System Care Antivirus

A friend has the System Care Antivirus rogue program on his Windows 7 32 Bit computer.

I tried to run various anti rootkits prior to MWB, but the virus kills the download, even if the file is renamed.

I updated MWB, ran a scan & removed the infected files listed.

After the restart I ran another scan & there were no issues found.

I then tried to open Microsoft Security Essentials , but had the following message.

"Windows cannot access the specified device. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access."

I still can't get any files to download, including Hijack This & get a message saying "Virus was deleted",or similar -even in Safe Mode.

The MWB log follows

Any help would be appreciated

Dennis

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.06.20.04

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 NTFS (Safe Mode/Networking)
Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16618
20/06/2013 09:40:21
mbam-log-2013-06-20 (09-40-21).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 234072
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 13 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 1
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce|C08CB9811AFDAA750000C08BF8FAB003 (Trojan.FakeAV) -> Data: C:\ProgramData\C08CB9811AFDAA750000C08BF8FAB003\C08CB9811AFDAA750000C08BF8FAB003.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Detected: 3
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|AntiVirusDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and repaired successfully.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and repaired successfully.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and repaired successfully.

Folders Detected: 1
C:\ProgramData\IBUpdaterService (PUP.InstallBrain) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Detected: 3
C:\ProgramData\C08CB9811AFDAA750000C08BF8FAB003\C08CB9811AFDAA750000C08BF8FAB003.exe (Trojan.FakeAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-960038448-2275100395-2325675950-1000\$R540E74D4 (Trojan.FakeMS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\ProgramData\IBUpdaterService\repository.xml (PUP.InstallBrain) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

Hi there,
my name is Marius and I will be assisting you with your Malware related problems.

Before we move on, please read the following points carefully.

• First, read my instructions completely. If there is anything that you do not understand kindly ask before proceeding.
  • Perform everything in the correct order. Sometimes one step requires the previous one.
  • If you have any problems while you are follow my instructions, Stop there and tell me the exact nature of your problem.
  • Do not run any other scans without instruction or Add/ Remove Software unless I tell you to do so. This would change the output of our tools and could be confusing for me.
  • Post all Logfiles as a reply rather than as an attachment unless I specifically ask you. If you can not post all logfiles in one reply, feel free to use more posts.
  • If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, then this thread will be closed.
  • Stay with me. I will give you some advice about prevention after the cleanup process. Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean.
  • My first language is not english. So please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to read. Thanks for your understanding.

Please download Gmer from here by clicking on the "Download EXE" Button.
  • Double click on the randomly named GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent.
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO.
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following ...
    • Sections
    • IAT/EAT
    • Show All ( should be unchecked by default )

[*]Leave everything else as it is. [*]Close all other running programs as well as your Browser. [*]Click the Scan button & wait for it to finish. [*]Once done click on the Save.. button, and in the File name area, type in "ark.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post. [*]Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop. [*]Please post the content of the ark.txt here.

**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

Please download Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool to your desktop: FRST 32bit or FRST 64bit (If not sure: Start --> Computer (right click) --> properties)

• Run FRST.
  • Don´t change one of the checkboxes and hit Scan.
  • Logfiles are created on your desktop.
  • Poste the FRST.txt and (after the first scan only!) the Addition.txt.

Fix with FRST

• Open notepad (Start =>All Programs => Accessories => Notepad).
  • Please copy the entire contents of the code box below.
    (To do this highlight the contents of the box, right click on it and select copy. Right-click in the open notepad and select Paste).
  • Save it to the same direction as frst.exe (or frst64.exe) as fixlist.txt.

HKLM\...D6A79037F57F\InprocServer32: [Default-fastprox]  ATTENTION! ====> ZeroAccessSearchScopes: HKLM - {0633EE93-D776-472f-A0FF-E1416B8B2E3A} URL =HKCU SearchScopes: DefaultScope {4A64D034-3F8B-4085-9A14-1E123E4463A4} URL =SearchScopes: HKCU - {4A64D034-3F8B-4085-9A14-1E123E4463A4} URL =SearchScopes: HKCU - {CD403CEA-63F7-49D9-8437-42B5FF9F3E19} URL = http://search.condui...ultsExt.aspx?q={searchTerms}&SearchSource=4&ctid=CT3196716BHO: WiseConvert Toolbar - {ebd898f8-fcf6-4694-bc3b-eabc7271eeb1} - C:\Program Files\WiseConvert\prxtbWise.dll (Conduit Ltd.)Toolbar: HKLM - WiseConvert Toolbar - {ebd898f8-fcf6-4694-bc3b-eabc7271eeb1} - C:\Program Files\WiseConvert\prxtbWise.dll (Conduit Ltd.)Toolbar: HKCU -WiseConvert Toolbar - {EBD898F8-FCF6-4694-BC3B-EABC7271EEB1} - C:\Program Files\WiseConvert\prxtbWise.dll (Conduit Ltd.)DPF: {03F998B2-0E00-11D3-A498-00104B6EB52E} http://components.vi...MetaStream3.cabC:\Program Files\WiseConvertC:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-960038448-2275100395-2325675950-1000\$98192cd187934e058b1c481cb558913eC:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-18\$98192cd187934e058b1c481cb558913eC:\Users\xxx\GoToAssistDownloadHelper.exeDeleteJunctionsIndirectory: C:\Program Files\Windows DefenderDeleteJunctionsIndirectory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client
    NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
  • Run frst.exe (on 64bit, run frst64.exe) and press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • The tool will make a log (Fixlog.txt) which you find where you saved FRST. Please post it to your reply.

We´re not finished yet!

Please go to here to run the online scannner from ESET.

• Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activex control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked
  • Click on Advanced Settings and ensure these options are ticked:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
  • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
  • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology

[*]Click Scan[*]Wait for the scan to finish[*]If any threats were found, click the 'List of found threats' , then click Export to text file.... [*]Save it to your desktop, then please copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

Delete the file - it is no virus, but contain security risks.

Then we can do the cleanup - if you are facing any issues, report that immediately.

Scan with adwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner to your desktop.

• Run adwcleaner.exe.
  • Hit delete.
  • When the run is finished, it will open up a text file.
  • Please post its contents within your next reply.
  • You´ll find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[s1].txt also.

SecurityCheck

Please download SecurityCheck: LINK1 LINK2

• Save it to your desktop, start it and follow the instructions in the window.
  • After the scan finished the (checkup.txt) will open. Copy its content to your thread.

Please see below & attached

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.67 

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 (UAC is disabled!)

Internet Explorer 10 

``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````

Windows Security Center service is not running! This report may not be accurate!

Windows Firewall Enabled! 

Microsoft Security Essentials  

Antivirus up to date! 

`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300 

CCleaner    

Java 6 Update 37 

Java version out of Date!

Google Chrome 27.0.1453.110 

Google Chrome 27.0.1453.116 

````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````

Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe

`````````````````System Health check`````````````````

Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0%

````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

AdwCleanerS1.txt

Then your system is free of malware! :)

Java update update

Your Java runtime environment is outdated. We will fix this.

• Get the actual JRE from here
  • Save jxpiinstall.exe to your desktop
  • Close all running programs, especially your browser(s)
  • Run jxpiinstall.exe. This will download the newest JRE installer ( Java 7 Update 4 ) and install the software
  • when finished, go to
    Start-->control panel-->add/remove programs and remove all older Java versions. (if existing)
  • When finished, reboot your computer.

After the reboot

• Open control panel again and click the java symbol.
  • Click Settings under Temporary Internet Files.
    The Temporary Files Settings dialog box appears.
  • Click Delete Files.
    The Delete Temporary Files dialog box appears
  • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files window.
  • Click OK again.

Uninstall our tools.
Please follow these steps in order:

1. In the case we used Defogger to turn off your CD emulation software. You can start it again and use the Enable button.
  2. In the case we used Combofix. Deactivate your antivirus software once more, then rename the combofix.exe to uninstall.exe and run it one last time. You shall be noted that Combofix has been removed.
  3. In any case please download delfix to your desktop.
    • Close all other programms and start delfix.
    • Please check all the boxes and run the tool.
    • delfix will now delete all found traces of our removal process

[*] If there is still something left please delete it manualy.

Reading Material
How to protect yourself

• System Updates
    Beeing up to date is very important. Please be sure to activate automatic updates in your control panel.
    Windows XP | Windows Vista |
    Windows 7 | windows 8
  • Protection
    What you need is one (not more) good virus scanner with backgroud protection. Additionally I recommend a special malwarescanner that you run from time to time.
    Personally I am using the avast! Antivirus Free Edition and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. They offer you good protection for free use. But please remember: You get only the full protection if you use the payed versions of your security software.
  • Up to date Software
    Stay up to date with all the programs you use. Some of those really have to have an eye on are: your browser(s) including add-ons and plug-ins, Java, Flash Player, your virus scanner, and basically every software you use often. These link may help you to check:

[*] Backups
    There are chances for an emergency every day. So be prepared. Back up your data on a regular basis. If you burn it to DVDs from time to time, use a cloud-drive or a professional network backup system is your choice. [*] Brains
    It's no joke! You really need one of those things. :) It is very important not just to click anywhere it is colored or flashing while you surfing on the web. Do not click an OK button on any popping window without reading what it says. While installing software always choose the custom mode, read what those windows says and uncheck adware that will be installed along the software you want.

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!