Help with Vista format to remove zeroaccess backdoor virus.

fm88

Hi,

Was looking for some advice to help me remove a zeroaccess backdoor virus. Started a thread last month which MrC helped me with and I chose to take the reformat option to remove the virus.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=125361&hl=&fromsearch=1

I am, however, an amateur at these sorts of things. Currently running Vista Home Premium edition on an HP desktop. I thought I would be able to format the C drive and reinstall vista but it seems that it didn't come with any installation disks. My dad did create some recovery disks however so I'm wondering what my options are? There is also a D:\ recovery drive, but not sure if the infection could be in that? So wondering how to format and get vista back on the pc whilst making sure the virus has been removed as have read that formatting might not always remove it and I wouldn't be able to tell either way!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Fraser

ZeroAccess is a trojan, not a virus. All trojans and viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses.

I suggest you contact HP and obtain the disks for your system. I'm sure there will be nothing more than a nominal cost for shipping the disks to you.