yet. Click EXIT.

I'd like to see the log first so I can see what it sees. You'll find the log in that mbar folder as MBAR-log-<date and time>***.txt . Please attach that to your next reply.

Scan finished, nothing appeared. Log:

Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Family :: FAMILY-PC [administrator]

6/24/2013 1:39:56 PM
mbam-log-2013-06-24 (13-39-56).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 562670
Time elapsed: 4 hour(s), 3 minute(s), 54 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

I dont really use IE, I use chrome.

I downloaded FRST 32 bit (because thats what im running, right? And the program ran, like the blue curser spiral thing spun then I got a long error number and then "Consent UI for administrative applications stopped working and was closed" from the windows errors. Should I download 64 bit instead?