Secunia PSI 3

Hello! :)

I was doing some research online and I came across this piece of software that is said to help keep your computer fully patched.

My question is, what do the experts here on the Malwarebytes forums think about this software? If you have heard of it or used it.

I went to there website and it seems like it would be a nice layer of protection to make sure all software is kept up to date.

I am very picky and try to keep my software fully updated at all times so I figured this would be a nice little tool to have.

I read some reviews, some were positive, some were negative, so its all up in the air for me at this point.

What are everyones opinions on Secunia PSI 3?

Thank you for any feedback! :D

What are everyones opinions on Secunia PSI 3?

Hi -

I have used PSI for a while now. I used PSI 3 for a few months, and then I went back to version PSI 2.

The interface just seemed easier for me to use, and it seemed that the reports were eaier for me to handle.

Others may like the PSI 3, and it works OK, but this is just my personal view on this good program.

Regards -

I used PSI for a while, but kept finding it to be lacking with regards to actually notifying me in a timely manner when a piece of software was out of date. I check for software updates pretty regularly manually and found that PSI would almost never notify me of a software being out of date before I'd already updated it on my own.

If you use OSI as David recommended or actually use the manual scanner in PSI, it works just fine because it checks then and there for outdated software, however the 'realtime' monitor in PSI is what I have issues with because, as I said, it doesn't seem to check as regularly as it should to be of any real use to me.

I used PSI for a while, but kept finding it to be lacking with regards to actually notifying me in a timely manner when a piece of software was out of date.

Hi exile -

Did you use the PSI tray icon. As mine is Green and turns Red to notify me if I need updates on "most" programs installed.

The tray icon waits for all installed programs to start, and then checks for updates/patches, if I ask it to, or else, automatically.

This was where Version 2 seemed better than later versions (like version 3).

Thanks -

Hi exile -

Did you use the PSI tray icon. As mine is Green and turns Red to notify me if I need updates on "most" programs installed.

The tray icon waits for all installed programs to start, and then checks for updates/patches, if I ask it to, or else, automatically.

This was where Version 2 seemed better than later versions (like version 3).

Thanks -

Yes I did. It always showed green. For example, Flash Player would run pretty much every single time I used my browser, yet Secunia never once turned red to notify me when a new version had been released, yet I'd check the Flash About page and find an update available for it (one which included security patches). The same goes for Thunderbird, Steam, Java (when I had it installed) and Firefox. My best guess is that they simply didn't update as frequently as I checked to see if my software was out of date so I was always ahead of them/their database.

I'm currently using it on my Windows 7 laptop and I must say it's been extremely helpful. So far, I have not seen any conflicts either. I would recommend it to make sure your programs are up to date.

Also, I just realized this but if you have Avast Internet Security there's a built in software updater included with it. Although, it doesn't let you know about Microsoft updates unlike Secunia PSI.