Hi CPU usage

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot Ron!

Same issue for me.

The icon turns grey in the tray when website blocking is disabled, by the way, is that correct?

If I also disable file protection, it stays grey.

I think it should turn red or something at that point since there is no protection anymore from MBAM!

My system

M2N4 SLI ASUS motherboard

AMD X64 5400

4 gig DDR2 ram

Nividia Geoforce 9800

Sound Blaster Recon 3D PCie

Windows 8 pro

All drivers and Bios up to date.

I am running Windows 8 32 bit, I did an update instead of a clean install so I could not go to a 64bit system, In my case it isn't locking but very high latency. Have used Malwarebytes for quite some time in XP-SP3 without any issues. I installed Windows 8 back in November when it first became available. My computer is at the heart of my AV system I had no issues at all until about the later part of February when I started to experience dropouts and stuttering in audio playback. I loaded a utility called DPC Latency Checker and with its graph running in real time I pulled up the task manager and started to turn on and off running processes. When finally shut down MWBS the latency dropped to a normal range and the dropouts and stuttering stopped immediately. A looked at the CPU and RAM usage graphs show the system is far from being tapped out resource wise. I have not tried shutting down the site filter this is something I really don't need as I have a firefox addon that does that quite well. I like how Malwarebytes works, I really do not want to go elsewhere.

Incidentally I work at the VA and I finally got my turkey XP-Pro machine changed out for Windows 7 last week. At home I was starting to wonder if I made a mistake going to W8, and not W7 it turns out the stuff that irritates me on W8 is also found on W7, and I don't have a problem with the Metro stuff.

I also have recemtly encountered this problem with my XP users. I recommend to all my customers that they purchase Malwarebytes Pro and use it along with Windows Security Essentials or Avast Free (at home). I now have a major problem with my people having older machines that are locking up on bootup with 100% CPU usage caused by MBAM. This has never happened before with a Malwarebytes upgrade. It should be standard operating procedure to test each update with various hardware and OS combinations before releasing it to the public. This is a huge black eye for Malwarebytes which to date is very respected in the IT community.

I also tested the bootup with my dual core Win7 computer and noted there is definitely a slowdown and several 100% CPU usage spikes with the newer (v1.75.0.1300) MBAM versus the same bootup with the website blocking turned off. Turning it on again causes about a 3 minute elevation of CPU usage until things quiet down to a normal level. Since I rarely reboot this computer it was not obvious that there was a problem.

I hope the folks at Malwarebytes find a quick solution.

HOORAY FOR XP !!! Still the most logical, easy to use OS there is,..IMHO. (debatable I'm sure).

I opened a new topic re: the slow PC start-up and PC freezing before I found this topic.

My PC went from 7-9 min to < 2 min after removing MalwareBytes so I'll stay tuned here for the fix.

I sensed it was this Pgm. just by seeing the VERY SLOW recovery after a daily update.

Emachine T5026, XP ServPk 3, 3.06 GHZ, 3GB mem

Same problem here in Germany... Pro-Version, XP Pro SP3, 2 Notebooks,...

Thought first it would be a problem with Avast + MBAM.

Took me the whole weekend to find ... no solution but deinstalling.

Unchecking the runtime options doesn't help, because checked automatically after reboot...

Very glad having found this forum and users with the identical problem.

I'm waiting for a solution as well - but 'm dying for it! Liked the web site blocking feature, which was the reason for buying MBAM Pro.

So please, MBAM staff, go ahead an don't let us down with all the recommendartions given to friends and business partners!

Thx!

Same problem here in Germany... Pro-Version, XP Pro SP3, 2 Notebooks,...

Thought first it would be a problem with Avast + MBAM.

Took me the whole weekend to find ... no solution but deinstalling.

Unchecking the runtime options doesn't help, because checked automatically after reboot...

Very glad having found this forum and users with the identical problem.

I'm waiting for a solution as well - but 'm dying for it! Liked the web site blocking feature, which was the reason for buying MBAM Pro.

So please, MBAM staff, go ahead an don't let us down with all the recommendartions given to friends and business partners!

Thx!

Greetings :)

For now, you may open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and access the Protection tab then uncheck the box next to Start malicious website blocking when protection module starts. and that will prevent that component from loading on boot.

Also keep in mind that we are working on a workaround for this issue which we should be deploying later this week if all goes well with our testing of it. It will occur as part of a normal database update so you won't need to install a new version of the software.

Hi Samuel,

thanks for your immediate reply!

Well, in order to follow your advice I got to reinstall MBAM again.

Strange: unchecking the runtime boxes sometimes does survive a reboot, sometimes does not...

Last time the reboot was fast - runtime options weren't rechecked automatically.

I unchecked the "Start malicious website blocking when protection module starts" now as well. Let's wait and see.

I'll post any further comments on this topic only in the case of trouble.

Otherwise I'm looking forward to your solution.

Since a lot of people will follow your advices: Please let us know as soon as the issue is resolved.

Just updating the database won't give us any information about whether or not we can go back on runtime status!

Well, it's 5:15 a.m. here right now - time for a short nap... :-)

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Samuel,

thanks for your immediate reply!

Well, in order to follow your advice I got to reinstall MBAM again.

Strange: unchecking the runtime boxes sometimes does survive a reboot, sometimes does not...

Last time the reboot was fast - runtime options weren't rechecked automatically.

I unchecked the "Start malicious website blocking when protection module starts" now as well. Let's wait and see.

I'll post any further comments on this topic only in the case of trouble.

Otherwise I'm looking forward to your solution.

Since a lot of people will follow your advices: Please let us know as soon as the issue is resolved.

Just updating the database won't give us any information about whether or not we can go back on runtime status!

Well, it's 5:15 a.m. here right now - time for a short nap... :-)

Thanks,

Michael

You're welcome Michael, I'm glad I could help :). Unchecking the option from the tray should not survive a reboot, if it did, then something went wrong. The only option to prevent it from running on boot is the one I pointed you to in the Protection tab.

We'll definitely post about it once the fix has been deployed.

Thanks for your patience in dealing with this :).

Michael -

If unchecking "Start malicious website blocking when protection module starts" doesn't survive a reboot, then you may have a problem with your boot drive. I would suggest making a complete image of your drive with Macrium Reflect or the like (if you haven't done so recently), then run Crystal Disk Info on the drive to see what the SMART attributes are reporting. If that looks ok, then run chkdsk (check disk) with "Automatically Fix File System Errors" selected. The reason I say this is that the options you select in MBAM are stored in the Windows Registry and the Registry gets written to frequently. Problems writing to or reading from the Registry might be a warning sign that there is a problem with the disk. Aside from that, unchecking the system may take some time to respond when you uncheck the Malicious Website Blocking options in MBAM. You may click the option again, thinking you missed it the first time. This might result in the option being reselected (which would turn M.W.B. back on).

Sounds like there is a fix in the works. Will there be any beta testing for users who have posted here to get involved to make sure that the proposed fix actually works?

The fix will be deployed as a database update. All we're doing is significantly reducing the number of IPs in the website blocking database. That alone should eliminate the problems.

I'm looking forward to the fix.

I just discovered this morning that my husband's XP computer has the same problem as mine. So the only unaffected computer is the XP running the free version.

There is no impact on the Windows 7 computers. MBAM works fine with no 99% CPU usage for 6 minutes.

I'm looking forward to the fix.

I just discovered this morning that my husband's XP computer has the same problem as mine. So the only unaffected computer is the XP running the free version.

There is no impact on the Windows 7 computers. MBAM works fine with no 99% CPU usage for 6 minutes.

Yes, while there is an issue on Vista, 7 and 8 caused by the same large number of IPs, it manifests in a very different manner and isn't generally very noticeable. We had recently added a massive number (in the tens of thousands) of IPs to the Malicious Website Blocking database in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which is what is causing these issues to manifest themselves.

I have an idea:

Since there are a massive number (in the tens of thousands) of IPs you are trying to block, would it be better to do an "on demand" only cloud IP lookup?

Like instead of storing all the IPs locally, only check the IP via cloud when the browser is trying to connect, and cache the results for a period of time, like how DNS does.

The local cache woud only contain resent inquiries and reduce delay/latency of subsequest requests. After a preset time, the cache is expired for that IP and another lookup is made to see if it was added or removed.

• Root Admin

@FremontPC

Yes, but in that case the hardware itself is a bit more why it's noticed. Even without our software or any type of antivirus installed that is a slow computer period so its not a surprise to me that the issue is noticeable.

I've checked this now on 3 of my own personal home computers and none of them show any noticeable sign (none of them are $500 Costco computers)

In fact just last night I double-checked to make sure that none of my computers show signs and posted on a similar topic here

I'm writing this reply on Windows 7 Pro while watching and listening to an HD Music Video on Youtube as well as running a movie on Netflix and I'm also doing a Quick Scan (aside from the audio stepping on each other there is no lag or drop whatsoever for me)

CPU use is at 12% while all of this is going on and I don't notice any lag or audio skips.

So yes, those with lower end computer specs may notice this on Windows 7 or 8 as well but so far its mostly noticeable on XP for various underlying reasons of how Windows operates.

To be of help in dianosing this High CPU usage problem, I am submitting the files from my system.

My PC OS is XP SP3, CPU is AMD Athlon 64 3800, 2 GB ram, system board KN8 SLI, and 2 114 GB drives.

My PC will have 99% CPU usage by mbamservice.exe for about 4 minutes after booting from power off. If I boot up from standby is high CPU usage does not occur.

The PC is fast, up to date, clean and a pleasure to use. The only other virus type software being used with Malwarebytes is Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster.

I have run this PC with these 3 softwares for years with excellent results.

The High CPU usage started about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I believe it was when MB updated to version 1.75.

Here are my files, Thanks for any help, Rob

dds.txt

attach.txt

CheckResults.txt

• Root Admin

Hi ServiceRep

In your case you do have a few things that you should do to try and correct some issues. It probably will not resolve the delay issue but will correct some other items that can cause issues on your computer.

I would recommend following the Steps below

STEP 01

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

STEP 02

Open REGEDIT.EXE and browse to the following key and then remove the found entries in red.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

STEP 03

Disable bit torrent from loading on computer startup. The best option would be to simply quit using P2P software but in anycase I'd stop it from loading with Windows and only start it when you really need to use it as it too is a massive resource hog for the computer and your network speeds.

STEP 04

Your installation of MBAM shows that it has some older files in place for some reason so it's probably best that you follow the directions below to do a clean removal and reinstall of the program.

MBAM Clean Removal Process

That should cleanup some issues for you. Then once we get this other issue corrected you should be in pretty good shape.

I have an idea:

Since there are a massive number (in the tens of thousands) of IPs you are trying to block, would it be better to do an "on demand" only cloud IP lookup?

Like instead of storing all the IPs locally, only check the IP via cloud when the browser is trying to connect, and cache the results for a period of time, like how DNS does.

The local cache woud only contain resent inquiries and reduce delay/latency of subsequest requests. After a preset time, the cache is expired for that IP and another lookup is made to see if it was added or removed.

Again, we already have a solution to this issue in the pipeline, it's simply going to take time to develop it.