Norton vs Malwarebytes

Hello and welcome, Iceman107:

Until one of the MBAM staffers arrives, these recent posts by forum moderator exile360 explains what you're seeing: http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=678386 and http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=672049 and http://forums.malwar...dpost&p=675679.

There's also this one from the forum admin, AdvancedSetup: http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=675803

Someone from the staff will be able to explain more directly, and, hopefully, to provide a status update re: communications with Symantec/Norton.

Thanks for your patience and understanding:

daledoc1

For the record, here is a post I put up today on Norton's forum site:

Iceman107

Visitor

‎05-18-2013 11:14 PM

Well since Norton has thusfar failed to properly acknowledge this problem in the form of issuing a patch and admitting their error I must continue with the pile-on:

I (like other Norton subscribers) have (and will continue to do so) used Malwarebytes in conjunction with Norton. Been using both for years. Apparently Norton now feels threatened by Malwarebytes to the point of issuing in their recent update that anyone using Malarebytes will NOT be able to also use Norton and request that we THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE PAID OUR HARD EARNED MONEY FOR THEIR SECURITY AND ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM delete Malwarebytes if we want to continue the benefits of Norton's service...THAT WE ALREADY PAID FOR!

In other words, users of Malwarebytes are being **bleep**-slapped by a jealous Norton who holds our security and anti-virus program hostage until we delete Malwarebytes! Are we going to stand for this bull**bleep**? Sounds to me like Norton owes me for the FULL cost of purchase of their program and than I can move on to a FAR better program that 'plays nice' with Malwarebytes...namely Kaspersky.

What's it gonna be Norton? It's been long enough! It's time to **bleep** or get off the pot...and cut me a check!

To be clear Exhile 360, Norton has MORE than issued a warning on this matter, at least in MY experience.

My Norton program cannot be opened as long as I have Malwarebytes on my computer. So here I am paying for their program while they hold it hostage and leave me succeptable to virus's, worms and malware, etc...

Norton's gotten too big for their britches. Maybe the time is ripe to kick them to the curb!

Well, I think I've waited long enough and unfortunately it's Malwarebytes who must lose out.

In order to protect my system with Norton's Security Suite I have no choice but to remove your software, as my internet provider incorporates Norton into their service without an additional charge I'd be a fool to go any other way.

I will however RE-download your program should the need arise. Sorry you two couldn't resolve this matter.

Well, I think I've waited long enough and unfortunately it's Malwarebytes who must lose out.

In order to protect my system with Norton's Security Suite I have no choice but to remove your software, as my internet provider incorporates Norton into their service without an additional charge I'd be a fool to go any other way.

I will however RE-download your program should the need arise. Sorry you two couldn't resolve this matter.

We did resolve it, however Norton has yet to roll out the patch.

I have encountered with same problem of Norton AutoFix after I install Norton 360 today with my MBAM already existed in my system which has been used for years.

Please provide details of inclusion MBAM to Exclusion List of Norton to overcome the problem as that may face with later again I guess. Many thanks!

I have encountered with same problem of Norton AutoFix after I install Norton 360 today with my MBAM already existed in my system which has been used for years.

Please provide details of inclusion MBAM to Exclusion List of Norton to overcome the problem as that may face with later again I guess. Many thanks!

The issue at hand/warning from Norton's products actually has nothing to do with exclusions. Norton simply checks to see if Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is installed, and if it is, it shows the prompt/notification. Setting exclusions does not eliminate the warning from Norton's products, so until they issue a patch removing the notification, users will still be prompted to uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

• Root Admin

Just a note though that in order to fix this it may not be just a minor push update for them. It could potentially require may an engine update or similar which in theory can take months to reach the proper program refresh cycle.

As we don't have intimate details on that level its still a guess on our part but even our own program would need to wait for a refresh if it had to do with an engine update.

Just a note though that in order to fix this it may not be just a minor push update for them. It could potentially require may an engine update or similar which in theory can take months to reach the proper program refresh cycle.

As we don't have intimate details on that level its still a guess on our part but even our own program would need to wait for a refresh if it had to do with an engine update.

Yes, that's correct. In fact, this notification started after the last patch from Symantec was released for their Norton products. It was indeed an engine upgrade (though a minor one, not a full program version upgrade).

Hopefully they'll issue the patch to fix this issue soon, but that's up to their development team.

exile360 / AdvancedSetup : thanks a lot for the information. I think that Norton will tend to amend or improve their engine upgrade if you can forward your forum members feedback on that problem encountered !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I belive a chat support agent at Norton has shown me how to fix this myself: (No need to wait for Norton's patch.)

Jalli,Suman Babu: Open Norton Security Suite.

Before you exclude the file. Please disabled Auto Protect on Automatic protection tab.

Steps to turn off Auto Protect:

- Click on Settings.
- Click on Antivirus.
- Select Automatic protection tab
- Turn Off Auto Protect.

Jalli,Suman Babu: Steps to Exclude File :

- Click on Settings.
- Click on Antivirus.
- Select Scans & Risks tab.
- Click on Configure beside Items to Exclude from Scans.
- Select the file path of the .exe of the program which you have downloaded or installed.
- Again Click on Configure beside Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR Detection.
- Select the file path of the .exe of the program which you have downloaded or installed.