***False positive Trojan.Downloader.ED***

exile360

I was able to find a workaround for my personal issue here. I went against my better judgement when I agreed to let this software delete files that I thought were important then tried to reboot.

I was wrong.

I couldn't get my computer back on then, but I can now. I found the Windows 7 reinstallation disk I got with the machine and hit F12 immediately upon powering up. I chose to boot from disk, this gave me the chance to correct startup errors. That didn't work, so I just loaded from a system restore point.

If you have a system restore point or can figure out a way to access one prior to the boot up issue manifesting itself you should be ok.

I hope this helps, it's what worked for me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to find a workaround for my personal issue here. I went against my better judgement when I agreed to let this software delete files that I thought were important then tried to reboot.

I was wrong.

I couldn't get my computer back on then, but I can now. I found the Windows 7 reinstallation disk I got with the machine and hit F12 immediately upon powering up. I chose to boot from disk, this gave me the chance to correct startup errors. That didn't work, so I just loaded from a system restore point.

If you have a system restore point or can figure out a way to access one prior to the boot up issue manifesting itself you should be ok.

I hope this helps, it's what worked for me.

If I could boot my laptop, I'd try some of the suggestions, all I've managed to get is the C:/ prompt when starting in safe mode without networking!

• Staff

Try typing this there and see if system restore will run

Windows xp:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Windows 7 64x

C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-systemrestore-main_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16384_none_9fa9774c3d033420\rstrui.exe

Windows 7 32-bit

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-systemrestore-main_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_46b6260b1492939a\rstrui.exe

and

Windows 8 64x:

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-systemrestore-main_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16384_none_9fa9774c3d033420\rstrui.exe

If it will restore back to a point right before this happened.

Thanks Amateur for the other locations.

Okay...I only have one client so far who is facing this issue.

Although my computer was on, somehow I missed the corrupt update. So my question is this -

If a computer was off during the time of the corrupt update was being downloaded or the corrupt update did not load would it be safe to say that once Malwarebytes does its next update this "False Positive" issue will not rear its ugly head?

Thank you...I appreciate all your hard work with this unfortunate situation and am thankful it missed me...I feel for all of those who were struck with this tragedy.

Thank you for your response!

Mags

Although my computer was on, somehow I missed the corrupt update. So my question is this -

If a computer was off during the time of the corrupt update was being downloaded or the corrupt update did not load would it be safe to say that once Malwarebytes does its next update this "False Positive" issue will not rear its ugly head?

Thank you...I appreciate all your hard work with this unfortunate situation and am thankful it missed me...I feel for all of those who were struck with this tragedy.

Mags

Yes, that's correct. If the computer was off, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will download a newer database where this issue was corrected so this problem will not occur on such systems.

Yes, that's correct. If the computer was off, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will download a newer database where this issue was corrected so this problem will not occur on such systems.

Samuel this is not correct. I was just contacted by a client this morning. He does not run Malwarebytes in real time. Last night (April 16th) he was running virus scans and decided to run MBAM it asked him to install a new version and bam he was hit with this issue!! I now feel I should contact everyone that I have installed MBAM on their computer do a uninstall then redownload it using the update that is posted on this forum. It's going to be a long day!

Okay running the tool or System Restore I have fixe over 155 pcs now. BUT on 3 critical pcs after running the tool it will boot to normal mode BUT I get tons of errors looking for COMCTL32.dll and I do not have time to start hunting all over to figure this out. Is there an easy fix for it? I still have well over 100 more PC';s to fix.

These pc's for some reason all had System Restore protection turned off and have NO RESTORE POINTS. I need this resolved ASAP!!!

Well it hit my pc first, then when I asked my wife to bring me her laptop so I could check online to see if anything had been reported by others the notifications in bottom right were flashing once per second file after file was being quarantined. I had to stop working to sort three computers in my house because they all went well no other way to put it... psycho.

I'd like to request a refund of my pro version how do I go about that?

Thanks

Mags

Correct as the product was never able to install or run the malicious copy of Malware Bytes database against your machine, I dare say malicious because this is one case out of millions where it actually acted as Malware instead of preventing it hear hear on that one. Based on all that has happened despite being a adamant user of Malware bytes since 2006, I will no longer be using this product for fear of this happening again. Three of five pc's in our house were hit, I spent more time fixing and sorting the mess this caused then I did on the pro license, I feel your company is accountable.

You may contact Support here and they will assist you.

Thank you I have submitted a reply. Based on time spent repairing depsite any microscopic fine print I clicked agree to when installing the product (because at this point I truly don't care to hear an arguement over fine print considering the fiasco at hand) I expect a full refund and don't see any reason as to why other than greed or lack of owning up to ones mistakes as to why I would not receive a full refund.

This happened to us using MEE. It is very disappointed and frustrated about MEE. We can't do anything since all the system hang and won't let us login to either domain admin or local admin on the client. We were able to get some clients up by reboot to safe mode and disable all Malwarebytes services.

Thank you I have submitted a reply. Based on time spent repairing depsite any microscopic fine print I clicked agree to when installing the product (because at this point I truly don't care to hear an arguement over fine print considering the fiasco at hand) I expect a full refund and don't see any reason as to why other than greed or lack of owning up to ones mistakes as to why I would not receive a full refund.

Of course, and there's nothing in our EULA (fine print or otherwise) which denies a full refund of the purchase price for the software :).

I'm just sorry you and all these other users have had so much trouble/damage done by this.

WE BOUGHT mee less than 2 weeks. I will dispute to my credit card and get my $$$ back.... Tech support is NOT MUCH HELP. I have been with tech support over emailS back and forth. THERE IS NO REAL PERSON OR PHONE NUMBER TO CALL FOR SUPPORT. ABSOLUTELY, THERE WILL BE NO NO NO RENEWAL. .

OK so none of your solutions worked i lost all my data reinstalling windows i want to be compensated for the loss of data what are you goin to do about the 3 gig of personal pictures music etc that is now gone from my computer because you released a faulty database that ruined my system i am a mb pro user so i payed for my system to get trashed its time you guys made a sticky about compensation for the users who already lost all there data

OK so none of your solutions worked i lost all my data reinstalling windows i want to be compensated for the loss of data what are you goin to do about the 3 gig of personal pictures music etc that is now gone from my computer because you released a faulty database that ruined my system i am a mb pro user so i payed for my system to get trashed its time you guys made a sticky about compensation for the users who already lost all there data

I'm sorry, but it's not their fault you lost your photo's, music, ect., yes they may have crashed the system but they didn't lose the data. The data was still on that computer up until you did a format and reinstall (and even after that via recovery software). It really depends how valuable that data was to you. As a computer technician I can tell you it's trivial to backup data before you nuke the system from orbit.

For future reference you may want to start backing your data up. You do know hard drives die without warning sometimes?

• Root Admin

WE BOUGHT mee less than 2 weeks. I will dispute to my credit card and get my $$$ back.... Tech support is NOT MUCH HELP. I have been with tech support over emailS back and forth. THERE IS NO REAL PERSON OR PHONE NUMBER TO CALL FOR SUPPORT. ABSOLUTELY, THERE WILL BE NO NO NO RENEWAL. .

Hello weester

I can understand your frustration and do empathize with you however whether or not we return you money your computer still needs to get fixed and we have already helped hundreds of users fix their computer at no cost aside from time. I'm sorry but repairing computers can take time.

If you can please let me know the following we'll try to assist you with fixing your computer.

1. What OS are you running? Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

2. Is it the Home Basic or Premium or Pro version of Windows?

3. Is it 32-Bit or 64-Bit?

4. Can you boot into Normal Mode?

5. Can you boot into Safe Mode?

6. What specific error messages are you getting or what specific issue are you having?

I'll be out most of the day but if one of the others has time they can assist you otherwise once I'm back later in the evening I'll continue to assist you further.

Thank you and please try to remain patient and we'll do our best to get your computer running again.

• Root Admin

@noodz617

Unfortunately we won't reimburse you as you or someone assisting you took actions on the comptuer that should not have been done.

That said if the data is important to you then you should shut down the computer now and cease any further use and have a professional assist you with data recovery.

In most cases even with a reinstall of Windows you can often restore most of the user data if you stop using the computer and just shut it down.

Use Yelp.com to locate a reputable data recovery expert in your area and they should be able to help you. Yelp should have recommendations from users such as yourself to rate the shops.

I'm running windows vista home premium 32 bit, I can only boot in safe mode with no networking and I do not get a desktop when the computer is in safe mode.

I've had suggestions to download fixes, which I obviously can't do. I have no second computer to help me, only an iPhone to get on this forum.

It's been a week now and I have photography work to do for clients.

Any idea when there might be a fix coming for my situation?