Manual defintions updates coming in very slowly

Last three days (use Malwarebytes 1.175.0.1300 Free) updating via manual updates is very slow. I see 150-195 Kb/sec. Normally I see 1.3 to 1.4 kb/sec so that usually takes less than 2-3 seconds to dowload.

At 150-195, it takes +30 seconds to download the definitions file.

Sometimes an update will be fast as normal, but most of the time lately, has not. Out of five to six, maybe one is at normal speed.

Win 7 HP 64-bit, 2.8 Pentium D, 2 GB RAM

Just checking to see if it is just me?

Hi, mchain:

Welcome. :)

Until one of the MBAM staff arrives, I have not personally noticed such a problem.

Unless there was some sort of server issue with the update servers, I would guess that it probably relates to your internet connection speed and/or ISP more than anything else, though I suppose it could be partially due to a hardware or software issue on your system.

FWIW, if you were to upgrade to MBAM PRO -- which currently offers a one-time purchase of a lifetime license for the consumer version -- your updates would be incremental. These would be smaller and faster. (Along with scheduled scans/updates and active, real-time protection, this is one added feature of the PRO version.)

If you would like the MBAM staff to take a peek at your system "under the hood", please follow the instructions below and post back with the following logs as attachments to your next reply:

• Checkresults.txt from mbam-check
  • A couple of protection logs, if you have them**
  • DDS.txt from DDS
  • Attach.txt from DDS

These will provide the MBAM staff with a bit of information that will permit them to pinpoint the cause and the solution for you.

It would also be helpful to know how you connect to the internet (dial-up, DSL, cable, etc), and whether other, non-MBAM downloads of other files are also slow?

Thanks!

daledoc1

-----------------------------

Step 1 -- Create an mbam-check log:

Download mbam-check.exe from HERE and save it to your desktop.

Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file.

Please attach to your next reply the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop.

Then, if you can, please also upload your 3 most recent Protection module logs:

In Windows XP, these logs are located in: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

In Windows Vista/7/8, these logs are located in: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

(**Since you are running MBAM Free, you won't have these logs on your system.)

Step 2 -- Run DDS and create 2 logs:

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once it is downloaded, you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please attach both of the following logs to your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    --->You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

@ daledoc1,

Thanks for replying.

I've gone and dowloaded these two files and will run them sometime tomorrow. Resulting logs will be attached in next reply.

Really do not expect any anomolous findings, but one never knows, which is why this post exists in the first place.

Last two manual updates v.2013.06.01.03 and 2013.06.01.04 have updated at the usual download speed of 1.3-1.4 Mb/sec, so....

@ daledoc1,

Thanks for replying.

I've gone and dowloaded these two files and will run them sometime tomorrow. Resulting logs will be attached in next reply.

Really do not expect any anomolous findings, but one never knows, which is why this post exists in the first place.

Last two manual updates v.2013.06.01.03 and 2013.06.01.04 have updated at the usual download speed of 1.3-1.4 Mb/sec, so....

OK, gone and run the malwarebytes program and got the log. See attached.

Since the manual updates have resumed downloading at the usual speed since v.2013.06.01.03, maybe hold off on the dds file unless you need it? Will run that program if you still need it and attach in my next reply.

Did have the same issue with a networked XP Pro SP3 system in the same time frame here, but now seems to be OK, so...

Based on what you see, MBAM staff will assist?

Hi, not seeing any attachment. :(

Try: "More Reply Options" (lower right of display) > then, find the paperclip in lower left of display > browse > navigate to file to be attached > open > attach this file.

Let us know if you need screen shots to illustrate the steps.

It would help to have both the checkresults.txt log AND the 2 logs from DDS (DDS.txt and attach.txt), if you are still experiencing issues.

It would also help to know what type of internet connection you have (dial-up, DSL, cable, etc) and if any other downloads (besides MBAM database updates) seem to be slow, too.

Thanks,

daledoc1

This could have been a temporary issue with our CDN which handles the updates in your area. Such problems occur from time to time but are usually fixed quickly. If it happens again, please don't hesitate to contact us, especially if it lasts longer than a day (though it shouldn't take that long to correct itself in most cases).