Weirdest Virus I've ever seen

This virus/trojan/whatever pops up as soon as Windows (XP) boots and shows a bunch of multi-colored boxes in boxes and rectangles and whatever. When booting to safe mode, the screen just stays black and no safe mode is booted.

How can mbam defeat this?

Can anyone name this virus? That would be a very helpful start...

Pictures will be coming soon. Feel free to ask any questions that may help

• Root Admin

Don't know, never seen or heard of it myself but if you can't get on and run Anti-Virus tools then please start by downloading and burning this from a friends computer or work computer if you need to and then run it on the box.

Avira AntiVir Rescue System

Requires access to a working computer with a CD/DVD burner to create a bootable CD.

• Download the
    Avira AntiVir Rescue System
    from
    here
  • Place a blank CD in your burner and double-click on the downloaded file.

• The program will automatically burn the CD for you.

• Place the burned CD into the affected computer and start the computer from this CD.

• On the bottom left side of the screen there are 2 flags. Using your mouse click on the British flag to use English.

• Click on the
    Configuration
    button.

• Select
      Scan all files
    • Select
      Try to repair infected files
      and
      Rename files, if they cannot be removed

• Select
      Scan for dialers

• Select
      Scan for joke programs (Jokes)

• Select
      Scan for games

• Select
      Scan for spyware (SPR)

[*]
    Click on
    Virus scanner

[*]
    Click on
    Start scanner
    at the bottom of the screen

[*]
    Currently the program does not support saving a log. Write down the amount of items for Records, Suspect files, and Warnings

The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is a Linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore and is updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.

Screen resolution problems

Please see the post
here
if you're unable to view the entire screen of Avira.

Hey, I tried doing this but I was unable to boot Windows to the CD.

Could you please expand your directions as to be very detailed and include every click? I'm sorry to make it difficult on you, but I have no prior knowledge of doing this. My CD drive is the D: drive, and do I have to reformat the disk too or something?

Sorry...

• Root Admin

You may have to press a key combination to get to a boot menu or go into your BIOS setup and change it so that CD is set to boot first.

Different computers use different keys to run the menu though. ESC, F1, F2, F10 are common keys to use during the bootup process to get either into the BIOS or another Start Menu.

Well, I know a lot about computers, but my knowledge is very limited in this case of booting windows to a CD or Flash Drive.

I have a Dell Demension 8300. I've even tried going into Setup and setting the boot order to run the CD-ROM first.

I am still quite unconvinced that the problem does not lie with the error that I received while finishing the installation, or with the CD itself. Could you please verify if my suspicions are correct?

• Root Admin

Well it very well could be the CD/DVD was not created properly as you say. If you have any other CD/DVD that are bootable to test, then if they boot you know for sure that the CD/DVD was not written properly. You may need to try to download and burn from another PC.

It should boot from it with no problems. There have been other problems due to screen resolution reported but not non booting issues.

So yes your suspicion would seem to be correct that the CD was not burned properly for some reason.

Okay, so to troubleshoot why it is not working, I will list exactly what I did

1. Put TDK DVD+R 1-16X 4.7GB RW disk into burnable drive

2. Right click D: drive

3. Click Format (Sonic DLA)

4. Volume Label: Avira AntiVir Personal

5. Format Type Quick (erase)

6. Click Start

7. All media will be lost (clicked yes)

8. Format Complete (clicked yes)

9. Double-Click on antivir_workstation_winu_en_h.exe

10. Clicked Accept

11. Watched files extract

12. Welcome to setup (clicked next)

13. Clicked next

14. Clicked "I accept" and next

15. Clicked "I accept" and next

16. Clicked Custom and next

17. Clicked Browse

18. Clicked D: Drive and OK

19. Clicked Next

20. Clicked Next

21. Clicked Next

22. Clicked next

23. Unchecked Create a program group in the Start Menu

24. Clicked Next

25. Unchecked both yes boxes

26. Clicked Next

27. Started to Install

28. Error: The file could not be copied. Error code: 2 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application

Data\Avira\AntiVir PeronsalEdition Classic\TEMP\hbedv.key

29. Clicked OK

30. Watched it install and start components and finish installation

31. Clicked Finish

32. Popup: Do you want to start an update now?

33. Clicked Yes

34. Clicked OK on ad popup

35. Free Antivirus Updater finished

36. Clicked Start>Shutdown

37. Clicked F12 rapidly

38. Navigated to IDE CD-ROM

39. Nothing happened and here I am!

• Root Admin

Well I think that is the issue right there with the file name. That is NOT the file I asked you to download.

The file name you should be downloading and using from the link in my instruction is: rescuecd.exe

http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

Try that one which is about 50MB in size and see how that works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.