Tips and advice for using HostsMan

I had just read this article from malwarebytes' blog...

http:

//blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2012/10/pick-a-download-part-2/

...but would like some tips and advice, from knowledgeable members of this forum, on the usage of HostsMan.

I recalled the previous time I tried the program (yesterday I think), it caused my computer to freeze when updating.

Apart from the host sources stated in the blog (i.e. Malware Domain List), are there other host sources that you can recommend?

In addition to the defaults that it comes with along with Malware Domain List, I also use Chameleon which blocks ads (some of which aren't covered by the other ad blocking HOSTS files on the list). It may be added as a source via the following URL:

http://sysctl.org/cameleon/hosts.win

As for your system freezing, I'm not certain as I've never experienced that myself, but I would recommend allowing HostsMan to disable the DNS Client Service if you haven't already, as having it enabled with a large HOSTS file can cause serious performance problems.

You also might look into using HostsServer as it tends to improve browsing performance when using a large HOSTS file as well and is from the developers of HostsMan.

Thanks for the reply! ^_^

I took some screenshots while installing the HostsMan and had DNS Client Service enabled after the installation (which probably explains the freezing). Other settings changed would be "overwrite the current hosts".

I will try installing HostMan again with HostsServer (and DNS Client Service disabled) in a VM using VirtualBox to familiarise myself with the program for a few months.