could this be caused by the faulty update?

I have a friend's laptop. Can't login. Windows 8 computer using a MS hotmail account. Boots up to the login screen. Entering the correct password, verified on another PC, and hitting enter does nothing. I dont even get a "incorrect password" or any such message. Restarting in safe mode doesn't work. <SHIFT> + RESTART only reboots the PC normally.

I removed the hard drive, hooked it up to a working PC and scanned with Malwarebytes and Avast and found zero infections.

Tested the hard drive with the manufacturer's software, it passed. Ran Memtest86+ and passed.

Friend seems to think it was virus related but i'm thinking it's not. My scans would've have found something or at least traces of infection. Have no recovery disks to boot from.

Was wondering if it could be the result of the recent snafu with Malwarebytes.

Thoughts?

Thanks

• Root Admin

Please review the tutorials and see if you can get in and do a Windows repair. You might need to visit the MFG website for the make and model of the computer you have and see if it supports accessing the UEFI boot from startup or not. Its supposed to make things easier and safer but in this case it makes it very difficult to fix when you can't get in to run things

Thanks for the links.

...Its supposed to make things easier and safer but in this case it makes it very difficult to fix when you can't get in to run things

Ain't that the truth. Will be back when, and if, I figure anything out.