Updating old versions

Hi-just wondering if I dont update to the newest version will it still update the definitions? Just wondering.

Thanks

Rod

Greetings :)

Yes, it should, however do keep in mind that with pretty much every new release of the product that we do, there are upgrades to the detection engine itself, enabling it to detect things that would be undetectable with previous versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, so if at all possible, we highly recommend upgrading to the latest build if you can.

Thanks exile-I have been updating new versions just a pain as I always do a clean uninstall,I use the removal tool as that works great,have had problems in the past letting it update itself,no biggie and thanks again.

Rod

You're welcome, I'm glad to be of service :).

You might try doing in-place upgrades again, at least with the newer releases as we've done much to improve how upgrade installs work, including eliminating in most cases the need to reboot the system so a clean uninstall/reinstall should not be required.

Oh forgot someting,if I let it update itself does it leave anything behind(such as the new version somewhere on my computer?)Like in windows folder??

It leaves behind the installer for the new version after it's downloaded it. The installer is located in the same folder as our database under C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on Vista, 7 and 8 or under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on XP.

Also note that at least for now, you'll still have to go through the installation wizard as upgrade installs (even through the scheduler) do not run silently/automatically. If running the Pro version, you'll get a tray notification indicating that a new version has been downloaded and is awaiting installation if you have the setting for it to notify you enabled under Updater Settings, otherwise you'll simply be asked to install the new version the next time you attempt to launch the scanner (mbam.exe).