start.iminent

Hi - new to Forum in the hope that I can find a way to remove the above 'virus'. It infiltrates a system by replacing the browser with it's own version but also produces bogus pop-ups and generally slows down the operating system. I was surprised to find that i am the first to comment on it - there are several guides via 'Google' offering removal help but some conflicting. Any help would be grateful.

Regards

Chris

Hi again - I thought i had posted incorrectly so was preparing to delete and repost but the thread you sent me to says 'locked'.

Basically for anyone that reads this - the free version of Malwarebytes cannot currently detect the 'start.iminent' browser hijacker but possibly the purchased version would fare better.

Regards

Chris:

Both the free and paid-for versions use the same signatures. The difference is the pro-version is a pro-active application for assistance in preventing an infection. The free free version is an "On Demand" scanner only.

The post Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers is locked because it is an instructional post. It explains how to obtain assistance for users who have a paid-for, pro-version, license and for users of the free version pointing to; I'm infected - What do I do now?

Please read and follow the instructions.

Different sub-forums have different purposes and one needs to read before posting. This sub-forum indicates the following...

PC Help

Post your Windows, Hardware, Networking, and Software questions here. Please do not post any questions regarding malware in this forum.

BTW: 'start.iminent' is not a virus. It is a very wide misperception that all malicious software are viruses. All Malicious Software is malware. All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses.

Thanks David for correcting me - I kind of knew this having programmed Cobol (possibly when you were a junior ) but it was still very sloppy of me. I also apologise for not adhering to the codes of practice of this forum (so sorry sub - forum) and I promise it won't happen again as this is my last post on this thoroughly* welcoming site.

*old English spelling here, and no apologies.

Chris:

Don't sweat it. No need to apologize. It's no big deal.

This forum is here to support the Malwarebytes product but more importantly... helping people. I'm just trying to steer you in the right direction since you appeared to have stumbled along that path.

oddly enough , my spelling tends to be "old school" as well . :lol:<_<

yep , it can be a bit confusing as to where one is (supposed to be) posting ...

just like many other areas of endeavor , sometimes it can all be clear as mud .