***False positive Trojan.Downloader.ED***

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm at work now, finally able to download the fix file that Malwarebyte tech supported sent me the link for; I just ran it on my laptop via safe mode and now it's COMPLETELY ruined... I can't even log back in on a safe mode now. I tried running the system repair/restore options but those aren't working either. Sigh.

So Windows Update is broken on my computer, as well. I was able to go into safe mode and download the updater from exile360's first post. I then opened mbam and restored all the files possible. At that point Windows booted normally and seems to be running fine except for Windows Update - it's been stuck at the "Preparing to Install" screen for about half an hour now. Any ideas as to what I can do, since I've already run the update and restored most files?

Also, and this is important Malwarebytes people, you say you've taken "extensive" measures to make sure this doesn't happen again, but we need to know EXACTLY what those measures are. You need to tell us in detail how you plan to prevent another mass CF like this, because if you don't convince me then you can be sure I'll be taking mbam off of my systems and the dozens of client systems I have it running on. I fully recognize that mbam has worked a/v wonders for years now, but this isn't a normal screw-up. I will NOT risk my business and my clients' ability to do business on a product that could bring down dozens or hundreds of computers in the blink of an eye.

I am trying my best to read and understand how to fix this mess that M-BAM has apparently done to my pc, but being a less than savvy pc person, you have left me stranded as to what to do. Cryptui.dll is missing and I can't get past that point. I am even unable to to a hard shut down when I try to boot into safemode which leaves me no alternative than to unplug the computer. What a mess!

Everyone at Malwarebytes apologizes for the problems you're facing. Have you contacted the support staff via the links in the first post? The Support channel is the best way to go if you are not computer savvy as they will be able to walk you through most procedures and your replies / concerns / questions / comments won't get lost as they might here in the forums where anyone can post at any time.

I do advise being patient though - they are slammed, since last night at 6 PM EDT

TYVM - but right now they are helping everyone, paid and not paid. So, if any of your friends have the same or similar issues, even if they are no paid members, tell them to contact support.

Trustme, I will inform them. I have already posted a link to this thread on Facebook

This is mainly for those getting Missing DLL messages or computers stuck in boot loops.

We can confirm that the Windows 7 System File Check works on reacquiring missing system files. The utility will scan the Windows directory and look for corrupted and missing files, then reacquire them as need be.

You will need a Windows 7 installation disc that matches the architecture of the system then follow the steps below:

1. Insert the disc and boot to CD
  2. The installation menu will appear after loading required files – click Next to continue.
  3. The last option on the next window is “Repair your computer” – click this option.
  4. Windows will now search for Installations. It is common for it to not find an installation, so do not fret if none appear. When it is done locating installations, make sure the first radio button is selected (“Use Recovery Tools …”) and click next.
  5. Click the last option on the next window – “Command Prompt”.
  6. Type in the following command with no quotes: “sfc /scannow”
  7. The system should now start checking its files, reacquire any missing, and give you a message that it completed successfully.

This is mainly for those getting Missing DLL messages or computers stuck in boot loops.

We can confirm that the Windows 7 System File Check works on reacquiring missing system files. The utility will scan the Windows directory and look for corrupted and missing files, then reacquire them as need be.

You will need a Windows 7 installation disc that matches the architecture of the system then follow the steps below:

2. The installation menu will appear after loading required files – click Next to continue.
  3. The last option on the next window is “Repair your computer” – click this option.
  4. Windows will now search for Installations. It is common for it to not find an installation, so do not fret if none appear. When it is done locating installations, make sure the first radio button is selected (“Use Recovery Tools …”) and click next.
  7. The system should now start checking its files, reacquire any missing, and give you a message that it completed successfully.

I tried this and I got the message "there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again" Shall I run the command again.,

We have had a couple of computers reporting “There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again” when we run the SFC /SCANNOW like that. One option that could be tried from a forum below is this:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

drive letters might be something to look at. The web page showed a couple of examples as well.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/run-sfc-offline-windows-7-vista/

sorry if this is a stupid question, but in doing this, will I lose files in the process? I do have the problem of boot loops. (note: I am not near my comptuer now so I can't check anything)

sorry if this is a stupid question, but in doing this, will I lose files in the process? I do have the problem of boot loops. (note: I am not near my comptuer now so I can't check anything)

You shouldn't lose files. It's an OS repair tool, built in to the Win 7 install DVD.