Latest update marking critical system files as Trojan.Downloader.ED

fmarinonj

Haven't restarted my system, but stopped MBAM after it declared the entire system as one big virus :-(

When I tried restarting MBAM to get the fix applied, I'm getting

Runtime error '339'

Component 'vbalsgrid6.ocx' or one of its dependecies is not probably registered: File is missing or invalid.

and nothing happens!

MBAM won't even start anymore!

(Btw, this is a free translation, since I'm a German)

Once this gets fixed, it'll be over for MBAM on my systems...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My laptop and my husband's laptop will not even boot now, even trying to do it from recovery discs. Malwarebyes has quarantined too many files for either computer to get past a screen that says...

LogonUIexe - System Error

The program can't start because CRYPTUI.dss is missing from your computer.

We are at a loss? Our two laptops are unbootable.

I had similar issues described throughout the thread. The program deactivated itself by removing files critical for it to run and my PC was saved. I can't run the program now so I'm forced to dig through the quarantine files and see if I can figure out which are bad apples and which aren't. I'm also wondering if I should just wait until the newest update is out to fix this by re installing the program and restoring the quarantined files. I still remember the most recent false positive. This is happening more frequently than ever before and it seems like the users with the instant protection had the worst of the damage. I understand mishaps like false positives are bound to happen, but this is really making me rethink if I should trust this company and its product. I've never had an issue until recently, but I could have had irreparable damage to all three computers in the home. I can't take that chance.

Hope we have more information soon.

I never registered on here until now.

Lucky for me I only run MBAM on demand, and I had only updated a few hours ago....

2013/04/16 03:49:36 +1000 <USERNAME> MESSAGE Executing scheduled update: Daily

2013/04/16 03:50:38 +1000 <USERNAME> MESSAGE Scheduled update executed successfully: database updated from version v2013.04.14.04 to version v2013.04.15.07

Haven't restarted my system, but stopped MBAM after it declared the entire system as one big virus :-(

When I tried restarting MBAM to get the fix applied, I'm getting

Runtime error '339'

Component 'vbalsgrid6.ocx' or one of its dependecies is not probably registered: File is missing or invalid.

and nothing happens!

MBAM won't even start anymore!

(Btw, this is a free translation, since I'm a German)

Once this gets fixed, it'll be over for MBAM on my systems...

I had nearly an identical experience to what you had. I even tried finding the missing file via a google search, but it still wouldn't work. My guess is that we need to wait until the next build. If we've lost files too critical for the program to install correctly, we might have to do some innovation here with the existing quarantine folder. Do not restart your computer! I'm really glad I attached my cooling pad to my laptop today. One overheat and I'd be screwed most likely.

They get returned - but the quarantine may not show that they get returned. Mine still say they're in quarantine even though I verified that hey are back where they belong.

At any rate, read my post just before yours.

I did. My restore point are gone.

And if you've verified they back, then does you system work again?

I would have to reboot in order to run sfc /scannow and I'm afraid I won't be able to do this if I do. Will running a reapir in safe mode work?

My system never stopped working b/c I caught it as it was happening

And another user suggested booting off the Win7 DVD and running scannow /sfc from there.

But instead of asking, contact support from here and let them advise you directly.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=125127&view=findpost&p=669316

• Root Admin

Hey guys, we pulled the bad database after just a few minutes and we're going to be issuing a fix shortly. Keep an eye out on the news forum.

This is absolutely unacceptable to me and our company and we are going to work day and night until we have a solution in place to prevent this from happening again.

My system never stopped working b/c I caught it as it was happening

And another user suggested booting off the Win7 DVD and running scannow /sfc from there.

But instead of asking, contact support from here and let them advise you directly.

http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=669316

Yeah, I already filled out that form on your other page.

I walked away while it was happening and it was around 4,995 items in quarantine by the time I got back. I didn't shut the system off. Not yet. It's still trying to return those items that are in there.

Btw, what's safe mode? F8?

Had the same problem!

Go to the quarantine list, and manually uncheck all the quarantined files.

DO NOT DELETE THE QUARANTINED FILES

To uncheck the quarantined files, use the down cursor and the spacebar to save some time and mouse-click pain.

I had 808 files to unclick.

Then click "Ignore"

An issue like this is nearly unforgiveable, especially to those of us with Corporate versions that have updates and scans automatically configured to run routinely throughout the day.

Interestingly, I only had a problem on one Win7 Ultimate laptop.

build is: 1.65.1.100

db v2013.04.15.13

Scan is running now

The Win8 Pro laptop hasn't been affected - yet but shows

Its build is: 1.70.0.1100

db v2013.04.15.07

This issue MAY have been fixed with MBAM's update v2013.04.15.13

at this point, it's done about half of a full scan without detecting any "trojan"....

• Staff

Yes the Database v2013.04.15.13 and later has this fixed.

We are working on picking up the pieces now from this. This was a failure in the engine to ignore a bad line in the database . To make backwards compatibility work MBAM is supposed to ignore anything that is not in the engine specs and this should have qualified but it didn't. This was a serious multiple level failure that should not have been possible. Support is working on figuring out the best way to restore the systems affected.

Hey guys, we pulled the bad database after just a few minutes and we're going to be issuing a fix shortly. Keep an eye out on the news forum.

This is absolutely unacceptable to me and our company and we are going to work day and night until we have a solution in place to prevent this from happening again.

Thank you for taking the time to post personally. Unfortunately, none of the fixes your support folks have suggested thus far have worked. At least not for us. Where is your official single point of communication that we can follow to get the fastest updates possible for this issue?

Glad I was sitting right here when it started happening after the database updated.

Marcin, if you guys need extra hands LMK.