Features that I would like to see

ThomFrost

Sorry if this has been posted already but i looked a few pages back and didn't see it.

First off by letting me introduce myself.

I am Thom Frost and I have used Malwarebytes for awhile now both personally and professionally.

I have bought several copies for myself and friends and family.

Now to the topic:

1) A registry cleaner.

2) Reset Admin rights and privileges. I find that some malware and viruses will change admin rights and privileges so you can't access things like regedit, and you then get the message "This can not be performed because you have insufficient rights and privileges"

3) A version of Malwarebytes that can be ran from a flash drive with out having to be installed on a system because a virus will not let any new programs to be installed by changing the admin rights to the system.

4) Some systems I work on connection to the internet is impossible so it would be nice to have a way to do a offline update. Right now I copy my rules.ref from my system to the target system.

Greetings and welcome to the forum :P

As far as your requests, some of them have been made and others are already implemented (sort of):

• I doubt a registry cleaner would be implemented since freeware tools like Ccleaner already exist, and some PC experts recommend against their use due to potential problems in deleting keys they shouldn't and no evidence of performance improvement through deleting obsolete keys
  • To a degree MBAM already implements this function, but only for certain keys known to be broken by malware. I don't believe a full reset tool would be created or integrated due to the fact that, especially in a corporate environment, user rights and privelages can be altered for legitimate purposes. Again, free tools like SubinACL (Microsoft) and Dial-a-fix (Lunarsoft) already exist.
  • A portable version has been discussed, but due the program's current reliance on drivers for both detection and removal, implementing portability would be difficult, and would also require recoding into C (which is planned for the future, although whether it will be portable once recoded, I'm unsure).
  • Definitions installer download from GT500.org

I hope I've sufficiently answered your questions, if you have any others please let us know. And thank you for the suggestions, and if you have any others, please keep them coming as the developers here do listen to their users and are always looking for ways to improve their product.

edit: If you'd like a way to make grabbing and installing signatures from an online system to an offline system here's a couple of batch (.bat) files you should find to be helpful:

"C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runupdate
copy "%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref" "%cd%"
echo y| cacls "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Malwarebytes" /G %username%:F
copy "rules.ref" "%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware"

Greetings and welcome to the forum :P

As far as your requests, some of them have been made and others are already implemented (sort of):

• I doubt a registry cleaner would be implemented since freeware tools like Ccleaner already exist, and some PC experts recommend against their use due to potential problems in deleting keys they shouldn't and no evidence of performance improvement through deleting obsolete keys

• To a degree MBAM already implements this function, but only for certain keys known to be broken by malware. I don't believe a full reset tool would be created or integrated due to the fact that, especially in a corporate environment, user rights and privelages can be altered for legitimate purposes. Again, free tools like SubinACL (Microsoft) and Dial-a-fix (Lunarsoft) already exist.

• A portable version has been discussed, but due the program's current reliance on drivers for both detection and removal, implementing portability would be difficult, and would also require recoding into C (which is planned for the future, although whether it will be portable once recoded, I'm unsure).

• Definitions installer download from GT500.org

I hope I've sufficiently answered your questions, if you have any others please let us know. And thank you for the suggestions, and if you have any others, please keep them coming as the developers here do listen to their users and are always looking for ways to improve their product.

edit: If you'd like a way to make grabbing and installing signatures from an online system to an offline system here's a couple of batch (.bat) files you should find to be helpful:

"C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runupdate

copy "%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref" "%cd%"

copy "rules.ref" "%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware"

Thanks for the response.

The registry cleaner I guess I should had been a little more clear on. When you remove some spyware, malware or viruses they will leave registry entries behind or empty registry entries which can cause issues. The company I work for has a licence for Malwarebytes but not CCleaner so the use of its registry cleaning cant be used.

Yes I know some companies will set restrictions but most personal systems are not, even still it could be a check list of things you could reset. And a good IT person would have a batch file that would change these settings back. But still it would be a nice feature to include.

I know that SuperAntiSpyware has a feature like this but it is limited to some services.

The company I work for has a licence for Malwarebytes but not CCleaner so the use of its registry cleaning cant be used.

CCleaner is Free for anyone to use but its registry cleaning function is not available for scheduling even though it has been requested as it is deemed too dangerous to automatically clean the registry.

That's very true YoKenny1. Generally though, MBAM is pretty good at picking up the traces left behind, at least for malware that it itself detected because reg entries are one of the ways it detects it in the first place. As far as permissions, who knows, it's possible that at some point the developers will include such a feature (most likely as part of the detections in a scan) and give you the option to fix it by "removing" it so to speak (using the remove button in the software that is) and it would repair the permissions for the selected option (not actually delete the reg entries etc.).

Yes CCleaner is free but if you look at the licensing agreement just like with Malwarebytes its free for personal use but for corporate use you have to get permission which involves lawyers and sometimes money for the rights to use. This can take months or longer. It took the company I work for 8 months to get Malwarebytes, well that is from the first time I and others suggested getting it for use. It would be nice if we could use CCleaner and a few other free tools but for the above mentioned reasons we cant just up and use it. And as for registry cleaners that is in most cases a matter of opinion just like some people like Chevy's and others like Ford's, some people have had bad luck with registry cleaners while others like me like and use all the time. Just have to I guess just know enough so that way you don't delete a key, dword or value that you shouldn't. I like the registry cleaner in CCleaner it is one of the easier ones and safer ones I have used. But like I said some people love registry cleaners like me and some hate them or see no value in them, its just a personal preference.

I agree about Ccleaner's reg cleaner, it does work well, at least in my experience. I've only seen a few entries it wanted to delete that it shouldn't, but they are generally few and far between. As far as permissions, subinacl is from MS so you would be able to use it in a corporate environment and Lunarsoft states in their license agreement that Dial-a-fix is free for both personal and corporate use.

According to the Lunarsoft site the only thing you can't do is charge for access to the software (basically hosting it on a website and charging people to download it).

License

Dial-a-fix is 100% freeware to use and redistribute, as long as the file is unmodified (the MD5 sum can be found below) and as long as no money is being charged for access to the file. No mirrors of Dial-a-fix are necessary at this time. When referring to Dial-a-fix, please link to this wiki page rather than directly to the file. It is completely free for personal or corporate use, however, under no circumstances will I take any responsibility for your use or inability to use Dial-a-fix, and its results (or lack thereof).

Dial-a-fix will always be free to use.

Taken from here

Yes CCleaner is free but if you look at the licensing agreement just like with Malwarebytes its free for personal use but for corporate use you have to get permission which involves lawyers and sometimes money for the rights to use. This can take months or longer. It took the company I work for 8 months to get Malwarebytes, well that is from the first time

Please see:

CCleaner for corporate/enterprise use

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=18331

Whenever you have to involve a lawyer then it will slow a project to a snail's pace and usually involve lots of money to be paid so that they can keep their Mercedes gassed and tuned up and take Winter vacations in Florida.

Hah, no kidding. That was news to me so I checked out their EULA

Piriform grants you a limited non-exclusive licence to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software.

2. You must not alter the software, user licence or installer in any way.

3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any distribution.

4. You may not resell or charge for the software.

5. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, derive the source code of or modify [or create derivative work from] the program.

6. You must not use CCleaner to engage in or allow others to engage in any illegal activity.

7. You may not claim any sponsorship by, endorsement by, or affiliation with our company.

8. You acknowledge that Piriform owns the copyright and all associated intellectual property rights relating to the software.

I am still trying to get the hang of batch files... Could you explain what "y| cacls" does? Thanks

swagger (Keith)

As AdvancedSetup stated, echo y| answers yes in the command prompt, cacls changes file or folder permissions. In this case it gives the current user full control of the folder where definitions for MBAM are stored so that the new ones downloaded from the other machine can be copied over. For more info on the Windows command line you can refer to these sites:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490890.aspx

http://www.ss64.com/nt/

http://ucg.tomshardware.com/ucg/