Enable malicious website blocking

About two weeks ago, in response to a trojan attack, I installed MalwareBytes and seemed to eradicate a number of viruses. Yesterday, in response to the alert that my trial was about up I purchased 7 licenses and activated the software on 7 machines. After each activation I got an acknowledgement that the activation was accepted.

This morning I installed the new version (1.75) on one machine this morning because of the alert that arose from my system tray. The application title bar now says trial instead of Pro. Now the Malwarebytes icons on my desktop and in the start menu have the Windows security shield attached to them. I can't open the program without giving permission to make changes to my computer. In the protection tab, both malicious website blocking and file system protection were turned off. I cannot turn malicious website blocking on. The checkbox will not check. Now, when I check processes in the task manager there are several incidences of iexplore running. In the applications tab one or two incidences of IE are running. The URLs appear to be shopping sites or other sites, some using strange symbols. It seems clear I have become infected. I believe this all started when I responded to the notification that a new version of MalwareBytes is available. Was that alert legitimate? Is any of the above described behavior intended?

Thanks,

John

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Being that you are probably infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you